Helena & Aurora Range WA

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 22:15
ThreadID: 92539 Views:4823 Replies:13 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Just wanting to let you all know that I am involved in the protection of the H&A range and we are currently fighting the mining companies to try and stop it from being mined. I am trying to get the word out there as there is power in numbers.

If you want to help go to http://savehelenaaurorarange.blogspot.com.au/ or follow on face book http://www.facebook.com/HelenaAuroraRange This will let you know of any events going on to try and save this beautiful place.

Besides this being one of the greatest places to head out for some camping and four wheel driving, this is a biodiversity hotspot and right now, needs as much help as it can get.

Cheers!
Laura
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The other Norm C (WA) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 23:00

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 23:00
G'Day Laura
Have just singed up.I was at the Helena ranges over Christmas
headed over from Mount Jackson After a good days exploring
headed to the Hunt Range and onward.
Indeed a fabulous place to camp and explore.
Please keep all that are interested informed and up to date
Norm
AnswerID: 480471

Reply By: 158 - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 23:01

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 23:01
Thanks Laure,

It;s a very nice place and would be a pitty to lose to greed

Cheers
AnswerID: 480472

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 21:18

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 21:18
Is this Richard Kovac?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 756021

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 23:59

Thursday, Mar 15, 2012 at 23:59
G'day Laura

Firstly I must say the Helena & Aurora Range is very well worth fighting for and your efforts along with your supporters should be commended, the biggest hurdle you may face in trying to save or even to bring a place such as the Helena & Aurora Range to publics attention is "apathy".

The Kimberley region is set for exploitation by the "industry" and the voice of the people is being muted by government legislation, sadly once the "industry" is allowed in ~ no matter how many rules and regulations they are obliged to work to or within, it is the begining of changes that are absolutely irreversible, you need only to look at what is being allowed to happen in the Pilbara, its for our future benifit ~ apparently !!

AnswerID: 480481

Follow Up By: Laura H - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 00:23

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 00:23
Hi Joe,
You are all too right. But anything worth having is worth fighting for! Although the "industry" seems to be getting away with more and more, the movement to protect our environment is getting stronger and more people are starting to open their eyes and even better, their mouths.
The bonus for the H&A range is that it has declared rare flora and it is the last Banded ironstone formation in the Yilgarn Craton. Something that can't be ignored by the mining companies and the government.
Yes, it is a big fight but with stubborn s**t stirrers such as myself around, a winnable one.
Cheers!
FollowupID: 755929

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 00:29

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 00:29
it not just mining, recently 000s of hectares was buldozed in the kimberly for the ord river expansion

so much of WA has been lost to the dozers already from kalbarri to souther cross and to esperance and everything to the West more checks and balances need to be in place
FollowupID: 755930

Follow Up By: Laura H - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 00:37

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 00:37
This is why it is vital to make sure you speak out.
As I said before, there is power in numbers and the more people that put there name on letters and petitions the more power it has.
People often feel strongly about something but either don't know how to do anything to help or think it is too big for them to make a difference.
One voice may be be hard to hear - but if that one voice is saying the same thing as 1000 other voices the message will be heard.
FollowupID: 755931

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:05

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:05
G'day Laura & get outmore.

I can't agree with you more Laura, some times a person has to step out of their comfort zone to make a point.

Sadly most people in Australia don't even know the locality of the Helena & Aurora Range, let alone its conservation values.

The Yindjibarndi People of the Pilbara are fighting for their cultural rights in regards to what is their ancestral land and heritage, their nemesis is not only the industry but also factions within their very own people.

The industry has the ear of the government, simply because so much is being achieved by the industry ~ whilst the protesting and leagal fighting is going on.

Not much has been said or in fact not much is known about the expansion of the industry in the inland Pilbara, there is a new heavy gauge rail net work with associated service roads and a 220 kilovolt electricity transmission line under construction for the Hope Downs 4 mine, 35 kms north of Newman.

