Boat Trailer Wheels to fit L/cruiser 60 ?

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:17
ThreadID: 92857 Views:2270 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G`day folks,

I am thinking of building an " Off Road Boat Trailer", one that will hold together for long trips on our rough roads.

I saw a lot of broken Boat Trailers around Cape York last winter, they were not made for those road conditions,most were overloaded as well.

I have been told that the wheels from an early Navara, D21 I think, will fit a 60 series L/cruiser. I think there size is 6 stud 14" x 6" which would be good.

Now, in the most unlikely case of having to use either the trailer spare on the 60 or visa versa (spelling), what would be the repercussions of the differing overall diameters ?
Of course this would be only as a last resort and would be rectified asap.

Any one who has built or has a H/Duty Boat Trailer that would like to share some tips or info I would appreciate it.

The trailer will be to suit a 12' to 14' tinny.

Thanks in advance,

Scrubby
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:45

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 21:45
Be careful with rim selection. 14" may not have the same ID hole even though the 6 studs may be the same pitch. 15" or 16" may give more flexible fitting though.

Something to check is the offset because, if you set the wheel flange for a 60 series cruiser with -30 offset rims then the other rims may not have the same offset and when bolted on will cause the inside of the tyre to press hard against the chassis or boat. A modern Hilux rim if bolted to something set up for a 60 series will cause the tyre to be 60mm further inwards. Quite a change, so be aware if you haven't already factored this into your calculations.
AnswerID: 481680

Follow Up By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 22:13

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 22:13
Thanks Ross ,

The bloke who told me about the D21 Nissan Navara wheels said that he had tried them for fit, clearance and off set on a Nissan Patrol and that the patrol wheels will fit a 60 s cruiser and the Cruiser wheels will fit the patrol, so clearance should not be a problem.

I run 31x10.5x15 on the Cruiser and thought that I might be able to use a smaller size on the trailer and carry just the one spare for it and two for the vehicle and in an extreme case they could be used as spares on either.

Scrubby.
FollowupID: 757012

Reply By: PhilD - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 22:52

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2012 at 22:52
Hi,
It depends where you want to go off-road with your boat, but my experience with a 5m side console in the north is to have a bigger boat for safety and to go places that a smaller boat won't safely.
It means that you need to have a serious trailer, with independent suspension in my case, off road hitch, and I have used L/C wheels for clearance and reliability. The wheels match my 100 series obviously but are different to my Isuzu, so I carry 2 spares on my trailer. I would never use 14" wheels if you are going to go seriously off-road eg Gulf, Kimberley and parts of Qld.
The trailer needs to be built tough and you need to carry spares and gear to fix it when something goes wrong, as they get a hammering, on tracks and routes like the Tanami, out to Arnhem Land etc.
Make sure you have big axles and bearings. I am currently upgrading to 63mm axles and totally waterproof bearings to overcome some of the issues I have found.
Hope this helps.
Phil
AnswerID: 481687

Reply By: Bill BD - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 00:22

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 00:22
Are you asking, what are the implications for the car if the diameters are different... or what are the implications for the trailer?

For the car it makes a huge difference if you are in 4WD. Even slight differences cause diff wind up... or that is the case with my jeep.

The trailer is less of an issue... as an emergency measure it isn't going to effect you greatly.
AnswerID: 481694

Reply By: Madfisher - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 13:49

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 13:49
Scubby try and get a loo0k at a mckay trailer mate, they are excepted as the best and will give you some ideas. I thought I brought the 2nd best Dunbier, already thrown the cheap chinese bearings away, now doing the same with the axle that had a bend in it after 5 months.
Tight lines Pete
AnswerID: 481730

Sponsored Links