Gas leak blamed for Tas caravan deaths

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 14:39
ThreadID: 92608 Views:2459 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Here's a good warning for all Gas users.

READ ON

.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 16:56

Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 16:56
I have read this in several Papers and it seems that they were using portable appliances in the van.
Could have been a 3 way chest type fridge and a cooker. Hence the carbon monoxide. Usually caused by burning LPG or similar without venting the area.

Yes care must be exercised when using any gas appliance indoors.

Dodg
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 480719

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 20:52

Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 20:52
Very sad Dougy, think the majority need more education on this.
0
FollowupID: 756181

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 23:29

Sunday, Mar 18, 2012 at 23:29
That is so sad, using gas in the caravan always worries me, we don't use the gas component of the fridge, it worries me too much, have never been a gas fan.

Cheers

D


Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 480757

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 04:27

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 04:27
Doug
Such a tragedy !
Footage of the van suggests that there was no vent in the door.
Everyone please note, if you use these appliances, please make sure that they can vent.
Could have easily ben averted

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 480764

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 09:24

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 09:24
Am I correct in believing that the gas itself is not particularly poisonous (althoughsome media reportsare suggesting otherwise)? I thought the danger in leaking gas was the likelihood of an explosion. Isn't the danger of using any unvented gas applliance (ie burning gas in an unvented van or enclosed space) the creation of carbon monoxide which has no smell and can be quickly fatal? I have noticed many people blocking door vents in cold conditions. If this is so why are portable gas heaters still allowed to be sold. Most people would not be able to judge the correct ventilation needed and would not be aware of rising carbon monoxide levels. I also thought fitted van fridges would be safe on gas as they have large external vents (although I have seen people blocking those when travelling in dust and setting up an opportunity to forget to unblock them when camped!) Lynne
John & Lynne

Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 480774

Follow Up By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 13:18

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 13:18
John

LPG is (C3H8) and requires oxygen (O2) to burn correctly.

When burnt correctly you get CO2 and H2O Carbon Dioxide and water.

You can tell if it is burning correctly as the flame will be blue and there will be NO yellowing.

As you have said, in this and other frequent cases, where there there was no vents to the outside and with breathing and burning the LPG the gas mix changed and Carbon Monoxide (CO) is produced prior to the flame extinguishing.

As with CO2, CO is a natural item in the air all the time but at low levels 0.2 parts per million.

Dry air is primarily made up of nitrogen (78.09%) and oxygen (20.95%). The remaining 1% is made up of argon (0.93%), carbon dioxide (0.039% as of 2010) and other trace gases (0.003%). Water vapor (water in its gaseous state) is also present in the atmosphere in varying amounts, by up to 2%.

0
FollowupID: 756222

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)