All this infrastructure work has been approved by the Barnett Government and a special railway licence has been granted to Rio Tinto for the 53 kms of railway line. In Dollar terms, the project is costed at $400 million.

Sadly the tract of land this infrastructure is being built in/through is visually stunning and at some point in the future anyone not associated with the industry will be EXCLUDED !!!!
Image Could Not Be Found

The Hope Downs 4 mine project is estimated to cost around $1.2 billion and will eventually create 1500 "new" jobs ~ sadly the bulk of these "new" jobs will be for a Fly in ~ Fly out workforce.
Image Could Not Be Found
As with most Fi-Fo employees in the industry, they have "No connection to the Land" ~ not even on their day off.

FollowupID: 755963

Reply By: Rod W - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:04

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:04
Hi Laura,

I fully support the action. Are you also including the Mt Manning Range as mining wants to take that away and leave a hole and then further west there is Faye Bluff that sits there in its glory along side the Die Hardy Range, all worth fighting for.

Can I suggest something? delete the words four wheel driving and just say something like camping and exploring. My reason is that when the words four wheel driving is mentioned it indicates an open invitation to the hoon element of our hobby/recreation who just want to go out and leave their mark thus destroying our recreation.

Thanks
Rod
AnswerID: 480520

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:19

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:19
This has got extremist greenie alarmist campaign written all over it. No details, a whole bunch of wild assertions and grossly emotive nonsense about Ayers Rock being mined etc etc.

No wonder Australian miners are spending their money exploring overseas because it's getting to be just TOO BLOODY HARD with all the crazy rules imposed by city busy-bodies.

Every working mine combined in WA takes up way less area than do Perth's western suburbs. Every year in WA, there is more land cleared for housing than there is for mining and nobody turns a hair. But try to do something that creates jobs and economic activity and you are suddenly labelled greedy. And only interested in profit, as if that's somehow a bad thing. Well, hello, without profit none of us have jobs!

Come back to us wit some actual verifiable facts, if you have any, otherwise take your political campaigns elsewhere.
AnswerID: 480521

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:51

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:51
1100% AGREE - I make my money from mining

There is however very good reasons for more environmental checks and balances in these ares
The iron stone hills create a unique environment in another wise flat area. The hills are seperated by 10s of KM and given the dryness of the area species endemic to the hills becomegeograophically isolated and have evolved into unique sub species

Fully agree about the sentiments of greed etc

Agriculture in WA has cleared massive tracts of land and pretty much totally destroyed the entire ecosystem of the south west and added to that has further destroyed vast ares through dryland salinity and has turned the SW rivers saline with many unable to support freshwater life and other heading that way

---- But Greed and other emotive words arnt mentioned even though they produce a bulk export comodity just like iron ore
FollowupID: 755966

Reply By: Bluesbus - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:50

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:50
I usually don't respond to campaigns like this but after reading Paul B Kalgoorlie's
response I felt I had to. I am far from a lunatic greenie NIMBY. However I am very concerned with the ecological damage being done to large parts of WA in the rush to sell every resource we can to the benefit of overseas companies. I have visited this area a number of times and see the damage that has been done with very little effort to revegetate the damaged areas. Just one look at Kalgoorlie is enough to understand what this constant destruction can accomplish. Go to Google earth and look at all the holes in the ground that no longer support Flora or Fauna.
Good on you Laura for raising the issue.
Steve
AnswerID: 480523

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 17:48

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 17:48
By Kalgoorlie, Steve, I presume you mean the Great Western Woodlands (so called by the Wilderness Society), that tract of "pristine dryland forest" (so described by the same Wilderness Society) that is in such a pristine state that it is now deemed irreplaceable despite being cared for and loved by the self same "greedy and destructive" mining industry such that it is in that pristine condition.

The "holes in the ground" that you refer to belong to a couple of generations ago before the current mining and environment regs were put in place 30 or 40 years ago.

Here's a challenge for you, Steve and Laura, and any other "nimby greenies", go and find the old Goldsworthy minesite or town? Or the bauxite mines in the SW of 5, 10 or 20 years ago. No other industry regenerates country like the mining industry, no other industry. The Forestry Department used to, but of course we killed that renewable industry 10 years ago didn't we.

