Any cyclone damage?

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 11:50
ThreadID: 92684 Views:1961 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone,
Can someone give me any information on any damage caused by the latest cyclone in WA, eg. to Port Smith, 80 Mile Beach, Marble Bar etc. They are all on our places to visit on our next trip to WA and hope they all came out of it ok.
Cheers,
Al-one
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 13:31

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 13:31
Al-one,

Did hear that Pardoo roadhouse copped a bit of a hammering. Some structural damage, covers blown off fuel bowsers and some trees down.

The lady from there, Jan(???), was speaking to Macca on sunday morning.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 480994

Reply By: wendys - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 15:19

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 15:19
A TV segment I saw said that Eighty Mile Beach CP was not affected too much. Port Smith and Barn Hill are further north so should have been ok.
AnswerID: 481008

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 01:53

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 01:53
G'day Al-one

To say that Cyclone Lua was a fizzer would do an injustice to the weather forcasters and mostly it would be a massive injustice to the owner/managers of the Pardoo Roadhouse, the roadhouse is/was located around 150 km east of Port Hedland on the Great Northern Highway was all but destroyed as it bore the brunt of Lua's 250 km/h winds.

Marble Bar and most of the populated centres in the inland Pilbara had only a relatively light bruising, gale force winds and moderate rainfalls, all road access to Marble Bar and Nullagine is limited to 4wd only, so food and fuel resupplies won't be happening too soon.
Image Could Not Be Found
Cyclone Lua had no adverse effect on Port Smith, 80 Mile Beach etc.

Safe Travels:
AnswerID: 481055

Follow Up By: Member - Walter H (WA) - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 03:16

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 03:16
G'day all,I came back from Derby on Sunday afternoon and stopped at Pardoo and it was no where damaged as much as many have reported as apart from a few trees down and the Sat dish knocked over the main road house looked fine,the roads in to Barn hill and 80 mile beach were closed but id say that would have been to preserve the track after the rains,but in saying that there was very little water on the road as there was more water in the flood ways between Hedland and Karratha.

Happy Motoring
FollowupID: 756452

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 13:23

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 13:23
G'day Walter H

Your follow up post just goes to show how over stated the reporting of this incident can be, my reply regarding Al-one's original post was put together on the strength of the front page story in the North West Telegraph news paper.
Wednesday March 21 - 2012

The headline to the front page story was "Lua devastates Roadhouse" the article has been put together by three journalists : Alex Massey : Mark Scott and Shannon Hampton, the north west tele was chucked up my driveway just last evening, possibly the journos were totally devastated when they spotted the Sat dish ~ A over T ~ in the bushes and worse still no "Cafe' Latte" ~ devastating.

I should have smelt a rat because the Tele was in a plastic wrapper to stop it getting soaked by the rain and there was no rain and when its raining its not wrapped in plastic !!

I guess if you don't actually see it for yourself don't comment on it.

Thank you for your first hand report.

Al-one and anyone else who had an interest in the Cyclone story and its follow up reports : I apologize for the misinformation on my part and I will relegate the "North West Telegraph" to where it belongs, the bottom of the Cocky cage ~ now I have to buy a bloody cocky.

Safe travels :
FollowupID: 756468

Follow Up By: Al-one - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 20:03

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 20:03
Hello everyone,
Thanks everyone for your contributions. It seems like journos are the same everywhere "never let the truth get in the way of a good story". I apologise to any ethical ones out there but too many of your mob let you down. It's good to hear everyone survived relatively unscathed. We are due in the area in late May early June so it seems our plans remain intact for now.
Cheers,
Al-one
FollowupID: 756507

Sponsored Links