Shock Absorbers On Simplicity Suspension?

As the thread title states:

Is adding shockies a practical proposition to Simplicity Suspension as we are thinking of buying a Jayco Outback caravan fitted with the Simplicity option.

Does any one know of some one who might have added shockies?

I understand the mechanics of the Simplicity load sharing design principle, but with long travel shock absorbers fitted especially to the leading edge of the front section, could it be done?

From what I gather here and elsewhere, some owners, swear by the Simplicity in its standard leading edge/trailing arm leaf spring design, but some hate it due to it's poor corrugations performance.

I will contact N P Hauffe the makers, but in the interim, perhaps someone has heard of this modification? I would be grateful for constructive comment

Thanks,
Robert
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 16:43

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 16:43
I have not seen under a Jayco to see the simplicity suspension but many people talk about it.
My view is:
Any suspension, unless hydrolastic dampened type as Austin 1800 had, will benefit from an appropriate shock absorber.
As a shocker doesn't really stop spring deflection but acts on the rebound and subsequent spring oscillations it is an advantage to have them.

When I hear "simplicity" I read, cheap as possible in the circumstances.
It may be quite good in normal operation where, on road, you don't have too many corrugations these days but off road does require damping of the suspension action.
I have seen Jayco products after offroad Mereenie loop road travel where the non compliance of the suspension system used caused the axle to fatigue and the wheel break off the vehicle.
Beside the shock absorber yes or no issue you should also be concerned with the "compliance" of the suspension as it is this which allows the suspension and shockers to absorb road conditions and not destroy axles/frames and caravan internal construction.
Heavy everything doesn't mean reliability though.
You can use a lighter constructed van with brilliant suspension and it will perform well. Don't know who makes these though.
I believe many caravan suspension systems are a compromise of good enough suspension for the cost of the van, not brilliant by any means.

Despite the suspension you have or may get, the practice of frequently matching your tyre pressures to the road conditions and travelling at an appropriate speed according to those conditions will be of great benefit.
This is something which many people don't do. To manage this you need an airtank and small compressor with easy access hose to reinflate whenever necessary. The tyre is a vital part of the suspension performance as too high a pressure on any suspension will not be suited to corrugations and stress vehicle componentry, often to the point of destruction.
A softer tyre pressure would have saved this happening.
I don't want to be alarmist but people have to learn to live within the laws of physics, if you try to become master you will lose.
Have a look at the army trailer which have to perform and not fail. Some variations of their successful suspensions are around. They carry sensitive electrical gear and it must work at the end of the trip.
AnswerID: 480644

Reply By: Bush Wanderer - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 17:03

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 17:03
I have had simplicity on my last jayco and current one.

People that make simplicity say its not needed and warranty will be voided (but they would need to prove that it caused the fault).

The ride is significantly better than the usual leaf spring and shock absorber that they usually come with. I have been in the back while traveling on corrugations to see how it felt. It was a very smooth ride.

Bushtracker uses simplicity.....and it's certainly not cheap.

As long as you ave the right weighted setup for your trailer then you will be very happy with the simplicity suspension.

BW
AnswerID: 480645

Follow Up By: Bush Wanderer - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 17:06

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 17:06
And I agree with Ross about tyre pressures. This is a big key to a smooth ride, with lower speeds.

BW
FollowupID: 756082

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 20:22

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 20:22
G/Day Robert

We have Simplicity Suspension rated at 3500kg.

The van travels on rough stuff with ease, you can hardly feel it behind the tow vehicle.

We have had a couple of tandem wheel vans with Independant Suspensions and the simplicity setup leaves them for dead.

The cook accidently left a couple of items on the benchtop in the ensuite and a clock radio on a shelf in the bed area, all the items were in the same spot when we pulled up.

I'm not saying it's the best available but it takes a lot of beating.

Cheers
AnswerID: 480666

Follow Up By: baz&pud (Tassie) - Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 15:27

Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 15:27
We currently have the same type of van as the Cooks better half and have the same type of suspension and swear by it.

Our previous van also had Simplicity Suspension and it wasn't six weeks old when we pulled it across the Gibb River Road, and we had no problems at all, the GRR at the time wasn't in good nick either.

As said lower the tyres and drive to the conditions.

Don't think shockers are needed.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 756149

Reply By: hamo - Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 05:57

Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 05:57
The problems with asking qestions like this is everybody belives what they have is the best setup ever.

Do a google search on simplicity & see who else uses it.
I asked that qestion when i picked up my van (in the forsale section)
& was told it was not needed & would not work

I havent been in the back when traveling but nothing's fallen down or shaken to bits.

Most of the big offroad van builers use it.

Hamo
AnswerID: 480683

Sponsored Links