Ink Cartridge Replacement..

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 09:04
ThreadID: 92916 Views:2180 Replies:4 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Some time back I gave a heads up on the savings to be had by using eBay for ink
cartridges. A replacement set for my Canon MP610 costs about $80 from my local
computer store...same thing on eBay costs $15..delivered. At the time I could not vouch for quality of these cheapies, but have found they work fine & colours seem
no different. So if you like 80% savings & use a lot of ink, you may wish to check it
out.
Here's some tips for free....

Dont replace tank on first warning, wait til it wont print...& then...

...take it out & shake it, then replace it . It will
work again for a while.

cheers....oldbaz.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 10:11

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 10:11
Even better on ebay they sellcontinuous ink systems. For $120, the price one normally pays for just 1 set of genuine ink cartridges, you get the CIS plus 800 ml of ink, the equivelant of more than 70 refills. I've had mine for almost 4 years now & the ink has almost run out. That's with me printing 100's of A4 photo's off & the 3 kids doing all their school stuff. The quality of ink from the above supplier (no connection) is as good as original.
Our 4x4 club just bought a photo printer & CIS for doing the newsletter saving hundreds of dollars over commercial rates.
One other suggestion I do make is what ever supplier of ink you find to work well stick with them as many of the cheap inks I've tried on ebay are rubbish with terrible picture quality & ink jet blockages.
Cheers Craig...........
AnswerID: 481957

Follow Up By: garrycol - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 11:51

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 11:51
Only works on systems that are in constant use - not suitable for occasional use as the ink dries in the pipes.
FollowupID: 757252

Follow Up By: P and JM - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 17:30

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 17:30
Crackles,

Thanks for the information on the continuous ink systems, very interesting.
Do you agree with garrycol's followup that the ink dries out in the tubes if not used a lot ?

Cheers P&J
FollowupID: 757274

Follow Up By: Crackles - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 18:06

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 18:06
No not in my experience. While my printer is normally used every week, after 4 week holidays it's never blocked up in fact I've only twice had to do a nozzel clean in all that time. The club printer too only does monthly newsletters with no problems in the 4 issues it's done to date.
Our printers are an old Epson R390 & an Epson Artisan 725. There could be differences with other printer brands/models & of course other not so good CIS systems. The one I picked in Melbourne still has a 100% rating after 3+ years & found they sold the printers together as a package too.
Cheers Craig.........
FollowupID: 757281

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 18:22

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 18:22
I print a lot, however I also travel and may be away for two months or more. My CISS fires up and runs without hassle every time I return. The CISS systems without doubt are the way to go. I calculate that I have saved around 95% of my printing costs by using a CISS. That wasn't a misprint, 95%.
I have had only one small problem with a ciss in about 3-4 years use. Unless I was doing archive art quality prints (and sometimes I do) I wouldn't consider buying a printer that wouldn't take a ciss (not all of them do).
I also work at Uluru for a month each year and take my printer up there. It has never dried out and given the dryness of the air up there and the way the printer spends several days in the back of the vehicle on the way.....
Some printers take CISS better than others. Newer mid range Epsons have a system that makes attaching the ink lines very easy. If you do (and it has only happened to me once) get air in the lines, they are easy to prome with a syringe that usually comes with a good CISS system. Generally, you can also leave the printer on and many have an auto system to keep the heads clean.
Topping up a CISS is much easier than trying to refill cartridges. You don't have to do it very often because they use big ink reservoirs.
I don't want to be accused of advertising etc, but there is one shop in Adelaide that is particularly good at advising/setting up CISS systems. They specialize in a system where the bulk ink bottles and ink lines come attached to heads. ie, you don't have to fiddle around trying to attach the lines to existing heads in the printer. This can be a pain. You just take out the manufacturers heads and the whole thing clips into place.
I have no connection with them apart from being a happy customer. If anyone is interested, email me and I'll give you their contact details. I hope this is allowable??
FollowupID: 757283

Follow Up By: P and JM - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 19:07

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 19:07
Crackles and Mfewster,

Thanks for the reply's. Although I don't use my Canon Printer a lot I want to do this with mine. Crackles how can I contact you to find out who you get yours from or can you give me a tip on where to find on the net ?

