Water

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 22:27
ThreadID: 92718 Views:2645 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

We are shortly going to be commencing our caravaning career. We are newbies and just trying to pick up a few pointers. We envisage being off road and more self-sufficient than regular campsite/park users. What we'd like to ask is what are the protocols for filling up our water tanks? Do towns have taps available etc for travellers use, or do we have to at least book a night in a formal caravan park?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: baz&pud (Tassie) - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 22:40

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 22:40
G'day AP,
We have been caravanning for a few years now, and generally we will pull into a CVP at least one night a week to have a loooong shower and the water tanks.
If we are unable to get to a CVP we ask at the servo that we are filling up at if we can get water, and generaly it's ok.
Hint, you can nearly always get water from a tap at a cemetery.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 481135

Follow Up By: Bill BD - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 23:10

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 23:10
"Hint, you can nearly always get water from a tap at a cemetery."... but avoid drinking the ground water.
FollowupID: 756531

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 23:22

Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 23:22
Hi Arsenal Phill

We usually fill at fuel outlets - but ask before we agree to purchase fuel, as some may not have suitable access. We need fuel more often than water. We do not use filters as many do, but just use water direct from a bucket if it is not clean enough to put in our tanks unfiltered.

As outback travellers, we understand water survival is very important, so i have written a few articles on where to fill, how to economise when water is short, and what to do when you have no water. These can be found on my website in my profile, or i can MM you direct links.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 481138

Reply By: Lifetime Member-Heather MG NSW - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 07:46

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 07:46
Hi Arsenal Phill,
In our case...it varies.

Sometimes there is potable water available at the townToilet dump point...it is marked as not safe to drink otherwise. Just don't use the hose provided for rinsing out the toilet cassettes...use your own clean one.

Also, we have called in at the Information centre in towns to ask whether theres a tap provided for visitors and often there is.

If there is nowhere then we either book into a caravan park or ask to buy some at the serice station when buying fuel, as others have mentioned.

On a few occasions when its rained ovenight we have collected run off water from our awning and used that...sometimes there has been enough to top up our two 90 litre tanks in the outback.

We find carrying a couple of empty 20 litre containers in the car handy as we can easliy fill those and top up the tanks when passing through towns.

If necessary we can be very frugal with our use.
Hope this helps you.
regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 481148

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 08:03

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 08:03
Quote:
"On a few occasions when its rained ovenight we have collected run off water from our awning and used that...sometimes there has been enough to top up our two 90 litre tanks in the outback. "

We have ordered a new van (still waiting excitedly for the big day) and was quite surprised to learn that the van comes with a rainwater collection system with a first flush bypass . The rain falling on the roof of the van is channelled into a small "trough" where there is a bypass activated from inside the van - so after its been raining for a while (to wash dirt off roof), inactivate the bypass and the rain water will go straight into your water tanks-- - when they fill it will then go to waste again on the ground. Just a clever way to be self sufficent for longer. But I think you would need to have a fibreglass roof for this option.
Cheers
FollowupID: 756544

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 09:19

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 09:19
Thanks to everyone for your input. It has cleared up this little, yet important issue. We are very glad that we have joined your community and looking forwarding to exploring it more.
AnswerID: 481164

Follow Up By: petengail - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:44

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:44
Often times you will find taps in places that do not have a handle like our local boat ramp. This is usually to stop vandals from turning on taps and walking away. You can buy a handy little "+" piece from Bunnings with four different fittings. Not sure how much it was but was relatively cheap.
FollowupID: 756563

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 14:37

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 14:37
Agreed - security taps have just about taken over the public spaces everywhere - very important to have those brass handles for access - we have two types, because two patterns have emerged in our travels (one has a pin with splines all way round - the other a pin with two flats). As for water access overall, tourist info offices are worth the ask if you don't spot one at the servo or municipal buildings and spaces - strange that some communities have tourist offices that seem reluctant to give away anything other than "costs", while others offer things such as a free dump point, water and advice of free camps plus everything else. Hard to figure.
FollowupID: 756575

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 16:04

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 16:04
oi Phil,

we find the best thing to do is wear a United shirt and everyone will be falling over themselves to help fill your tanks just to get a touch of the sacred shirt
FollowupID: 756579

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 18:38

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 18:38
Steve, nice one mate. Very funny. Feel that we get plenty of help when they see my plates. Arsenal all the way....Cruiser, work trailer and caravan.
FollowupID: 756585

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 20:54

Friday, Mar 23, 2012 at 20:54
Hi Phill

It also pays to be aware of water quality, and make you fills at optimum points. We came into Queensland from the Barkly and stayed at a CP in Mount Isa whilst sightseeing there. The town water failed the cup-of-tea test, so i would not fill the tanks. My concern was that we were heading towards the deep artesian water which smells like rotten eggs. However when we got to Boulia, where we also stayed at the CP, the bore water was excellent so we filled the tanks, topped up the jerry cans, and filled cool drink bottles for extra drinking water. We did not fill the tanks again until we reached Gloucester in NSW around six weeks later.

We had been told by other travellers that water was good at Gloucester so we were looking to fill up the tanks, and asked at a garage where we were having the caravan brakes adjusted, and he said "I have a tap and you are welcome to fill up here".Too easy.

Although my research and progress is slow so not a lot of places loaded as yet, where to find water in towns that offer this as a service for travellers is to be a feature of my website. Many towns do provide a free or in some cases small fee water fill for travellers.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 481215

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 14:35

Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 14:35
Thanks MH....
FollowupID: 756629

Reply By: GT Campers - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 13:22

Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 13:22
when travelling, always respect and be mindful of the fact that water is a scarece commodity and no matter what, someone needs to pay the plumber.

Councils remove the handles from taps in boat ramp areas etc not to discourage 'vandalism' but to discourage free camping; Around Sydney/hawkesbury in the past I sometimes saw caravanners hooking up to tap, doing thier washing, emptying the grey water onto the fish cleaning areas and generally being bogan free-loading pests with a 'it's a free country and I've paid me taxes' attitude. So keep this in mind :)
AnswerID: 481255

Follow Up By: GT Campers - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 13:24

Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 13:24
..oh and welcome to your new life!!
FollowupID: 756627

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 14:37

Saturday, Mar 24, 2012 at 14:37
Thanks GT. A very valid point. Somewhere along the line, someone pays. We would expect that to be us. We wouldn't want to get a rep as `freeloaders' LOL
We were just trying to get a handle on the ease of aquiring water in towns etc.

Thanks for the welcome to the new life. We are really excited to get the new van. Expecting delivery in May and have pencilled in a long weekend camp at Conto's as our first trip.

All the best

FollowupID: 756630

Sponsored Links