When I was a kid there were no trees around Kalgoorlie, the woodlands having been clear-felled, some of it twice, by the woodline companies, the same woodlines that all of us 4wdrivers love to get out and explore. The magnificent regeneration of the woodlands has been in my lifetime (I'm 54), which has coincided with a period of incredible mining and exploration activity.

And whilst you're about it, detail the "large parts of WA" being subjected to "ecological damage" by the mining industry without approval from the most stringent environmental and mining codes in the world.

And if you disagree with that description, find a more stringent environmental and/or mining code and tell us where and why, rather than spreading emotive falsehoods about our most world-competitive industry.

And whilst you're about it, perhaps you could tell us, in light of your extreme distaste for the mining industry, what you, personally are doing to reduce your reliance on mined products? What are your renewable steel, nickel, aluminium, oil, lead, lithium, cobalt and copper alternatives? Optic fibres I hear you say - made from mineral sands!

But what I really want to see, is the actual proposal to mine in the Helena and Aurora Ranges Nature Reserve. If it exists, it will be on the public record somewhere for us all to see. So let's see it please, so we have something to deal with, rather than this series of uninformed assertions backed only by prejudice.

I don't want it mined either, but I'm not going to be part of yet another gratuitous anti-mining campaign aimed at turning us into a basket case economy like Tasmania.

FollowupID: 755994

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 20:07

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 20:07
unfortunatly it does exist

look up Polaris minerals and check out thier bungalbin East Project
FollowupID: 756012

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 20:13

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 20:13
HERE DID IT FOR YOU

http://polarismetals.com.au/?id=111
FollowupID: 756013

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 20:14

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 20:14
In December 2007, the WA State Government report on the Banded Iron Formation of the Yilgarn, the Helena-Aurora Range was identified as an area the Government was predisposed to preserve. However the Government specifically exempted any action on the Bungalbin East prospect for three years – on account of its high potential economic benefits for both the State and local stakeholders. The boundaries of the Bungalbin East prospect have not yet been defined in any detail by regulatory authorities.

FollowupID: 756014

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 20:49

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 20:49
Yes Blue bus lets go to google earth

see the grey appearign area covering the majority of the Sw

that all totally clearfelled land - an several entire ecosystem of woodlands totally wiped out and fenced off - no go

also oin this pics are the 2 biggst goldmines in Australia

- can you spot them?

ive got no issues with calling for greater checks and balances for mining areas environmentally

But i do get miffed when people try and make out Mining is the greatest environmental issue in WA

Its the elephant in the room no one speaks of because mining is a soft target
FollowupID: 756015

Reply By: Bluesbus - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 18:25

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 18:25
By Kalgoorlie, Steve, I presume you mean the Great Western Woodlands (so called by the Wilderness Society), that tract of "pristine dryland forest" (so described by the same Wilderness Society) that is in such a pristine state that it is now deemed irreplaceable despite being cared for and loved by the self same "greedy and destructive" mining industry such that it is in that pristine condition.

Jesus Christ Almighty. It was people like you that almost destroyed the entire woodlands. The only reason the Mining Industry stopped cutting down EVERYTHING was they found a cheaper alternative to Native Forrest. The Woodlands you see now are only regrowth. Go out the back of the Helena and Aurora Ranges and get an idea of the size of the Trees that used to exist throughout the entire goldfields.

The "holes in the ground" that you refer to belong to a couple of generations ago before the current mining and environment regs were put in place 30 or 40 years ago.

The regs were put in place to control an OUT of Control Mining Industry.

Here's a challenge for you, Steve and Laura, and any other "nimby greenies", go and find the old Goldsworthy minesite or town? Or the bauxite mines in the SW of 5, 10 or 20 years ago. No other industry regenerates country like the mining industry, no other industry. The Forestry Department used to, but of course we killed that renewable industry 10 years ago didn't we.

