Camper Trailer Mods

Submitted: Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 15:18
ThreadID: 92792 Views:8651 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all
Well have gone out and purchased a MDC camper trailer from this years caravan & camping show in Perth.
Allthough it is not the top of the woz unit it will suit my needs.
Apart from modifying the drawbar to suit the twin spares on the back of my tray,
is there any other mods that are required to these units for a good lifespan.
Bearing in mind I don't need this unit to follow me up trees or cliff faces as some units are currently capable of ( according to their makers ).
Unit is simply for the odd weekend away.
Cheers & Regards
Paul

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 19:48

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 19:48
Not familiar with the MDC but does it have a shock absorbing hitch which will help take out some of the road shock and suddeness between the two vehicles?
This should help with the added weight of the spares because they will add load to the tow hitch whatever type is used.

Consider loading so the ball weight is not too much, by loading heavier items near axle of trailer or just behind.

Regards
Ross M
AnswerID: 481462

Follow Up By: Flighty ( WA ) - Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 20:02

Monday, Mar 26, 2012 at 20:02
Ross
Unit has a "treg" type hitch fitted and 7 leaf springs 'eye to eye' and shocks.
The spares are already fitted to my tray, which is why the drawbar mods are required before I can use it.
Although this camper is an "import" I spent a bit of time under it looking at the fabrication side and it seems quite okay, but am keen to find out any other issues that other people have found with not only this, but other types as well before they arise.
Cheers & Regards
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 756827

Reply By: Member - David T5 - Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 22:01

Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 22:01
Hi Paul

Congrats on your new CT, I have had a MDC Extreme Explorer for about 18 months. These trailers are IMO an entry level CT, but serve the purpose.
Theese are the things that needed attention on mine, it might be worth checking before you go outback.
- bearings are cheap and nasty (replace before they fail)
- discovered both wheels were seized on the hubs, the spare did not even fit on the hub without some modification)
- almost all the latches on jerrycan and gas bottle holders fall apart
- rubber seal between bed board and trailer does not seal on the hinge side
- straps on the canvas cover rotted away within 12 months
- hinges and latches on tool box just riveted and all became loose pretty quickly
- not very well dust proofed (get some sikaflex and start sealing the gaps)
- *MOST IMPORTANT, some of the welds underneath were the worst welds I had ever seen, one of the welds between the "A" frame and the chassis was not actually conecting the two.
I have rectified these issues and also made some mods which have improved the trailer a far bit.
ie: 12v water pump and tap on sink, two 110AH deep cycle batteries, wheels changed so as to be compatable with tow vehicle, swing out rear wheel carrier on rear, moved toolbox forward and fitted pole holders across front of trailer, removed existing jerry can holders and replaced with custom fitted holders.
We are about to take ours on a 6500kl trip through central Aus (Birdsville Track, Oodnandatta track, Mernie Loop, Plenty Hwy, etc), that will be its first real test.
I hope the mob at MDC have sorted some of their manufacturing issues, and yours is trouble free.
Have Fun
Dave
AnswerID: 481923

Follow Up By: Flighty ( WA ) - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 12:16

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 12:16
Dave
Many thanks for your input on this unit, it is good to find out these niggly little issues before they turn into big ones.
Will certainly be checking out you suggestions when unit arrives, especially the wheels & bearings.
Welding of drawbar won't be an issue as they are supplying unit without any welding on it, because I have to make up and fit a longer one at my fab shop to accomodate for dual spare wheel carriers on the 79 series.
Once again thank-you and hope your pending trip is a safe and memorable one for you and your family.

Cheers & Regards
Paul

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 757257

Sponsored Links