Mfewster please check your email that is on this site as sending an email to you.

Thanks for the help above. cheers P&J
FollowupID: 757286

Follow Up By: Crackles - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 21:18

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 21:18
I included the link to Everest Ink on ebay in the original reply. "continuous ink systems". There is a phone number there if you need any further info not on the ebay page. These CIS units are only available for select printers.
Cheers Craig............
FollowupID: 757299

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 01:49

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 01:49
I think garrycol's warning is correct about only using the drip feed system if you are a fairly high user of your printer. It must be correct if one of the sellers warned me off purchasing the kit as I am not a high volume user. (I'm not sure about the ink drying in the tubes as being quite accurate but there are problems with low usage situations.)

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 757318

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 07:38

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 07:38
Nomadic N. The biggest potential problem is ink drying on the head rather than in the lines. It is the heads where the very fine nozzles are (much, much finer than the tubes). This is the same issue for all inkjets, whether using makers cartridges, refilling cartridges or a CIS. The heads may be separate or sometimes they are built into the cartridges. You would have to use the printer very rarely for this to be a problem and if you used it that rarely an inkjet of any kind probably isn't the printer technology you need. I have used inkjets in Alice Springs (very hot and dry) and now in Adelaide. Generally I use it a lot but there are regular gaps of about two - three months and these have never been a problem. Bubbles in the tubes are more of an issue. This used to happen on early systems where the original makers cartridges had to be adapted to be connected to the lines, then primed to get the air bubbles out. Good CIS now come with their own head/cartridges already attached to the neds of the tubes. As long as you watch the ink levels in the reservoirs so they doin't become empty, you should never get bubbles in the tubes now.
FollowupID: 757324

Reply By: itsdave - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 10:45

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 10:45
Hi

I've been buying them on Ebay for the past 2 years for a Canon IP 4700 which takes 5 cartridges. Cost $12 delivered for the set or $18 for the 5 black. Never had a problem so far ( touch wood) with them. Very good quality.

Cheers Dave
AnswerID: 481959

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 10:52

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 10:52
Link please Dave.
FollowupID: 757248

Follow Up By: itsdave - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 11:27

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 11:27
Sorry cant help with the link as I've used several suppliers. just search for the cartridge no and look for the best price including delivery. You can buy single or multy packs if you wish. Also check on the suppliers feedback rating as to whether they are worth dealing with.

Cheers Dave
FollowupID: 757251

Follow Up By: garrycol - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 11:53

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 11:53
I do not buy new cartridges, cheap or not - I refill mine, much cheaper again.
FollowupID: 757254

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 21:57

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 21:57
Some printers are finicky about cheap or refilled cartridges. We have decided genuine only is cheaper than a new printer. Younger daughter was going well with cheapies for a while, but one lot from eBay recently and bye-bye printer.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 482007

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 22:46

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 22:46
Oh dear, don't say that Motherhen, I've just ordered some online :) :)
By all accounts they are Canon brand so here's hoping. We figured it's not much to lose if they aren't the real deal....
Cheers
Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 757306

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 22:53

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 22:53
Hi Deanna

Then they should be fine. We purchase on line and shop for the best deal each time for genuine ones for our Epsons (made in China). Copy ones would be a fraction of the price but not worth the risk. Years ago, we used to refill or get Canon cartridges refilled commercially and those older printers didn't mind, but a new generation of Canons did object - a costly lesson as printers were no so cheap as they are now.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 757307

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 23:04

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 23:04
I know what you mean. The cartridges I ordered tonight are coming from the UK, I'm not really a fan of buying from OS, (like to keep the money within our shores) will be interesting to see how it goes.
Certainly a massive saving, we do quite a bit of printing too.
Cheers
Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 757310

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 11:22

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 11:22
Didn't know "Ink Cartridge Replacement" had so much to do with traveling, 4x4ing, camping and caravaning.

Strange how some topics get through and others more RELEVANT get booted..... funny world!
AnswerID: 482060

Sponsored Links