Anne Beadell Hwy from Cooper Pedy to Laverton

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 18:04
ThreadID: 92588 Views:2232 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Can anybody advice us if it's save to travel the Anne Beadell Hwy fromCooper Pedy to Laverton by ourselves with one car ?
We drive a 2004 Land cruiser TD Cab Chassis with a slide on Camper on it. Have when fully filled up, 250 lt Diesel and 155 lt Water on board. Have a 160 fold able solar panel, 2 spare wheels and a puncture repair kit, Garmin GPS and a Satellite Phone.
We're, my wife andIi, not sure if there are another major issuers besides the corrugations which would make it more advisable to travel with some one else. Has somebody done it alone ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 18:38

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 18:38
Hi Urs Z

If you are Outback wise, you will have no problems at all. It is a great drive and it is on our list to do again next year. You will meet other vehicles out there, so you will not be alone.

Here is a link to my Blog when we did it back in 2010. Anne Beadell Highway Blog

Allow for a minimum of 7 days and you can restock at Ilkurlka. We ran 18 psi tyre pressures all round and sat between 20 - 40 kilometres per hour and made very regular stops. We started off solo, but after 3 days met some great travellers along the way ( one way an EO Member....Hi Stewart if you are reading this) and ended up travelling the last 4 days together.

Read all you can and it is a great drive.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 480661

Follow Up By: Life Member Dick B - Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 21:33

Saturday, Mar 17, 2012 at 21:33
Hi Urs Z

I agree entirely with Stephen's comments. I was out beyond Emu in 2010 travelling solo and started to have some problems with the transfer case so we returned to Coober Pedy.

Last year we went across with another car and had no problems. Worst conditions last year were between Tallaringa Well and Emu. Keep the tyre pressures around 18psi and travel slowly and you will have no problems. Both times we were towing an ultimate camper.

Watch the shocks and don't let them overheat. We stopped every hour, and if bad conditions every 30 mins to allow things to cool down. We did damage a battery in the Patrol that was with us, and replaced it in Ilkurlka. We replaced the other battery in the Patrol in Leonora a few days later. My Troopy also did a battery in Leonora but not sure if the road was to blame.

Drive slowly and enjoy the trip.

Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 756098

Follow Up By: Urs Z - Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 23:57

Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 23:57
Thanks Stephen for your great info. I also read your trip report from 2010 where you had lots of way points or coordinates to see some interesting places along the way. Where did you find those points ? Is there a map with this info on it ?
We'll travel early may, which should give us enough time to organise the various permits.

Thanks again and have a great day
Urs
FollowupID: 756195

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 00:37

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 00:37
Agree with these guys!!

My only concern would be the amount of rain that has fallen across the country and may cause a concern, so adjust your thinking accordingly.

Thats a thought not just limited to the AB and will apply right across the country in the next few months.

Its a great trip except for the endless bloody corrugations shaking the crap out of everything.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 756197

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 08:17

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 08:17
Hi Urs Z

I read as much as possible and spent 12 months searching the Internet, as well as using publications such as, Westprints mini Anne Beadell Highway Map, Outback Travellers Track Guide = Anne Beadell Highway (available here from the EO Shop) as well as the Hema Outback Series of Maps, and of course the books that were by the late Len Beadell, the great book by Mark Shephard, "The Great Victoria Desert" and one book that I bet very few, if any here on EO would have ever heard of, Pila Ngura by Scott Cane about the Spinifex People.

Even with all these tools, you still need an eye for the country you are travelling through, as all the Aboriginal trees that were used for tools and carrying bowls are right on the edge of the Track and it makes me wonder how many just drive past without ever knowing they are there.

We stopped many times to inspect the trees, but in the end just noticed them without stopping and commented, "There is another Aboriginal Blaze Tree".

Read the country and you will be surprised what you will see.

Cheers and have a fantastic trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 756203

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 07:13

Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 07:13
We towed a boat west from Vokes Hill Corner in 2006 on a one vehicle trip.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 480685

Sponsored Links