STEALING in the Outback..

After our Winter trip last year, I had a bit of a rave about the conduct & actions of some Outback travellers..
This Summer trip indicates things are getting worse.

Case 1. A vehicle with a camper trailer got bogged in a wash away on a 'Closed Road'. His mate sought assistance from a nearby station. The guy at the Station took a tractor down to free the bogged unit. On his return after about a 3 hours- the 2 front wheels of his own Landcruiser had been STOLEN.

Case 2. At another station, Solar panels which powered a pump to water livestock STOLEN. This had led to the complete closure of a very popular gold fossiking area (and some very thirsty stock).

Case 3. Solar panels seem to be a favourite. This time, the setup was to supply water to a town. Panels STOLEN.

What's going on....or is it too easy now for some 'dick heads' to access remote areas ???

Please- please- please- if you see someone doing the wrong things on your travels, take a rego number and REPORT IT TO THE COPS!!!!

Happy and safe travels to all this season
J&D

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: True Blue - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 14:36

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 14:36
Please- please- please- if you see someone doing the wrong things on your travels, take a rego number and REPORT IT TO THE COPS!!!!

I agree with you whole heartedly wombat100 but you really do wonder about this country sometimes, even when you report a crime to the police......

About 18 months ago, whilst living in an outer eastern suburb of Melbourne, I disturbed a couple of thieves who were in the process of stealing a motorcycle of mine from our driveway. When disturbed they dumped the bike off the rear of their ute and took off. It was night but I still got a good description of the two plus I managed to get the vehicle's rego.

Well, when I went to report it to the police the officer's only concern was whether the bike was insured or not. The bike was later written off because of the damaged sustained and yes fortunately it was insured. The officer said, well that's all right then and just left it at that. He DID NOT want the vehicle's rego or description of the offenders. Does that somewhere come under aiding and abeting criminals?

In the same area many years ago I worked side by side with a guy who had a serious drug problem. I came to know him quite well over the years and one day I simply asked him what would he do if he could not get drugs from his usual sources? He said with a straight face and with total sincerity, "easy..just contact your local police, they control all the drugs in this area".

Let's face it people this country is f*&$%ed.

Authorities see us as the enemy and the crims run amok.

in the meantime happy travels,
Wayne

AnswerID: 481738

Follow Up By: toffytrailertrash - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 16:23

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 16:23
I find it very strange that you will take the word of a person with a serious drug problem in relation to a very wide problem in any Metro area. As far as your report to the locals why didn't you ring 000 at the time of the attempted theft. Your comments certainly don't provide any confidence with our local members at all and you apparently have no ideal what they have to put up with including comments of yours.

Retired ex member TOG No 3 Div Nunawading.

Have a good day

Merv
FollowupID: 757058

Follow Up By: True Blue - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 16:58

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 16:58
Nothing strange about it at all Merv. I would have trusted this person with my life.
He was a terrific bloke and friend but unfortunately had got mixed up in the drug scene. He had no motive at all in telling me an untruth. I believed him, no problem.

Didn't bother ringing 000 as the local station was literally around the corner and what was the hurry anyway, I have the vehicle's rego. Little good that turned out to be.

It is true that I "have no idea" what the local members put up with but I have friends and relatives who are in or have been in the force.

I'm just restating my experiences here. I appreciate you don't like my comments but neither do I get any pleasure from recounting them.

Just one final question Merv. Why didn't the local station show any interest in the details I had on the vehicle and it's occupants?

Wayne
FollowupID: 757063

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 16:58

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 16:58
Hi Merv,

Police in any state or town IMHO are under paid, over worked and do a job I would not do. Dealing with the dregs of society on a daily basis would tend to jade the outlook of the staunchest copper. Having said that, a neighbour of one of my kids was awakened during the night by the sound of a couple of low lifes trying to kick in his back door. While his wife was calling 000 to summon help he yelled that he had a shot gun and would use it. Unfortunately the kicking continued. By now his wife had an answer to her frantic call and handed the Phone to hubby with the comment that the police were too busy. The husband had quite a short but animated conversation with the copper on the other end who advised him that he should do whatever he had to as they were having a very busy night and no one was available to attend. Fortunately the yelled promise to shoot anyone that came through the door had the required effect and the attempted break in stopped. The coppers came out the next day, took the details and gave him an incident report number for his insurance company.
No I am not blaming the police, they are just so under staffed that I doubt the attempted stealing of a piece of property is that high a priority. I could tell you the story of a member of my family that rose to be a quite high ranking police officer and wound up quitting because of the effect it was having on his health and family.
He refused to go into much detail but made the comment that if the general public had an incite into what goes on in their job they wouldn't sleep at night.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 757064

Follow Up By: toffytrailertrash - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 17:13

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 17:13
You can and do come across incompetent people in all occupations and unfortunately you struck one that shouldn't be doing that line of employment. Just to give you an indication of Police strength in the outer eastern suburbs in Melbourne not that long ago you might be lucky to have five local Divisional vans and one Traffic unit working to cover a huge population and area. The majority of the guys and girls do their best but unfortunately there just aren't enough of them to go around. Am I glad I'm retired...you bet, been there, done that, seen far too much for one life time

Cheers

Merv
FollowupID: 757068

Reply By: Member - Josh- Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 21:53

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 21:53
This is the way I see it. People bitch and moan that the roads are too rough in remote areas and damage their vehicle. The councel have to upgrade the roads to prevent being sued. This allows low life scum to easily access the remoter areas. The media cover more areas now so people sitting at home see farms with all this stuff just sitting out in the open for easy picking. I think it is going to get a lot worse to.

Josh
AnswerID: 481800

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 22:11

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 22:11
Hi J & D,

I believe Karma or a piece of 4x2 will come to some of the thieves of outback. They have a special way of dealing with lowlifes, Theyd be praying for the cops to get to em 1st
AnswerID: 481802

Follow Up By: sweetwill - Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 08:56

Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 08:56
Wilko.
If you happen to run into " Karma" will you let it know I have a list of people it has mist cheers Bill.
FollowupID: 757139

Reply By: Nutta - Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 22:56

Thursday, Mar 29, 2012 at 22:56
Yep, its pretty simple, Australias turning into a s$!th@le!

A spineless government with a spineless system, crimes bad now and abut to get a whole lot worse.
AnswerID: 481810

Sponsored Links