IS THIS SCAM or LEGIT ?

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 20:18
ThreadID: 92493 Views:4176 Replies:19 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. I am currently looking at a 4 year pld Prado for sale on the internet. The seller says he is serving with the Australian Armed Forces and is currently training in Tas.
He has furnished me with the following information and link to a holding company.
All 4 tyres changed at 45k kms so plenty of tread. Rego until Apr 2012.
As I previously told you, I am camped in Hobart, Tassie. The car is also here, in a local warehouse, ready to be delivered to the next owner. I really can't handle personally this sale, so I will sell the car through http://topcarmovers.com.au, the shipping company that has the car in custody now. They offer a great service for situations like this, acting as a third party. They can deliver the car at your place and you will have 5 days to inspect it. If you are not happy with it you will cancel the deal and will be fully refunded.

You can read more about it here http://topcarmovers.com.au/how_it_works.php. Let me know if we can seal the deal this way. You can also check that the car is in their custody and to see a brief inspection report here: http://topcarmovers.com.au/inspection.php

If you agree with my terms please register with Topcarmovers and let's get the ball rolling! The payment method is bank transfer. If you don't find my proposal suitable, good luck finding another car!

Anyone heard of this system. Cheers,Bob.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 20:26

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 20:26
Hi,
scam mate.
No one will ship a vehicle from Tas to Port Maq, give you five days to play with it and ship it back giving you a full refund...would you do that for someone you don't know.
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 480296

Reply By: Member - MICHAEL P (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 20:29

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 20:29
This is as scammy as you can get.Your chance of ever getting a refund would be about 1% of your chance of winning lotto
AnswerID: 480297

Reply By: 4 runner - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 20:35

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 20:35
Has SCAM written all over it, just because he is training does not mean he could not do the deal, this is a usual ploy by scum from the African countries that normally involve you paying for the transport of the vehicle up front and depositing the money via bank transfer or western union.

Some poor sods have actually paid for the vehicle up front.

The paperwork that is getting supplied is getting more and more accurate with copies of bank transfers and vehicle movement orders being almost perfect. The company is genuine as is the vehicle, probably just they are piggy backing on it.

Of course this one could be the real deal, but do not pay any money even if they supply you with proof that they have transferred cash to your account until you have that cash in your hand and can access it.

I deal with people that have fallen victim to these scams and it is not nice to tell them there is not much that can be done.

Check out consumer affairs in your state, they will set you straight.
AnswerID: 480298

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 20:44

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 20:44
A very common story Bob
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 480299

Follow Up By: bazz - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 16:59

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 16:59
plenty of scams in the car for sale columns in news papers, when looking for a tow vechile found a cheap Land cruiser ute, the usual ,deceased estate ,i'm over seas' email followed my enquiry, low life scammers....!
FollowupID: 755830

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 20:53

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 20:53
Have a look at this site..

http://www.autoprofessionals.com.au/car-scams/car-movers-fraud-warning/
AnswerID: 480302

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 06:57

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 06:57
Exact same thing,almost word for word. Thanks,heaps. Bob.

FollowupID: 755856

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 21:12

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 21:12
Hi Bob

It is a wonder that the Police have not looked into this person and take the details off of the internet.

There was a lady here in Adelaide a few weeks ago that handed well over $20,000 for a car that was being sold almost identical to what you have said, also by a person in the Armed force and heading for duty overseas. She made contact and all sounded great, but when she placed the money into the A/C, the person could not be contacted, either by internet or phone. The story made the TV news in Adelaide and there was nothing that could be done to track down the lady's money, with the only sound advise, buy a car from a reliable car dealer, and not from the internet.

Keep clear of this scam

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 480305

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 22:26

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 22:26
Police don't really care as it is to hard and not economical to chase these people overseas.

Most you find will use a local Skype phone number and a Gmail, Yahoo or hotmail email address.

Most scam ads have something like this as a contact -
phone 08 8121 3456, email traceyg123e@hotmail.com, Brian, Sailsbury North

The pictures they use are stolen from other ads or they (the scammer) contact the people running legit ads asking for more photos.

There are presently 5 scams like this running in the Adelaide Advertiser as of today.... most have been in their for a few weeks now and 2 I have seen are the same ads that where run about 6 months ago.

I would say I would see a fair few every day in the Advertiser..... cars, 4x4s, tractors, boats, caravans.

Have a look tomorrow Stephen and see if you can pick them in the classifieds..... they are the ones with a picture and contact details similar to the one above.

Obviously the Advertiser gets their money for printing the ad so they are happy..... even if it's from stolen credit cards.

As they say if it's to good to be true then it's not true.

