How confusing is it when looking for a new battery?

Submitted: Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 18:26
ThreadID: 92637 Views:3511 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Aux battery died.

Been researching and ringing around most of day and wow, what a diverse range of, often contradicting, advice.

Am considering the Supercharge Allrounder. So would appreciate comments from those using one as an aux. battery.

Will essentially be used to run a Trailblaza fridge and a bit of lighting. Have a few others things but they rarely get much use. Our camping style is mostly overnighters with variable distance/time between stops ie some long days, some short. However we sometimes stop for a couple of nights and then there's usually not much travelling involved during the day. Have a Redarc system to isolate batteries when stopped. Starting battery is a Bosch maintenance free unit.

Concerns/questions re Allrounder are:
* can it handle the heat under bonnet OK (V8 petrol Cruiser)?
* will it run fridge OK for a couple of days?
* being dual purpose I assume it will charge up quicker than a 'real' deep cycle?
* does it handle vibrations OK?
* have been told that being a dual purpose battery the real AH capacity is less than the stated 105 AH. The guy reckoned a dedicated 105 AH deep cycle was a genuine 105 AHs whilst the dual purpose ones only have about 50 to 60 AHs in them for deep cycle purposes. Is that true?

Any other comments appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chris85 - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 19:02

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 19:02
The old man had a 105ah all rounder in the engine bay of his 2008 Patrol t/diesel. Didn't like the heat there (from turbo) and lasted just over 12months, only used to run the old cream/green engel about 6 times per year. I think it is a calcium battery, I have read somewhere they don't like the heat (but this could have just been an opinion and not fact). An AGM battery would be the go for you I think (quicker recharge times and fully sealed).

It's a good idea to also wire in a battery protector coming off the battery which will cut power to your aux accessories if the voltage drops down to 10.5v,11.0v or 11.5v (selectable).

I have one of these http://www.sidewinder.com.au/page229.html, works quite well. Only thing to note is if u install a batt protector you need to also wire a switch off it to be able to turn it off if you don't plan to drive you car for more then a week, because it monitors the aux batt voltage it will over time drain it (albeit very slowly).

Regards
Chris
AnswerID: 480822

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 19:11

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 19:11
Yes, battery threads are really confusing.

I think the Allrounder is a poor choice. It uses Ca-Ca technology which requires higher than usual charging voltages. Your V8 petrol Landcruiser has one of the lowest charging voltages of any modern vehicle. So there is a major mismatch.

What other batteries suit your Landcruiser and are suitable as an aux battery?

#1 Cheapest option and by no means the worst is to fit either an Exide Extreme or Century Overlander N70. They have very good vibration resistance; they tolerate underbody heat; they can be rapidly recharged; you can add water to them; they have about 80Ah capacity and they are dual purpose so can easily be used to crank. Cost about $165.

#2 Optima yellow or blue AGM. Their D31 size is only 75Ah and a touch longer than an N70, costs $368, but also have an unlimited charge rate, and seem to survive under the bonnet better than cheap AGMs.

#3 A cheap 100Ah AGM. Usually don't live to their full potential under the bonnet, but your Landcruiser has a heat shield around the aux battery location and its at the front behind the headlight which is a relatively cool location.

#4 A wet cell deep cycle battery - your alternator's charge voltage is too low of this type of battery.

Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 480824

Follow Up By: Member - Jason B (NSW) - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 22:19

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 22:19
I agree with what is posted above. I have a TD V8 Cruiser for work and have the optima yellow top 75 amp AGM with the redarc dc/dc charger isolater thingo.

The optima works well for us as we run a 60 litre engal all the time when in the vehicle, whilst it is only 75 Amps those amps are more accessable (can handle more discharge) than with a wet cell battery IMHO, and the recharge rates are better.

They are worth the money, we keep the vehicle for 3 years 60,000km and usually transfer the battery over into the replacement vehicle as they test fine.

Regards

Jas
FollowupID: 756264

Follow Up By: Chris85 - Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 07:43

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 07:43
I have the optima yellow topp 75ah as well. With new 40lt engel fridge. Lasts about 2.5 days in about 30 degree weather. Have also connected up a ctek d250s dual, and added a solar panel to the roof rack. Lasts even longer!
FollowupID: 756279

Reply By: ben_gv3 - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 19:27

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 19:27
I had an Allrounder as my primary which lasted 3 years. I thought 3 yrs was too short but from all accounts it's not too bad.

I've now gone over to Marine batteries which have better vibration resistance. Century and Exide make marine batteries. Something to consider at least.
AnswerID: 480828

Reply By: Rod W - Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 21:56

Monday, Mar 19, 2012 at 21:56
Its not confusing at all. Just go straight to Westrac and get Caterpillar battery.
AnswerID: 480850

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 09:01

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 09:01
Confusing for sure - been researching possible replacement of my 3 van batteries this week - as well as the 'good oil' above, spending time reading all of the technical blurb you can find on the manufacturers' websites is often worthwhile - eg, on the Century site, their DC AGM warranties are void if batteries are installed under bonnet (I recently put a flooded 65Ah Century purely DC under my bonnet as a result - will take a chance on the non-AGM aspect re vibration...I'm mainly a cruiser anyway). BTW - 100Ah Century AGM $500 - Ultimate $335 (Battery World). One problem is that many of the budget end batteries are promoted with sales counter spin - less common with the long standing makes it seems. As for allrounders - your application seems really to be deep cycle ?
AnswerID: 480868

Reply By: TheMightyMoose - Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 14:02

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2012 at 14:02
Thank you one and all.
What a bugger - I thought I'd narrowed it down and now I have to start all over again. But at least I have some solid leads.
AnswerID: 480894

Reply By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 09:03

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 09:03
Gooday mm : we have 03 v8 p/cruiser . we have century deep cycle AGM under bonnet as 2nd battery with redarc smart switch for the last 2 year going ok so far .

paid about $ 300 for it & was told its ok for under bonnet ?

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 480967

Sponsored Links