Birdsville Track, Flinders Ranges & Lake Eyre

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 20:10
ThreadID: 92773 Views:2984 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone

We are heading off in 3-4 weeks and heading north from Western NSW.

The plan was to take the Birdsville Track via the Flinders Ranges. We have researched road closures etc but we want to know if anyone has passed through any of these roads in recent weeks since the rain and what shape the roads are in. We will be towing an off road camper trailer with a 4WD.

Thanks in advance

www.norrisaroundaustralia.com

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 22:10

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 22:10
Hi Shaun and Sarah

I was asked a similar question during the week from a viewer of this forum. I have since contacted one of my contacts that lives up along the Birdsville Track, west of Mungerannie. I will not edit my reply email. but here is what she had to say:

"Not much, we got 180mm but not everyone did so the Warburton peaked from on ground rain at about 1.5m, the main dribble into the Lake is from the rain on the Western side and the Mucumba - flash in the pan. The Lake has about 60% cover of clear water so it's only rain on ground. The nearest large falls was the biggy at Clayton station and about 90km up towards Cliffton Hills was about 100 - 150mm formed a big lake near the road - track is tricky but should be coming good now. I have been watching odd falls up in the channel country theres been nothing so far but some recent stuff might take another week or so to come up in the rivers. I have some pics but not on this computer, send me a email reminder in a couple of days and I'll send you some pics. The Birdsville Track - North is a patch of green paradise not our usual desert, road needs work, South - is as lush and they have started work on the track the only water is a couple mm at the Frome and a bit at Deviation Creek. We will need 8 - 15 inches in the channel country before the Warburton will do anything but I never sigh until the end of April.

Kind Regards
Terra"

This is the most reliable information that I have on hand from only the other night.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 481393

Follow Up By: Member - Shaun & Sarah N1 - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 16:45

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 16:45
Thanks very much for sharing.
FollowupID: 757060

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 03:25

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 03:25
Shaun & Sarah,

Drove down the Birdsville track last week.

The track is OK with caution as there are some wash outs on the side of the road.

The only vehicle we saw apart from some road crews was a Police vehicle which was doing a RBT.

Wayne
AnswerID: 481406

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 11:17

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 11:17
Shaun & Sarah,

Beautiful, clear skies up here in Central Qld at moment.

Did hear a flood report for the Diamantina this morning, that suggests there will be a minor flood peak near Birdsville in a couple of weeks.

Don't think this should worry you, as the crossing out of Birdsville would handle such a flood, without closing the road.

Might be the odd bush fly about then too, but if you can source some Natures Botanical "Rosemary & Cedarwood", then they'll leave you alone.

enjoy the drive,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 481721

Follow Up By: Member - Shaun & Sarah N1 - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 16:47

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 16:47
Thanks heaps.

We have been been to Birdsville twice in the last 18 mths the first was around the time the races were isolated by the rain in 2010. Fun times. We got through some of the roads then but we weren't towing anything. We will be this time.

Thanks for the tip re the flies. There is a lot of them.
FollowupID: 757061

Sponsored Links