Next Caravan question..load levelling devices ??

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 16:42
ThreadID: 92689 Views:3141 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm gradually getting this vanning thing sorted...ticked off on brake controllers, stone
guards, brakes & bearings serviced, & a weekend trip showed all good...
Next question...load levelling devices. If I apply, say 150Kg of upward force on
spring bars & reapply it to the A frame about a meter further back...what is the net
result in reduced downward pressure ? A bit must be transferred to the van axle, but
I cant see much going towards the front wheels. I understand some true WDH
systems do take weight forward by being attached forward of the rear axle, but I refer
to the bar types inserted at the towball & then at the A frame. I see many vans
with such devices but remain unsure of their effectiveness...must be missing
something. Please dont go near ATM's, GVW etc etc. Not the issue here...more
interested in the safety & handling stuff. cheers....oldbaz.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 17:47

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 17:47
No expert but Good Load Levellers such as Hayman Reese, make a huge difference when towing van. Less fore and aft pitching, less sway, makes the tow vehicle and the towed vehicle feel much more like a unit.

Keep up the research!
AnswerID: 481016

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 19:04

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 19:04
G'day Oldbaz

I have had a 20' van and would always use the HD WDB.

The van I have now is only 12' and have tried it with and without the light weight bars and would always use the bars now.

Without the bars the vans appeared to bounce around a lot and anything in the van did the same. Can be very messy.The steering can also be very light as the front of the car will sit up as the weight of the van is placed on the towball.

The bars also throw weight back onto the front wheels, or put another way the bars bring the car and van back to a near level unit.

In a nutshell much safer to use bars that are suitable for the weight of the van.

FollowupID: 756420

Reply By: splits - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 20:14

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 20:14
"more interested in the safety & handling stuff"

Have a look through this article then. All van and trailer owners should read this before buying anything. There is a lot more on the net from the same author.

http://www.caravanandmotorhomebooks.com/pdf/vehicle_dynamics_complete.pdf
AnswerID: 481032

Reply By: gary53 - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 20:49

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 20:49
Oldbaz, I went to the Brissie Caravan show a few years back and H-R had a display and did demos. They had a vehicle sitting on 4 load cells, one per wheel, and showed how to get the weight from the rear wheels back forward again after attaching a heavy trailer and fitting their WDH. Seriously, I would not tow my van without one fitted as they clearly showed how well they work Gary
AnswerID: 481037

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 02:15

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 02:15
Image Could Not Be Found

This diagram is the figures produced from a similar demo at the Melbourne show some years back

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 756533

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 08:10

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 08:10
Thank you for your input, much appreciated, & that article is a beauty.
I will investigate the most appropriate device for my application.
Cheers....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 481063

Reply By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 09:24

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 09:24
Oldbaz, the manufacturer of my van won't let you leave the factory without it being set up correctly. I have over sized tyres on the Landcruiser and with the van on the back, even one chain link additional improved the steering capability to my driving feel. Don't get me wrong, the van was perfectly stable, but I could feel the twitch in the tyres, but with that little more weight applied to the front, that disappeared.
AnswerID: 481069

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 02:11

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 02:11
This is a good explanation.

Here is another good article from Collyn Rivers Site Link
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 481139

Sponsored Links