Tanami track

Hi all we are thinking of heading across the tanami I have a ifs 100 series with the lot but I'll be towing a 25 foot off road caravan now I won't be out to break any land speed records.is it possible to do it our am I better of going the long way any advice would be good.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 21:13

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 21:13
What brand van?

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 481386

Follow Up By: toyotarules - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 21:20

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 21:20
It's a 2012 outback jayco
FollowupID: 756752

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 21:48

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 21:48
The Tanami will kill your van.

I took my Bushtracker down there and hated it. 25psi and 20kph, and I still had to carry out maintenance at Tilmouth Wells.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 756754

Follow Up By: member-PradoMad - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 12:11

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 12:11
Jayco's are not made for this sort of terrain.
JS.
FollowupID: 756786

Follow Up By: geoffqld - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 20:12

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 20:12
Took mine down without any damage, outback destiny, dual axle, shower and toilet behind a patrol ute. Broke a spring on the ute but no problems with the van.
Geoff
FollowupID: 756831

Follow Up By: geoffqld - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 20:14

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 20:14
Should have said it was 17'6"
Geoff
FollowupID: 756832

Reply By: Mark H20 - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 21:50

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 21:50
I don't think crossing the Tanami with a Jayco "off road" 25foot in tow is a wise decision to make. I'm up that way most years, and have crossed it twice in different vehicles also towing. Destroyed an expensive off road trailer the second time, 3 years ago. I now go the long way. I would have no hesitation crossing in just the toyota, but don't like your chances of having the Jayco in one piece, inside or out at the end of your journey. I do some work out on the Tanami from the Halls Creek end most years, I'm less than 100k's down, and the trip is a nightmare with corrigations most years.
Don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings. Just my experience from past trips.

AnswerID: 481389

Reply By: Member - City_Wombat - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 23:09

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 23:09
I doubt there is such a thing as a 25foot off-road caravan that could haldle the Tamami Track. The 100 seeries is OK but I would be driving very carefully with the van. I croursed there with a Camper Trailer last year without problem. Keeo the speed down.
AnswerID: 481398

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 23:22

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 23:22
I thought 25foot and off road couldn't possibly be used in the same sentence.
A contradiction in terms.
I would imagine in other than ideal/favourable circumstances 25 ft would be a liability and definitely not suited to this type of road.
I have seen Jayco campervans which don't cut the mustard and they are only 12ft. They broke axles off swing arms but rated as "OFFROAD".
FollowupID: 756760

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 23:31

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 23:31
Hi Ross - I didn't know Jayco used the label off road- i thought they badged theirs as Outback.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 756762

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 11:33

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 11:33
G'day Motherhen
You are correct, Jayco do not use the term Offroad, anymore, but they used to use it and found, despite the name, the the gear couldn't be used off road without axle failures and other breakages and now use the term Outback.
So these types of vehicles are only suited to back stuff or relatively smooth gravel roads. Jayco learned the lesson and use a name change to avoid claims.
I would regard the Tanami as being off road and also outback.
Travellers must not get the name intention mixed up otherwise any form of warranty you think you might have may be in jepoardy.
Forgetting warranty, just having a 25ft van broken down on the Tanami would be quite an irritation I would suspect.
It is interesting the comments from "off road" van owners than they had to do maintenance.
I am amused at people who think, that just because it has got wheels it is suited to travel anywhere. Outback means away from the suburbs and the Stuart Highway is classed as outback, it is right in the middle of it.
Unfortunately most people think of OFFROAD and OUTBACK as meaning much the same thing. So, if you have an Outback Jayco you can't risk using it Offroad.
FollowupID: 756784

Follow Up By: Off-track - Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 00:13

Tuesday, Mar 27, 2012 at 00:13
The term offroad is not easily defined and but does cover non-paved roads, ie; dirt/gravel. Offroad isnt just a single set difficulty of terrain but an almost limitless range of terrain that can be anywhere between a graded road to a rutted/muddy/rocky/corrugated mountainside goat track. Is a dirt road such as the Tanami reclassed from offroad to something else after the corrugations are graded out?

To say that an Outback cant be used on even the easiest type of offroad terrain because the name outback is away from a city but on a tar road such as the Stuart Hwy (in probably better condition than a city road no less) is a bit silly really.
FollowupID: 756861

Reply By: Kyle H - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 23:31

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 23:31
Did the Tanami in May 2008 starting from Halls Creek with a Supreme Territory in tow. Around 1100 ks of heavily corrigated road, in fact the truckies were talking over the UHF at the time the corrugations were the worst they had seen.
Travelled to the conditions, 20 PSI in tyres, it took us 3 days to arrive at Tilmouth Wells camping at Wolfe Creek, Rabbit Flat then Tilmouth Wells.
No damage to the van other than the fridge had stopped working when we reached Alice Springs. The local that fixed it had said we came down the Tanami relatively unscathed because many times he has seen the fridges come out of their cavities and bounce around the inside of the van.
We thoroughly enjoyed the experience but I will admit that we were over the corrugations by the time we reached Tilmouth Wells.
It certainly is not a relaxing drive.
AnswerID: 481399

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 23:34

Sunday, Mar 25, 2012 at 23:34
Hi Toyotarules

Take the 'long way' with your caravan. If you were lucky enough to get through unscathed, damage done would manifest itself sooner of later. If not, you may be up for a bill of around $20,000 if you need to be recovered.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 481400

Reply By: toffytrailertrash - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:17

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:17
The first thing I would be doing is checking the warranty with Jayco for that particular stretch of road. Usually their 'off road' means graded gravel which is definitely not the Tanami.
AnswerID: 481418

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 11:39

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 11:39
Decide first up if your van is OFFROAD or OUTBACK. Big difference. The compliance of the suspension is one of the issues here.
As mentioned above in reply to Motherhen, Outback means not in the suburbs of a town or on main roads. You have used both terms describing your van and they are not the same meaning at all.
AnswerID: 481427

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 17:20

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 17:20
Even caravans of some brands badged as Off Road models have disclaimers which void warranty if taken on rough or corrugated roads - they may specify as suitable only for taking off bitumen for a short way such as into a campground. We crossed a lot off our list before considering only the best of the dedicated off road manufacturers. And yes, we did have maintenance needs on the Tanami; it is a long way with a lot of corrugations and ruts.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 756816

Reply By: toyotarules - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 19:47

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 19:47
Thanks for all the in put everyone the van is a jayco out back with simplicity suspension now at the end of the day I don't want to brake it so I'll be happy to take the long way around. we bought the van simply for the value for money now I could have gotting a bushtracker our a kedron but just couldn't justify the extra money and no matter what u buy if it's gunna brake it's gunna brake. Me and the wife are going to work our way around Australia so the van will be doing a lot off black top and with the tanami we were just looking for the quickest way to broome
AnswerID: 481461

Sponsored Links