I was asked to locate Goldsworthy and Shay Gap at work for a mapping job. Go to Google and look for the massive holes in the ground and 30 years later on you can still make out where the townsites were.

When I was a kid there were no trees around Kalgoorlie, the woodlands having been clear-felled, some of it twice, by the woodline companies, the same woodlines that all of us 4wdrivers love to get out and explore. The magnificent regeneration of the woodlands has been in my lifetime (I'm 54), which has coincided with a period of incredible mining and exploration activity.

Imagine what it would be like with even some of the original forest just like the small parts of the forests in the South West.

And whilst you're about it, detail the "large parts of WA" being subjected to "ecological damage" by the mining industry without approval from the most stringent environmental and mining codes in the world.

Ask yourself why we have to have the most stringent environmental and mining codes in the world.

And if you disagree with that description, find a more stringent environmental and/or mining code and tell us where and why, rather than spreading emotive falsehoods about our most world-competitive industry.

And whilst you're about it, perhaps you could tell us, in light of your extreme distaste for the mining industry, what you, personally are doing to reduce your reliance on mined products? What are your renewable steel, nickel, aluminium, oil, lead, lithium, cobalt and copper alternatives? Optic fibres I hear you say - made from mineral sands!

I am not anti mining. I would just like to see some of nature preserved for the future.

But what I really want to see, is the actual proposal to mine in the Helena and Aurora Ranges Nature Reserve. If it exists, it will be on the public record somewhere for us all to see. So let's see it please, so we have something to deal with, rather than this series of uninformed assertions backed only by prejudice.

This whole area is open to mining because of the Barnett's Governments refusal to protect the area.

I don't want it mined either, but I'm not going to be part of yet another gratuitous anti-mining campaign aimed at turning us into a basket case economy like Tasmania.
AnswerID: 480557

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 21:02

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 21:02
No, Steve, the environmental regs were put into place by a change in community attitudes right across the whole spectrum of society, which hitherto had not valued environmental, heritage, Aboriginal, humane or social aspects - only economic - it's the way the WORLD was, not just the mining industry so don't hang that emotive nonsense on me, or the mining industry.

The govt of WA had a policy from the late 50's to the early 80's of clearing a million acres a year for agriculture - nothing to do with mining.

"I am not anti mining. I would just like to see some of nature preserved for the future." What? 99% of WA is not mined and under no "threat" from mining so Steve how can you possibly sustain that assertion? You appear to be living under the misapprehension that we are mining a much bigger area than we are and that there are no rules, when both are manifest nonsense and demonstrably so.

I repeat my earlier comment that every year we clear more land for housing in WA than we do for mining, and it is usually in fragile coastal environments rich in biodiversity - where is your confected outrage about that? It's much easier to be outraged about something that doesn't directly affect your own hip pocket, and it's that level of hypocrisy to which I am objecting.

If you want to turn WA back to a place with 10% unemployment and mass social dislocation then proceed with this absolutely prejudicial campaign - but you must understand the consequences of your actions on your children and theirs.

The simple fact is you are anti-mining but just won't admit it - just like the people who aren't racist but...

FollowupID: 756019

Reply By: Laura H - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 23:14

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 23:14
Hi All,
I would like to set a couple of things straight. First of all, I am not a "nimby greenie" and take great offence at being called one. Just so you know why, my father worked his whole life as a tree faller in Tasmania. Because of this, my whole life I had abuse hurled at me, human and animal faeces thrown at my house and deposited in our letter box/cubby house/kids toys in our back yard and have had our house set on fire by "extremist nimby greenies" At one stage, the greenies made it so hard for my father to work, he had to leave Tasmania and work in NSW and Victoria for 2 years, leaving his then pregnant wife and 3 children under the age of 9 in Tasmania. Until you have experienced this, which I hope you never will, you have never experienced "extremist nimby greenies" and would appreciate you to give me the same respect I will give you and not attack me on a personal level.

