internet

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 12:44
ThreadID: 92711 Views:2824 Replies:3 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, i'm heading off to do the big lap soon, and after some info on getting internet access for the laptop. Best carrier etc?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - esarby (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 12:51

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 12:51
Jamdan.

I have travel to a lot of places and found that the only reliable service out of built up areas is Telstra Bigpond. I us their $G wireless system. It reverts back to 3G when you get out of range of the 4G areas.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 481092

Follow Up By: Life Member - esarby (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 12:52

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 12:52
Jamdan.
Sorry for the typo. Should be 4G not $G.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 756466

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 14:02

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 14:02
Agree with esarby, telstra bigpond is the only carrier in the bush, unless you have a satellite phone which will give you internet but it is so slow only good for emails.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 756469

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 14:22

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 14:22
Hi Jamdan

Just like esarby and Andys Adventures, Telstra is the only real option. If Telstra will not work in an area that you are in, you will have no hope with the other carriers.

The new 4G are supposed to be very good and when you are not in a 4G area, will revert back to 3G, but work faster that the standard 3G units.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 756471

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 16:41

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 16:41
esarby,

as you only put 1 x $ in there we'll give you the benefit of the doubt it was an innocent typo

;))
FollowupID: 756490

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 02:21

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 02:21
Forget the 4G model, it is only good for the higher speeds for about a 5 km radius around the major capital cities at this stage. Concentrate on getting a modem that works well on the Next-G network, that is the one used out in the bush.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 756534

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 08:23

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 08:23
Nomadic Navara

Peter

Sorry to say this, but you are wrong on what you have just stated. As you will see from the coverage map, the new 4G units still work when not in a 4G areas, but with still faster speeds than your typical 3G units.

Telstra 4G Coverage Map - Australia Wide

If you click on any location, eg where I live in SA, you have 4G coverage well out towards Snowtown and beyond, which is well into country SA.

This is the latest technology and the communications field are changing rapidly, so why but something now that is outdated.

We have had the run down at work and it looks very impressive. Do some more research and you will find that for anyone looking at purchasing a mobile devise for travelling, then the new 4G units are the only way to go.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 756546

Follow Up By: MartyB - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 08:26

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 08:26
Hi PeterD,
I disagree with your advise.
The best modem currently available on the NextG network is the 4G model.
It works on NextG as well as any NextG modem plus it has the advantage of 4G speeds in a heap of regional towns not just metro. This is the model I would buy. I currently have the NextG Ultimate model.

from Marty.
Current radio & electronics technician.
FollowupID: 756548

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:03

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:03
Hi Stephen,
Looking at that map is not show real coverage area's only estimates. The map shows coverage from Borroloola to McArthur Mine a distance of 83 klm, but you loses signal 3 klm from Borroloola. So that map is just a guide.
At bottom of map it says "The coverage displayed is created using tools that predict the likely areas of coverage. While the coverage identified is generally accurate, there will be areas described as being within coverage areas where mobile devices will not work".
I agree that the 4G would be better to buy now, but as for the coverage would only be within town limits.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 756559

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 14:33

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 14:33
We use Telstra Next G and it is the only option when out and about. We could cope with being without internet for a couple of weeks (three and a half when on the Gibb River Road was our maximum time off line). I do all business, banking and correspondence by internet when travelling, negating the need for paper mail. For those who do need daily internet, setting up satellite internet is not cheap but worth it for those with a need for frequent internet advisability.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 481099

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 15:12

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 15:12
Yep, Telstra. We have the Next G Ultimate wireless modem but find we get better coverage from our Telstra Phone, blue tick, using it as a modem. We have an external antenna and patch leads for both, but even with the antenna the phone is better with poor signal.
Some will tell you that an external antenna will only enhance a week signal, no signal, therefore no help with an antenna.
On several occasions we have found that the phone will not show any bars, no signal. I have put the antenna up high and plugged it in and bingo, nice signal and access for the internet or to make a call.
Most occasions we will use the wireless modem, but when using our phone the speed is still pretty good.
Kevin
AnswerID: 481103

Follow Up By: Member -Outback Mac C (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 20:13

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 20:13
What external antenna do you have?

Cheers Mac
FollowupID: 756510

Follow Up By: Member - bill j (VIC) - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 07:58

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 07:58
What make of phone do you have. Thanks
FollowupID: 756543

Follow Up By: Kris and Kev - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:13

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:13
We just got the basic mobile phone, sorry not one of the smart phones, a Telstra EasyTouch Discovery 2, blue tick. I cannot recall the antenna details, but it is just a magnetic base one, about 44 cm long, not sure of the gain.

These are the different antennas available according to Telstra.
• Low gain - city and major regional areas (0 - 3 dBi)
• Medium gain - regional (3 - 5 dBi)
• High gain - rural and major highways (6.5 - 7.5 dBi).

Like I said we have two patch leads, one for the phone and the other for the wireless modem. We bought them all from a Telstra Store. Kevin
FollowupID: 756561

Sponsored Links