silentarmor tyre

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 09:07
ThreadID: 92603 Views:1926 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Gooday all : Has anyone got Goodyear wrangler silentarmor tyre any feed back .Had a set of similar wrangler tyre 20 odd years a go and love then for there side wall strength .
P.S dont need to know about other brands thanks ....

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 09:58

Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 09:58
I had a set and have friends who use them. They are a good AT tyre quiet, don't chip badly on outback roads and don't puncture easily thru the tread.

But the sidewalls are no thicker than any other tyre - I've seen a few staked out in the desert.

I changed to the Bridgestone D694 a few years ago, and prefer them to the silent armour.
AnswerID: 480695

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 14:17

Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 14:17
Thanks phil : interesting RE side walls comment, to press on side walls are very thick & hard ....more so than most I would have said .
the set I had on L200 many years ago I treated very badly ( high speed on rough roads etc ) and only ever had one puncher but interesting that I changed them to bridgestone aswell but I changed to mud diggers for better traction not for better tyre construction ..
What is it that you prefer with the D694?
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 756141

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 16:31

Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 16:31
The silent armor 265's that I've plugged were not very thick in the sidewall. I'd suggest they are similar to BFG (3 thin plies), but better than most Cooper.

I've had a set of 285/75R16 D694LT that have done 90,000k and still have a few mm tread. With the silent armour I was looking at getting 50,000k out of 265/75.
The D694 are cheaper and more readily available.
They are equally chip resistant and quiet.
The sidewalls seem good - haven't staked or punctured any.
Both tyres have good rolling resistance so don't cost me extra in fuel.

I've run more aggressive tyres in the past - MTRs and BFG muddies but both cost me in fuel, noise and bogged down in sand - I prefer a good AT for what I do.
FollowupID: 756155

Reply By: RobAck - Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 20:18

Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 20:18
We have been using them on one of our Prado's for two years now. Go with the LT rated tyres not the AT's. The LT's have kevlar in them along the same lines as the MTR with Kevlar which we also use. No problems with the Silent Armour at all and a lot of our commercial clients who operate mine sites are using them due to their flexibility on and off road. Prado using them did the Simpson and Hay River towing an Ultimate last year with no problems at all. Along with a lot of work in the APY Lands, a great test of tyres, the Gawler Ranges and lots of towing and touring with no issues. But LT not AT

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 480736

Sponsored Links