I, like many of my friends, work in the mining industry (it is hard not to when you like in Kalgoorlie) and have never stated anything about stopping the mining industry as a whole. As previously stated, I am from Tasmania and understand fully the hardships that come along with ending an important industry that is keeping people employed. However, I do not believe that the mining industry should not be able to mine everything that they wish to mine. Some areas are important to keep intact, whether this is for flora, fauna or everyday people such as myself and other campers that enjoy going out into the bush and getting away from civilisation. Unfortunately, these places are becoming harder to find and even harder to get to due to the mining boom.

As for the "alarmist" comment - I have not posted the website containing this information on any of my web pages for legal reasons but I see someone else already has posted the Polaris website address - thank you getout more for that. I have posted links to information regarding H&A and the greater Mount Manning Nature reserve but you may not have seen that, so I will post it again here for you so you can have an informed option rather than and emotional one
http://epa.wa.gov.au/EPADocLib/2500_B1256.pdf
also I will attach the link to the CCWA website explaining about banded ironstone formations (BIF) and why it is important to protect them. http://ccwa.org.au/content/view/68/130/
and also the "One happy squid" website run by CCWA http://onehappysquid.wordpress.com/bif-background/

Now, to the Great Western Woodlands. I don't think you understand exactly why this is important and has been recommended for world heritage listing so I will add the link to the page as well for you to have a little read of http://www.greatwesternwoodlands.org.au/
and also the Wilderness Society
http://www.wilderness.org.au/campaigns/great-western-woodland
if you have a read of this you will find that although a large amount was cleared not all of it was and if you head out there today you will find the majority of it has actually grown back. It is important because it is the largest intact temperate woodland on earth. By intact they mean that it is one joined area - although it has roads, train tracks, pastoral stations and mines within in it, it is still of significant value and needs to be protected.

You are correct in the statement about the amount of fragile land cleared for housing which is sad but as I am not an extremist nimby greenie alarmist, I do not try and fight every environmental disaster in the world, only the ones that I have a personal interest in and feel strongly enough to stand up for. You may not understand how hard it is to stand up for something you believe in, especially when you are personally attacked by people that really don't understand why you are fighting for it or more importantly, what exactly what you are fighting for.

At no stage did I force any one to have a look at my web page or comment on this link, that was a personal choice each individual made and I make no apologies for any comments I have made, words I have used or information I have provided. I also make no apologies for standing up for what I believe in. I do however ask that you save your comments and opinions for real "extremist nimby greenie alarmists" - and allow me to continue on my quest to try and save the H&A range as my original post says - not "stop mining as a whole because I am a small brained nit wit that wants all of WA to be unemployed" as you have suggested.

Cheers.
Laura
AnswerID: 480587

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 23:48

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 23:48
I am very torn and feel hypocriticsl ihave travelled that area a fair bit (thanks rod w)

bt make my money from mining

I genuinly believe that those ironstone hills are very much worth preserving and are unique Unlike many of the open pits i go past which nature reclaims a hill doesnt regenerate

i contacted polaris a while back b phone and was told to use somewhere else for recreation like the die hardeys

make zero mistake ALL those hills are under target
FollowupID: 756029

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 10:58

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 10:58
Extremist nimby greenie or not Laura, anyone who supports world heritage listing for the Great Western Woodlands also by extension supports the total suspension of mining in that area. In other words, the complete removal of of the economic base of Kalgoorlie and the Goldfields.

World heritage listing places such an onerous approvals process as to make any mining project beyond the means of all but the hugest companies in the world and therefore only for the most prospective resources. In short, we simply export our mining industry overseas where it is possible to get projects up, such that Australian jobs disappear and foreign jobs are created with Australian money and know how.

And all for what purpose? What is the threat? 120 years of mining, including 80 or 90 without effective controls or care for the environment and 30-odd years of a million acres a year land clearing have left us with what? A pristine woodland.

The logical conclusion surely is that the present environmental process works.

