Vivonne Bay

Submitted: Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 16:36
ThreadID: 92564 Views:1748 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,
We in Melbourne have recently been bombarded with advertisements for Kangaroo Island. I have been wanting to go for a long time so they were a good prompt. We think the camp grounds at Vivonne Bay sound like they have good facilities, but I was dismayed to read of John G2's experience. We have 4 kids and like John it takes hours to set up camp, so we wouldn't want to move in a hurry. Any recommendations? Thanks a lot!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 18:30

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 18:30
John G2's experience is on Thread 91498 here.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 480558

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 21:10

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 21:10
Hi Victoria

What happened to John would put a very bad taste into your prospective of the place, but he did say later that he had a great time in other parts of the Island. As bad as it was, that type of thing can happen anywhere, but it is still not acceptable.

I personally did not stay at Vivonne Bay, it looked basic compared to other Council run camping areas over there. I realy enjoyed American River, and it had great hot showers, and the view from our tent was worth a million dollars.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

There are only 3 privately run Park over there, all are good, but our pick was the Western KI Caravan Park, it was just perfect, in fantastic settings. There are lots of wild Koala, Kangaroos, Possums, Cape Barron Geese to name a few of the local inhabitants in the Caravan Park.

Image Could Not Be Found

As for the family, it is a very safe place to take your family and when you speak to other people that have visited the Island, their only regret is they did not stay longer. I would suggest at a bare minimum 7 nights, longer, far better.

Here is a link to one of the Blogs that I have writen on the Island, Kangaroo Island

Do not get put off by negetive publicity, it is just perfect for the family.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 480575

Follow Up By: Victoria F - Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 22:24

Friday, Mar 16, 2012 at 22:24
Thanks so much Stephen, maybe we will give it a go after all. American River looks lovely. V
FollowupID: 756024

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 09:26

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 09:26
A word of warning..... Don't go in the off season.

We have been over to KI twice in the last 5 years and on the last trip it only highlighted what we found in our first trip.... nothing open, places run down and restaurants shut for the off season.

AnswerID: 480601

Reply By: Member - Jo Q (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 19:22

Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 19:22
Hi Victoria,,

We spent 5 nights on KI during the Christmas school holidays & stayed in the caravan park at Penneshaw, just as you got off the ferry.

The park has large sites, spotless facilities & was run by a very friendly couple who went out of their way to make you feel welcome. We did day trips to different parts of the Island from there.

If I went back, I would definately stay there again.

Cheers,

AnswerID: 480732

Sponsored Links