It's surprising how many people who should know better get caught in these scams.

FollowupID: 755794

Follow Up By: whisky_mac - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 11:13

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 11:13
Yeah, I actual took the time to call into the local cop shop to alert them of a scam I had received on my phone, had a gmail address so was a sure bet it was a scam. They are not interested. Want me to do there work for them. Just bl**dy lazy. The cops are not interested unless a member of the public hands them something on a plate and them they are still unable to get of there bums. But there real fast if you are 3kms over the limit on the highway.
FollowupID: 755814

Follow Up By: ross - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 20:30

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 20:30
Why should the cops care if some numpty cant see a scam when its staring them in the face?
Sending money to people you dont know anything about is the dumbest thing anyone could do,no sympathy from me.
This scam is as old as the hills and you know what they say about a fool and his money.
In any case the cops have no jurisdiction outside of their state.

Ive found the best way to foil them is to alert the advertiser.They suffer in the long run from scammers as people become reluctant to buy anything advertised on the net.
There was a spate of scams on Gumtree classifieds but they seem to have largely disappeared .
Gumtree sent me some very grateful emails after alerting them to scams in the caravan and motorcycle section.
Ebay(which own Gumtree) are also very vigilant when it comes to scammers.
Both of these advertisers will often cancel adverts if they are in doubt of its intentions and if the owner of the advert is bona fide, they have to contact the admin and argue their case.
FollowupID: 755844

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:37

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:37
I don't think it's from being lazy..... more like lack of resources and the cost to in trying to get a conviction.

Most scammers operate from countries that have a legal system different to ours that don't want to cooperate with overseas authorities.

Why spend 10's and if not 100's of thousands of $$$$ to get nowhere or a smack on the wrist.

FollowupID: 755868

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 22:08

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 22:08
Just tell them you are holidaying in Tassie and will be in Hobart so if they give you directions you can visit to inspect it prior to purchase.
See what reply you get.

I am sure they will have an excuse not to be able to arrange it.
Keep away from good deals.

Ross M
AnswerID: 480307

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 06:19

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 06:19
Actually advised the seller that my brother was down there touring and he would look at it. No reply as yet. Bob.
FollowupID: 755802

Reply By: J & Me - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 22:28

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 22:28
Agree definite SCAM.
Had similar when selling a camper.
AnswerID: 480308

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 22:51

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 22:51
Just to add to it..... This web site may be bogus, here is a whois search of the web site name.

Domain Name topcarmovers.com.au
Last Modified 14-Feb-2012 04:54:49 UTC
Registrar ID Namescout
Registrar Name Namescout
Status clientUpdateProhibited
Registrant Top Cars Direct Pty Ltd
Registrant ID ABN 46 146 215 054
Eligibility Type Company
Registrant Contact ID NMS2060158
Registrant Contact Name Phillip Railston
Registrant Contact Email philliprailston@gmail.com
Tech Contact ID NMS2060158
Tech Contact Name Phillip Railston
Tech Contact Email philliprailston@gmail.com
Name Server dns.namescout.com
Name Server dns2.namescout.com

Notice the last modified date of only recent and the Gmail email address.

This Phillip Railston is using the details of an seeming legit Adelaide based car reseller to register the .com.au name.

AND check this out...

http://www.autoprofessionals.com.au/car-scams/automobile-escrow-fraud-warning/
AnswerID: 480312

Reply By: cro142 - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 23:10

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 23:10
This SCAM has been around for ages.
AnswerID: 480314

Reply By: get outmore - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 04:02

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 04:02
The only part i dont get is you say you are from NSW now ive never been there but i will bet there are more 4 yo prados there than in any other state you could buy face to face

AnswerID: 480325

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 06:21

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 06:21
Only a couple of low mileage ones, the rest well over 100000 Kms. Bob
FollowupID: 755803

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 06:27

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 06:27
Thanks for all the replies people. The Carsales website have advised me with the following email
BUYER ALERT

""Dear Carsales Network Customer,

Removed or Suspended Advertisement

You recently sent an enquiry on the following item:

AD ID Number: SSE-AD-583604

Description: 2008 Toyota Landcruiser Prado Grande

Rego:

Price: $49,500

Please be aware that this advertisement has been suspended or withdrawn from display on the Carsales Network (this includes Carsales.com.au, Carpoint.com.au and our member websites).

We withdraw or suspend advertisements if we consider that the advertisement may:

be illegal or fraudulent;
infringe the intellectual property rights of a person; or
otherwise be in breach of our Advertising Terms and Conditions.
An advertisement may also be suspended if we consider that the advertisement has been accessed or modified by an unauthorised person.