22% of the GWW is already tied up in the DEC conservation estate and I would strongly assert that that is at greatest risk because of their inadequate/incompetent fire management. It's generally really easy to fnd the national parks & nature reserves because they're the bits that have been burnt out by out of control wildfires started by lightning. The local shires & mining & pastoral industries are able to put them out very quickly but not on DEC land and DEC never acts quickly enough to gain control early.

So what you want to do is kill a whole region for the most dubious (or spurious) environment concern such that an area of 16,000,000 ha (160,000 sq km) can virtually never be used for anything.

You say "Unfortunately, these places are becoming harder to find and even harder to get to due to the mining boom" but offer no evidence. I contend once more that with 99% of WA NOT mined or likely to be, there are plenty of places to go, even without wit or imagination. Come to Kalgoorlie and I'll show you 50. But I'll tell you this, 47 or 48 of them are as a result of human activity and ALL of a have a track leading to them put in by, wait for it, humans.

If you think the mining industry is bad for the environment, see what poverty will do for it, because that's where your taking us.

FollowupID: 756041

Reply By: Laura H - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 23:57

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 23:57
As this is the last BIF range that isn't home to a mine, it makes it all the more important to save. I feel your pain with being torn but I don't think saving one range is going to make you an anti minning nimby.... contrary to popular belief ;P
AnswerID: 480588

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 00:46

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 00:46
its not actually the last bif range not being mined Mt manning isnt, die hardeys arnt mt elvire isnt i dont think the hunts are and theres other smaller ones

BUT Portmans along with others getting into the area have them all in their sites

this from Legacys website

CENTRAL YILGARN

The Central Yilgarn is currently a major centre of exploration and mining activity with major hematite and magnetite resources defined by companies including Cliffs Natural Resources, Jupiter Mining Limited, Mindax Limited and Cashmere Iron Limited.
FollowupID: 756032

Follow Up By: Rod W - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:18

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:18
Well said Laura and Get Outmore (Dave). As Dave says in addition to Helena and Aurora range with BIF there is also the Mt Manning Range, Faye Bluff (magnificiant) and Mt Geraldine which both form part of the Die Hardy Range. If you have driven the Bullfinch Evanston road and gone through the Gap on this road then you are crossing the Die Hardy Range.

The Windarling Range was another range with fabulous monoliths on top of the range which stretched for over 2 kilometres. Its eco tourism was there forever, but not now lost and gone forever with just a big hole in the ground. You can see this mining scare from any of the high points some 10 - 20 ks away like Pigeon Rock, Faye Bluff, Mt Geraldine etc.

Anyway I'll be out in the area in the second half of May this year.
FollowupID: 756045

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:20

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:20
last time I was at pigeon rocks i saw a work vehicle and went to see what he was doing. he was an environmental consultant doing a fauna survey of the area and the only reason you would do that is for a nearby minesite
FollowupID: 756048

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:23

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:23
you can also include further north to Karrajong gorge in that which area is the one legacy is interested in.
Last time I was there there was a big sandlewood cutters operation right in the gorge.
FollowupID: 756049

Reply By: get outmore - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:31

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:31
just some pics of the areas the EPA recomended for class A nature reserve/nat park

[img]
[/img]
AnswerID: 480622

Reply By: Laura H - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 13:24

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 13:24
For your information:
http://www.salmonriverresources.com/s/Mt_Manning.asp
The link to the mount manning mining & exploration.

http://www.miningweekly.com/article/die-hardy-range-proves-profitable-for-radar-2011-08-29
The link to the Die Hardy Range mining & exploration.

http://www.proactiveinvestors.com.au/companies/news/6048/fe-to-commence-drilling-at-mt-elvire-iron-ore-project-6048.html
The link to Mt Elvire mining & exploration.

Back to my ORIGINAL post, I am interested in saving the H&A range, if you are not interested in this, that is fine as I am not trying to force people into this I am mearly putting the word out there. I again ask that you save your emotional and uninformed (see above links relating to your so comments about all these ranges not being mined) options for someone else as I do not care to argue these things with you any further. I did not put this post on here to have to defend myself.

