Caravan TV antennas

We have a Wingaurd TV antenna in our Caravan and we do not all ways get reception when others that do not use a Wingaurd aerial do.

My question to you all is there a better aerial that I can replace the wingaurd aerial with. As my caravan is rather new I do not wish to start drilling holes where I should not so a straight replacement of the wingaurd would be good.

PS : need to keep the little woman happy.

Vern

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Aussie Camper - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 22:41

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 22:41
Not sure if this will help for you but have you looked at
The rv-wing that clips on the Winegard antenna.
This rv-wing is a addon for digital tv cost around $30-$50
AnswerID: 480310

Follow Up By: Member - Vern - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 23:13

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 23:13
Thanks Aussie Camper.
Do you know where to get them, I looked on Ebay and around $80 but would like to purchase one from a supplier( shop).
FollowupID: 755795

Follow Up By: Aussie Camper - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 23:32

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2012 at 23:32
Make sure you get the Australian version that units our frequencies
I havnt used these myself so I can't guaranty it will fix your problem
But I talked to a few people and they said they te happy with it.

http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=10909

http://www.northcoach.com.au/products/Wingman/-RV%252dWING-UHF-Add%252dOn.html

http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/p/4564761/winegard-rv-wing-wingman-sensor-antenna-upgrade.html

There are some over seas that are heaps cheaper but not sure if they support out frequencies

Ray
FollowupID: 755796

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 02:49

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 02:49
The first link leads to the good one - the NZ-Wing

The second one does not work.

If you order through the third link you will most probably get the RV-Wing.

Make sure you get the NZ-Wing, it is cut to boost signals in the range 520 - 860 MHz (the Oz band.) The RV-Wing is cut to boost 470 - 700 MHz (the Yankee band.)
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 755800

Follow Up By: SDG - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 23:02

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 23:02
This looks like the thing my parents recently got for their bago.
Dad was impressed. During the recent floods in Wagga area (The Rock) while electricity was cut off to all houses, he was able to spend time watching the car races on Prime which is a channel they have never been able to get in the bago.
FollowupID: 755923

Reply By: Member - mickmci - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 03:52

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 03:52
Vern I also have a new van and was wondering about that as well. I fixed the problem when I purchased a new Digital LED TV. The instruction book said you only have to point the aerial in the general direction of the closest town and you should get signal. This worked for me. However I still get confused about which part of the aerial it the part you point. At the current Caravan and Camping show at Caulfield Race Track I was told that you can buy a little signal strength doover which does it for you. I'm told it isnt expensive though having said that I am yet to buy one. A lot of people are still trying to suck in analogue TV signal when most areas in Australia is now running on digital. Perhaps a set top box attached to ur TV if its still old school will work. Best of luck

mickmci
AnswerID: 480323

Reply By: Ray - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 09:21

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2012 at 09:21
I've been caravanning for quite a number of years but have never had a specialized TV antenna. I've always used a standard antenna like the ones used at home. O.K so they take a bit longer to set up? So what? I'm on holiday and not in a rush. If I'm in a bad reception area I use my satellite dish system. I more often than not get better reception than those with the fancy antennas and keeps her in doors happy too.
AnswerID: 480332

Reply By: Member - Doug S (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 18:21

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 18:21
G'Day Vern, I'm assuming that they all have a booster, each of the ones I've had did. Make sure it's powered up, ie, shows a small LED, there's a push button switch on the unit. The unit is usually up near the roof close to the wind up mechanism and the coaxial cable comes out of it. I got caught with our first one till someone wised me up.

Cheers, Doug S..
AnswerID: 480437

Sponsored Links