Gas bottles and vehicles

Submitted: Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 09:10
ThreadID: 92892 Views:2439 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I received this email about a FJ cruiser with a leaking gas bottle and the result.

Here is the owners description.

So my time almost came to an end this morning... I'm very lucky to be
alive.

I had an acetylene bottle in my truck, the valve was bumped so slightly and
over night the truck filled with the gas. I noticed the smell, and opened
the doors to air out the truck. I drove the truck out of the garage to get
some more air movement. I went to roll the pass side window down and as
soon as I touched the power windows. BAM - with me in the truck. I lost all
hearing out of my right ear and got a scratch on the back of my head. All
things considering, I'm alive.

Image Could Not Be Found


Image Could Not Be Found


Image Could Not Be Found


Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: sweetwill - Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 09:40

Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 09:40
Rockape.
Do you think it will be a rightoff.
AnswerID: 481838

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 09:42

Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 09:42
Probably just buff the marks right out & it will be as good as new!
0
FollowupID: 757143

Follow Up By: Rockape - Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:23

Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:23
Might be a border line. Wait and see what the assessor thinks.

It will be easy to install a uhf now. Dash dismantled and all.

0
FollowupID: 757153

Reply By: brianc - Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:19

Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:19
I'm sorry but --- "I noticed the smell"....and still he proceeded to drive and use electric windows??
There's no helping some people.
AnswerID: 481846

Follow Up By: Rockape - Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:43

Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:43
He can't here now either.

At a mine I worked at a miner who had just received his shot fires ticket was told to take some old and explosives down to the bottom of the mine and throw the explosives in the water to desensitise them and fire the dets.

Well he places the dets amongst 250kg of explosives and fires the lot.

Because the explosives were out in the open it blew all the vent down for a couple of levels. It blew a double brick bulkhead down. All the services were demolished. They found his helmet 30 metres from where he had been when he fired it. He drove his vehicle up and was bleeding from the nose and ears + he couldn't hear.

The dual cab 75 series he was driving was a write off. It blew the front doors in and the back doors out. It blew the floor up and the roof partly off plus wrecked the bonnet. Naturally the windscreen and windows did not fair very well.

He had put in for a week off at Christmas and they had knocked him back. So what do they do, they suspend him for 1 week at Christmas. Ha. Ha.

0
FollowupID: 757156

Follow Up By: Ross M - Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:49

Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:49
For a start his steering wheel is on the wrong side.
He smells gas and as said then does something which is electrically related like starting and using arc making power window motors.

He obviously had just eaten DILLl pickles in his sandwiches too.
He is an apprentice bomb maker, he only managed to blow up half of the vehicle.
A competent person should be able to destroy most of it by at least getting the gas/oxygen mixture correct.
0
FollowupID: 757157

Reply By: member - mazcan - Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:31

Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:31
hi
the owner must have had a death wish
as to even think about unlocking or starting it
im amazed it didnt explode sooner
rather than when he put a passenger window down acetylene
wow some mothers do have em !!!!
and i notice it's LHdrive
he needs to fix the airconditioning by blowing the other side out now lol
dero dero me
AnswerID: 481848

Reply By: "crack-a-tinnie" - Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 12:31

Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 12:31
Rockape,

You should have put this one in Friday Funnies................
AnswerID: 481858

Reply By: Racey - Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 15:27

Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 15:27
Only in America.
AnswerID: 481871

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 09:30

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 09:30
Not only in america...not long ago aa australian plumber had his van leveled to the floorpan when he sent his apprentice out to the van for some stuff.

Fortunately the apprentice hit the key fob button and actuated the central locking from a distance

cheers
0
FollowupID: 757238

Follow Up By: GT Campers - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 10:20

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 10:20
yeah my mate is a firey, a bloke/situation he attended wasn't so lucky.
He was blown all over a postcode
0
FollowupID: 757246

Reply By: SDG - Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 17:31

Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 17:31
I think it vastly improved the appearance.
AnswerID: 481881

Reply By: Kimba10 - Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 20:01

Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 20:01
Wonder why the front air bag has gone off considering the sensors are in the very front of the vehicle, also the curtain airbags which I suppose is possible ?? Why the hell you would even go any where near the vehicle if you could smell it is beyond me especially for some one who looks like he's probably been in the game long enough to know the dangers of this stuff. If genuine he's extremely lucky to be alive. Wonder how insurance would be with that type of gear in the back ?? ......................
AnswerID: 481911

Reply By: desray (WA - Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 22:52

Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 22:52
Did he say " Oh what a feeling Toyota "
AnswerID: 481931

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 09:42

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 09:42
Carrying gass bottles in enclosed vehicles is a know high risk hazard, but people persist in doing it.

Yes acetlyene is a much more energetic gass than others, but the issue remains.

This is why neither BOC nor Air Liquide will allow any gass bottles to leave their yards in enclosed vehicles

NOW
The valves just got bumped....BULL bleep .....if the bottle was there alone with no regulator, either it was not properly secured and the valve shut off tight.

What is more likley is that the whole oxy set was fully assembled and not properly shut down..IE the valves on the bottles were not turned off and the hoses purged and the handpiece valves shut.

I'd lay a penny to a pound that bottle valves were wide open the handpiece valve got "bumped".

It comes down to doing a risky thing AND not being carefull doing it.

NOW..how many campersand 4wders carry LPG bottles inside their enclosed vehicles.

There was a bloke not long ago had his car catch fire in the main street of Ipswich, because of leaking LPG bottles...

This stuff happens folks.

cheers
AnswerID: 481952

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)