Obviously you did not read my post as I stated that I live in Kalgoorlie and I have no interest in arguing about other places to go bush. I am aware of them and regually go to many of them. This thread was not started to argue about where I can go camping, it was started to provide interested parties with information regarding the proposed mining of the H&A range (which is the last unmined BIF in the Yilgarn Craton - see above links for information regarding the other BIF ranges in this area) and where they can go to find more information regarding this. Obviously you are not interested in this but you are interested in giving those who care a hard time for caring.

As for the access, you posted regarding the Mt Dimer track being closed to public vehicles. There is the proof about the access being removed due to mining. Yes, these tracks were put in by humans, I don't believe that marvlious aliens came down from above and put in magical cleared lines for use to use. The difference between then and now is that we are aware of these amazing places and the declared rare flora and fauna that inhabit these places. This in itself deserves further investigation and protection in order to prevent us for causing the extinction of other species. Before you go off on a rant about that comment, I am NOT saying that mining has caused previous extinctions but I am saying if we are not careful, it will cause future extinctions - for an example the Windarling range mining has caused a Tetratheca species to now be on the brink of extinction. As there are less than 20 plants left they have had to resort to trying to propagate this species in a lab from seed which is almost impossible and they are having no luck as yet.

Again I state, I am not anti mining as a whole - this is about the H&A range. As I recal, you brought up the GWW and all I did was to provide you with information regarding why it was important as it was obvious that you did not have all the facts about why they want to protect this. Have I stated in any of my posts that I am trying to protect this area? No. Please stop making wild accusations and assumptions about what I am or am not fighting for.

As for the "leading us to poverty" comment - I refer to my previous post, I am not anti mining and have not stated anywhere that I want to stop it as a whole so this comment is not only innapropriate but unwarrented. Like there are extremist nimby greenie alarmist (which you have no idea about until you have had members of your family severley injured. An example of this was when a bunch of them went and imbedded steel rods into fallen logs that were being cut up. When the bushman was sawing them, the chainsaw hit the steel and kicked back into them.) In WA you are very lucky that these people have not put your family out of work. I have experienced that and have no intention of causing this grief for others.

Now, I am only seeking interested parties for the protection of H&A range. If you wish to continue with your accusations about me trying to stop mining completly that is fine but you are only making yourself look silly as I have now stated that I:

1. Am only interested in protecting the H&A range & do not wish to further discuss other environmental damage done by mining at this stage.
2. Have no interest in stopping mining as a whole as I work in the mining industry and having experienced first hand what happens when you stop the main industry that supports the economy would not wish this apon any one.
3. Am not interested in going around and personally injuring minesite employees or their homes and families - therefore am not and "extremist nimby greenie alarmist" and again ask that you reframe from using my name and this in the same sentance. There are many words I could use for you but choose not to as - like you - I do not know anything about you and feel name calling and accusing you of things that you may or may not have done as highly innapropriate.
4. Am not forcing you to agree with me or take any notice of the information I have provided and therefore should not have to justify myself or my beliefs to you.

I do however, wish to thank you for your input. By posting this uninformed information on here it has forced me to question myself and do more research in order to find answers. This has only strengthend my stance and reinforced what I already know to be true. Sad thing about opinions, everyone has a right to them, but not every one has the facts about them right.

Now, I must go. I have an appointment to get my dredlocks retightened in town so I have a friend coming over to take my place chained to the tree while I am gone..... I may have to go down to centrelink to drop my dole form in early as I am planning on standing on a street corner and handing out flyers regarding the plight of the WA koala and how we need to stop cutting their homes down to make paper.......

Cheers.
AnswerID: 480634

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 15:55

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 15:55
G'day All

Good day to all the posters regarding Laura H ~ original post.

I gather by the varied comments some folk have had their feathers ruffled, but now at least many more people are aware of what Laura H is hoping to achieve.

I live in the Pilbara, I have worked in the "industry" previously so I feel that I can contribute in a small way in regards to bringing to your attention issues that are on par with the H&A range and also to highlite the fact that we are set to lose huge chunks of "Our Heritage" if we do not speak up.

