Hema maps converted to "ozfx3" format .... can you buy them ????

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 02:07
ThreadID: 92475 Views:2666 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I went through the process of buying a new GPS and converting all the maps to "ozfx3" format, maps were Natmap, took near on 2 days so i am over that crud ..............
Now what happened was we used it on our big trip and it was AWSOME to say the least but last week my son pulled out the card and deleted all the "converted" maps and yes i am sure i backed them up but nup i cant find them, when we were on hols we compaired Hema hard maps to the GPS maps and the details were better on Hema so i now want Hema but really DONT want to do the "conversion" again as i am over it ...
So the simple question is can i buy the already converted maps in Hema formats, as long as it dont cost the same as a small car i am happy to pay for it, i am "time poor" atm ........... i am planning our next "big" trip so need to get things sorted, will be in Sept but that is coming up fast eh .. Doomadgee down to Brissy to see family, out to Nimbin cause i want to, back to the coast and work our way back north as far as we can drive without having to swim, yep cape at last :-)
Cheers
Joe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 02:19

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 02:19
Yep thats how they come. No searching or converting required
AnswerID: 480234

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 02:23

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 02:23
Sorry was going to add I have many maps and hema are my least used. Just no detail at all. I use them occasionally for trip planning when just driving roads as there lack of detail makes it easy to work out main routes
FollowupID: 755710

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 02:56

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 02:56
so why was there more detail on the paper "hemas" than Natmaps on the GPS .... or are they both crap, i want to load the best i can get so please let me know eh.. got caught a few time in the Desert tracks, Strazlecki track to Camerons was a bit bland as was Norsman in ......
Cheers
Joe
FollowupID: 755711

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 05:02

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 05:02
ive never found more detail on a hema than a natmap. 100% the opposite most of the tracks i drive arnt on Hema. There fine if your just driving some tourist route but as soon as you turn off thats the end of the hema maps

my most commonly used maps are Natmap, geological survey maps and CALM 50 k maps for the soth west. if i go paper then i use the QPA maps and tracks of WA

I have in electronic form every hema map made in 2008 and in paper form all the maps and tracks desert series but as i said i rarely use them if at all due to the total lack of detail
Might be different in Qld but in WA thats the way it is
FollowupID: 755712

Follow Up By: whisky_mac - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 10:57

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 10:57
Yep, I agree, Hema maps look colourful but no contour lines. I prefer the Topo maps as you can use the contour lines to help find out were you are and what sort of terrain is up ahead.Toppos I prefer for the work in the ranges but the Hema's have there use in the open country.
FollowupID: 755733

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 08:11

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 08:11
I find some maps are very detailed in some areas & not so in others . My garmin oz topo very detailed here in rural s.a but go to Alice springs very average , don't show half the track I have used ....

Has anyone use open street maps ? detail etc

"Strazlecki track to Camerons was a bit bland" ...that's puzzling ...

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 755804

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:20

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:20
Hi

Different scale/types of maps have different uses. Just because Hema maps are small scale and don’t have topo lines doesn’t mean they are of no use to anyone. They have been designed for a specific purpose for a specific market and the makers have done (and are still doing) and excellent job of this. Sounds like they suited Joes requirements up till his point so I wouldn’t be suggesting a change unless they maps could be used for the same purpose.

My guess is if he obtained some 50K maps for the same purpose he uses the Hema maps for he would be disappointed as while they may have more "detail" they don’t have the same information e.g. annotations of town services, phone numbers etc. All good to have 10m contours and many secondary tracks ...but if it’s not the information you require at the scale you want it’s not a benefit. Also many of the larger scale maps (100K, 50K, 25K) are not as up to date as producing them is far more expensive and the market is smaller.

So..don’t get talked into getting larger scale maps on the sole argument they have more “detail”. My suggestion is to get them all to cover all circumstances :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 755811

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 13:10

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 13:10
Mate I went through the same conversion time as you fortunately I have not lost them. I also acquired the Full Hema Map DVD which are already in "ozfx3 Format and loaded them onto my in dash SD Card. So I have both sets of maps loaded and all works fine.

Some of the Hema Regional maps are great with all the detail you need

Cheers
Wayne B
AnswerID: 480260

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:06

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:06
Hello Joe

Some of the Hema maps are available as sets in the exploroz shop

Hema Digital Maps - Exploroz Shop

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 480335

Sponsored Links