Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 10:45

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 10:45
Not when the sun goes to sleep.
AnswerID: 480613

Reply By: Steven G1 - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 10:51

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 10:51
Hi Richard

generally its best to have the solar panel connected to a battery (best AGM) and then the engle.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 480614

Follow Up By: Bush Wanderer - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 17:25

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 17:25
I agree with Steve with battery.

Not a good idea to run fridge directly from solar.....likely to blow the motor in a fairly short period of time.

A battery must be in the loop between solar and the fridge.

BW
FollowupID: 756083

Follow Up By: Bush Wanderer - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 17:33

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 17:33
Just asked this question of the engel rep at the engel stand as I post this, at the camping show.
Engel will not warrant fridge unless it goes through a battery, as direct connection to solar, can cause a motor malfunction due to surges from solar panels going in and out of shade/sun.
So there you go. Best to use battery....which makes sense. Similar to connecting and disconnecting battery on an ongoing basis.
BW
FollowupID: 756084

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 18:32

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 18:32
hi bush wanderer
so thats two different opinions from engel salesmen at the mandurah boat show they had an engel set up and running off a solar panel without a battery
i saw it and listened to it running and also checked out it didnt have any hidden other connections going to it
the guy you have spoken with says no not to do it and its not covered by warranty
thats just typical of salesmen and their b-s technics to sell something

what camping show are you at
cheers
barry
FollowupID: 756088

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 18:45

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 18:45
Hi Bush Wanderer

What type of solar panel was he talking about? If it was the standard panel, then yes it must go via a battery first.

Engel now import the new Power Film fold up panels, they can be connected directly to a fridge, see the link and look near the end of the wording...

Power Film can connect to Engel Fridge

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 756089

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 18:53

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 18:53
hi stephen l
the solar panel that was connected and endorsed as not to void warranty at the mandurah boat show was a power film roll-up type and was told it is ok with-out battery so all salesmen arent equal in their knowledge it appears
thanks for the back-up imfo
cheers barry
FollowupID: 756090

Follow Up By: Bush Wanderer - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 18:54

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 18:54
How bad is this....I am at claremont show grounds, hopping onto exploroz while snacking.
The other engel guy has just corrected the guy I spoke to....I overheard a conversation.
They do have another panel that is ok to run the engel off, but they still recommend unless you want to chase the sun, hook a battery into the loop.
They other guy did make it clear that they will not warrant other panels though. This new panel switches off without allowing voltage surges which apparently other panels can have. So that makes sense now!
Anyway...time to head home as I have spent too much....again.
BW
FollowupID: 756091

Reply By: Member - Porl - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:01

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:01
Not in Brisbane today.
AnswerID: 480618

Reply By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 13:08

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 13:08
hi richard b
short answer yes
and at the mandurah boat show last november the engel fridge stand display were demonstrating the engel with
an engel fridge hooked up direct to a solar panel
it was one of the roll-up type but any suitable size panel is ok and the fridge is gauranteed to operate without damage to its freezer unit
what they were actually trying to get across to buyers and owners is that the engel is capable of doing this and it wont hurt/damage the electrics of the the fridge unlike it competitors
of course as already mentioned as soon as the suns solar goes off so does the fridge so its essential to have a suitable deep cycle battery in the system
i have no connections with engel fridge sales just a very happy owner of nearly 3o yrs using them
cheers
barry
AnswerID: 480629

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 13:19

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 13:19
Hi Richard

If you are using the standard type solar panels, they are designed to go via your car battery and then that battery will run your fridge.

Having said that, Engel are mow importing from the USA, the next generation in solar, called "Power Film"

It is very light, will work in the shade and is designed to either plug directly into the Engel fridge when in full sun, or connect to your cars battery.

Even though they do not produce as much power as the normal solar panel, they do over a 24 hour period, produce the same, or if not more, for the very reason that they will still operate in conditions that the normal one will struggle.

Here is the link to the Engel site, where you can compare both types.

Solar options from Engel

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 480632

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:20

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:20
Hi
The point that seems to be missed is that alll solar panels are not the same
The load voltage can vary considerably depending on the panel number of cells

It is not the motor that will blow but components in the electronics of the Dc to Ac inverter
Standard solar panels for battery charging can have a load voltage of 17v & open circuit voltage of around 21v.
With those types of panels I would suggest always use a battery & regulator

The Engel will not actually switch off if the sun goes behind a cloud etc but it will not pump efficiently .
Unlike other type compressor fridges ,this will not harm it.

The problem is over voltage from the non regulated & smooothed solar panel

The panels supplied by Engel a designed with the correct number of cells to produce a voltage around 12v under load
Most salemen are just that, full of bull & little technical knowledge

Peter
FollowupID: 756218

Sponsored Links