I have no intention of stopping the "industry" from employing YOU or anyone who wishes to earn a living in the "industry".

The "industry" and governments, need to know that there are people deeply concerned about the future of the land we call home.

Simply Google these names and read.

Weeli Wolli Springs.
Hickman Meteorite Crater.
Yindjibarndi.
Kalgan Siding Mining.
Hope Downs 4.
Atlas Mining.
FMG.
Flinders Mining.
Rio Tinto.
Mineralogy.
BHP.Billiton.
BC Iron.

I don't mind if you lable me a tree hugging radical ~ but sadly my favorite "Snappy Gum" tree has fallen to the blade of a Bulldozer in the Hope Downs project !!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 756076

Follow Up By: Rod W - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 22:13

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 22:13
Now, I must go. I have an appointment to get my dredlocks retightened in town so I have a friend coming over to take my place chained to the tree while I am gone..... I may have to go down to centrelink to drop my dole form in early as I am planning on standing on a street corner and handing out flyers regarding the plight of the WA koala and how we need to stop cutting their homes down to make paper.......

I like it Laura this gave me a laugh. Good onya girl. Lets put the whole state under world heritige and stuff the place that starts with C to the north of us.
FollowupID: 756100

Reply By: Laura H - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 17:40

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 17:40
Well said Joe.
I honestly believe if you feel strongly about something it is worth while speaking out about it. Sadly, all too many of us get labelled as greenies and home wreckers and therefore the majority of people don't say anything and hope to God that someone else will. It takes a strong person to stand up for what they believe is right and with the stress of everyday life, not everyone can take on any more. This thread is just a tiny example of the crap I have dealt with since starting my quest.

I am just a small town girl who loves the bush and wants to make sure that some of our truly special places are kept safe, the top of my priority list is the H&A range. As all my spare time is spent on this (and planning my upcoming wedding.... don't get me started on that crap!) I have little time to look at other bits and pieces but fully support any individual who feels stongly enough to stand up and speak out because it does take a lot of courage - and even more to pick yourself back up after you get smacked down!

I am not familiar with these places you mentioned but I am sure they are just as special as the H&A range. If you contact the CCWA or Wilderness Society they may be able to give you suggestions as to what you can do to make your voice heard. The wildflower association is another that can offer advice. That is, of course, if you wish too. The CCWA site has some good letters to government on it that you could tweak for your cause.

Good luck Joe! If you ever want to vent or celebrate, feel free to drop me a line. It is nice to know you have other people going through the same thing. Maybe my next quest will be starting a support group for people like us!

Cheers!
AnswerID: 480652

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 20:01

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 20:01
G'day Laura

Thanks for your reply, yes it is a formidable task to simply and not over emotionally raise concerns about such things as preservation, simply because you tend to prick the listeners conscience, especially if they are earning a living from the industry that is being put under the spot light.
Image Could Not Be Found
The image needs to be magnified at the white dot in the near centre of frame.

Some of the place names I suggested for anyone interested in Google searching them, show the very callous way the "industry" behaves when it comes to the traditional land owners and the land itself and the dismissive way things are seen by the "industry" and government, also it gives an insight to the place named, some of these have pre recorded history value and the Hickman Crater is something that has to be seen to be believed.

All the interested forum reader has to do is read the documents or watch the video clips, I am quite sure the reader/viewer will come away with an entirely different view on the subject of preservation and the business of mining as it is allowed to operate today.

Good luck with your wedding plans and I wish you much success with the Helena and Aurora Range quest.

You may consider contacting the Editor of Western 4Wheel Driver magazine, as the magazine has featured in past editions, concerns on the H&A range.

Safe travels :
FollowupID: 756095

Reply By: Rod W - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 09:40

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 09:40
Hi Laura,

Just a follow up on how your camp went out at the H&A Range over the easter period?

Thanks

Rod W
AnswerID: 482666

Sponsored Links