An advertisement will not be removed because of an incorrect Post Code.

We take this opportunity to remind you that you are solely responsible for your dealings with any seller and urge you to buy responsibly.

Visit www.scamwatch.gov.au for information on learning how to recognise, report and protect yourself from scams. You can also check out the Play It Safer Online section on our website for tips on safe and responsible buying.

WARNING: Recently scammers have sent false emails to consumers about advertisements removed by Carsales. The email is made to look like it was sent by Carsales, verifying the sale as legitimate. If you receive such an email it is likely to be a fake, designed to convince you to enter into a transaction with the scammer – please do not hesitate to Contact us (03) 9093 8666 if you have any doubts or for further assistance.

TAKING CARE ONLINE: We'd like to remind you that even though you use the internet to find vehicles and other items on the Carsales Network. The vast majority of transactions are face-to-face, which means you (or a trusted friend or advisor) should inspect the item and conduct other due diligence (like a REVS check to see if any money is owed on a vehicle) before handing over any money. For more information on buying safely please have a look at our Play It Safer Online section.

NEVER: Send money in advance of receiving the item. Please let us know if a seller asks you to send money first, especially using services such as Western Union or MoneyGram.

Regards,

Consumer Services Team ""

Once again, Thank You for all the responses. Bob

AnswerID: 480327

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 09:00

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 09:00
This link might be helpful.
http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/cscp/eCrime/
It is the Queensland Police web site on internet fraud related crime. (I am sure other states would have a similar site.)
One of the very important issues of internet crime is to define where the offence occurred. For example the victim may reside in NSW, but the offender usually resides in another state or overseas and that is usually where the crime originates from. This site gives a very good explanation of this issue.
Kevin
AnswerID: 480331

Reply By: landed eagle - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:51

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:51
I live in Tassie, not a lot of army training happens here!
AnswerID: 480354

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 15:00

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 15:00
Hi Bob

If you cant look at it (cars, campers, caravans) dont buy it.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 480363

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 20:54

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 20:54
sounds exactly like the low-life who worked in Barcelona but the car was in Tas. in a container ready to be shipped - after you'd paid your money of course.

He says he "can't handle the sale". My ar$e. Give it a miss and save yourself a lot of grief and money.l
AnswerID: 480385

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 20:59

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 20:59
oh, forgot to mention, I wonder if this car is available for inspection?

Nah, just hand your wedge over mate and we'll send the car to you - any probs, we'll fix it. Honest mate.

Don't do it.
FollowupID: 755848

Reply By: Penchy - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 08:25

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 08:25
my grandfather used to say, "a fool and his money are easily parted". I you have to ask the question you may be bordering on the "fool" end of the scale.
AnswerID: 480403

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 19:59

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 19:59
Must be great to be perfect. Wanna share how it is possible.
FollowupID: 755898

Reply By: ltzgonow - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 13:59

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 13:59
This will be a SCAM, the same happened in USA recently with a Powerboat to an Aussie experienced bloke, he was drawn -in by dummy ( but real looking paperwork) the bank transfer went through & the cash went west..he thought it had ALL checked out as safe..WRONG !! luckily it was only a deposit. Deal with who you CAN see.
AnswerID: 480419

Reply By: Kimba10 - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 21:02

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 21:02
Mate all crap. I have reported that many of these scams to ebay I have now given up, they dont give a bleep . There was a prado 3 door ZR I think it was (top of the range 3 door current shape) was so cheap. I had no intentions of buying it but did a Vic roads check on it, come up write off. Now this thing had been re-registered (dont know how). Now it would have to have been some thing big to write off a virtually brand new 4wd worth over 50k new. I emailed him and asked what level did the water get to. (thought Id take a gamble to see if he would answer me ) he did. Just got up to the sills he said, fresh water or salt water ?? He replied fresh water, I sent an email back saying he was full of bleep and I was reporting him to ebay for false advertising. Nothing happend, it sold, but who ever bid on it renigged on it and didnt take it, blow me down it was on there again and sold for more the 2nd time. There are some stupid people around especially when there are that many checks you can do..................Mate the old saying goes "" if its to good to be true then probably is"" Mate not sure how much you want to spend but there are plenty of prados around. May I ask how much you want to spend ?? How many klms you looking at ?? Diesel/Petrol ?? How old ??..................
AnswerID: 480458

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 06:26

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 06:26
Looking for a WHITE 09 GXL Diesel Auto with low K's (say up to 50000)for around $45k. May have found one for $46. The owner still undecided whether to go up to a 200. Thanks,Bob
FollowupID: 755935

Sponsored Links