Porcupine gorge and south for Easter

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 09:43
ThreadID: 92761 Views:1521 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

2nd try at Porcupine and it seems not possible again! . I see that the lynd-hughnden is currently closed but if it opens will next weekend camping in Porcupine Gorge be possible/worth trying?

From there we have 3 open days to get down to the Whitsundays -any suggestions on interesting routes to take given the wet -I would like to try Charters-->Mount Coolon-->Neebo-->Makay-->Arlie Beach rather than charters-townsville-Arlie.

Where's best to overnight on the former route? lots of the roads on the former route are "proceed with caution". We are in Atherton and travelling in single vehicle (jeep cherokee) with small kids.

thanks,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 17:14

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 17:14
ceylon,

Been up the Lynd road a few times, and if it's still closed, then I'd suggest it may only be at the Einasleigh River, and at that other permanent creek, not far north of Lyndhurst. So that mightn't help if you want to come straight down through the Lynd.

Unsure what the access road into the Gorge would be like either.

We had to go up to Cairns a few weeks ago, and opted to go through Townsville, rather than risk getting caught somewhere up that road.

Can't help you with camps on that other route, but think the "proceed with caution" is only to alert motorists that there could be some dramas on the road.......washouts, potholes, wet & damaged shoulders, missing bitumen. It probably covers "their" backsides, if someone has an accident, due to damaged roads?

Travel safe,
Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 481363

Reply By: Member - bill f (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 19:48

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 19:48
Hi, Travelled part of that in January. The road below the Burdekin Dam is closed I think so you would have to go thru Belyando Crossing, check on Cape Riv. Dirt to Mt Coolon but good bitumen to Nebo & thru to Mackay. RACQ road reports should have any closures. Bill
AnswerID: 481380

Reply By: Member - peter & dawn m (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 22:34

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 22:34
g/day porcupine gorge is not that far off main rd & well worth the visit but if in a van make sure to book a spot as it can get a bit crowed & not a lot of camp spots for vans
AnswerID: 481394

Sponsored Links