car alarms

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 19:21
ThreadID: 92694 Views:1418 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Need to get a car alarm put onto my Patrol before our big trip away. Spending time away from the fully loaded car doing walks etc which is my main reason.

There are a few different types that I know of but things have probably changed also. Types I know of are:
1. Voltage drop on batter (door opens, interior light goes on therefore alarm goes off)
2. press buttons spring loaded that activate alarm when panels are opened
3. others I don't know about

Any experience in what has survived the torture we put our cars through and what works best?

Thanks,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: nsngood - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 22:11

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 22:11
Hi gossy,
you will find that most alarms will have several areas of protection as standard. Door protection usually provided by direct hookup to door switch curcuit.
Add a switch to the bonnet if not supplied as standard. make sure rear door is on same curcuit or as above put in another switch.
You can add movement switches,glass breakage sensors, proximity sensors (useful in a convertable) There is a miriad off sensors available to fit and any good installer should be able to recomend a good combination.
you can remote start, remote electric window wind up sunroof closers.
Add a internal screamer siren to annoy hell out of the crooks.
Most good alarms will incorporate two/three immobiliser curcuits.
BUT, speak to an installer and probably best to keep it pretty simple if you are going remote, even then pretty well all immobilisers/alarms are pretty simple tp bypass if things go wrong.
AnswerID: 481046

Follow Up By: nsngood - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 22:14

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2012 at 22:14
One product i recomend and use to fit is dynamco products in perth wa.
i am not affiliated with this company havent installed alarms for a living for a few years but still use there products when the need arises and always got/get good support and advice
FollowupID: 756436

Reply By: ian - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 00:18

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 00:18
Gossy
I would be cautious about an immoboliser with the alarm as outback workshops do a good business ripping them out when they buga up.
Ian
AnswerID: 481052

Reply By: SDG - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 22:01

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 22:01
Another thing to consider is for you to know how to disconect it if need be. My key fob thingy recently got moisture in it. Hence would not unlock doors, turn off alarm. Ignition would not turn it off either.
Ever been under a bonnet with a siren going off?
Just as well I had the actual siren key, and knew which wire to disconnect.
AnswerID: 481217

Sponsored Links