100 series and Gibb River RD

Submitted: Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:15
ThreadID: 92552 Views:1940 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi we are going to the Kimberley region in July we will leave the van in and do the Gibb River Rd and Mitchell falls with the tent. I have compression springs in the rear and EFS shocks all around is there anything else I need to to to my 100 series T/Diesle to do this trip
Thanks Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:49

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:49
Watch out for dirty fuel and lower your tyre pressure and you should be fine. Although the road to the Mitchell Plateau can be really bad with corrugations and large rocks stickling out, with sensible driving it is fine. We tried to sit on 80 kph when we were there last year, towing our camper, and both sat perfectly. The problem with the road after the Kalumburu turnoff is that the road, or track, is narrow and windy; therefore it can be difficult to get to a nice speed over the corrugations. Plus you have to watch for the idiots who don’t care about others.
We did a front tyre in on this section because we hit one of the large rocks sticking out, at speed. Just did not see it until the last minute. Bruised the side wall.
The people at Drysdale Station are very helpful and put on a nice feed, and cold beer!
But the trip is an absolute must do. Make sure you take the helicopter trip from the Mitchell Plateau camping ground.
We also went up to Kalumburu and spent a few days at a beach side camp.
So have fun, Kevin.
AnswerID: 480527

Reply By: Teejay - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 16:34

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 16:34
Hi Tony,

I'd recommend spare shocks. The track to Mitchell Falls claims a lot of overheated shocks each season. I found the Kalumbaru Road comfortable at 70 to 80 kph. Move over for on-coming traffic though as some will be doing 100 and throwing stones out. The Mitchell Falls Track was more 40Kph.
Here's my video of Kalumbaru rd, if you turn it up loud you'll get a good idea of what the corrugations are like.

Tony too.

AnswerID: 480547

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 18:37

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 18:37
While most travellers see that region incident free, those roads can play games with even the best prepared and carefully driven vehicles. Apart from keeping your load down to the minimum, adjusting tyre pressures and taking it quite easy, taking a spare front and rear shocker, with bushes, is the smart thing in my view. Other considerations (extra to the normal trip tools and sundry spares) could include... a tyre repair plug kit, a few mixed nuts and bolts, plenty of mixed cable ties, duct tape - anything that could come loose, probably will. Presume you have a water-crossing tarp and mesh for a bug screen. Anything you have that enables you to keep mobile can provide a huge benefit if you do have "a situation" - breakdown recovery is costly and if parts are ordered from a long way off, you could be a guest of the beautiful Kimberley for longer than planned :-o) ........Anne's advice on the various pages at the [ Drysdale River Station ] website are worth the read.
AnswerID: 480560

Sponsored Links