Comment: The ANZAC Legacy

Thank you for this article about ANZAC and the Australian contribution to world peace and freedom.
I am a baby boomer who never had to enlist or be conscripted for war because of the sacrifice of war service by my father, 2 grandfathers, father in-law and uncles.
My father joined the AIF in 1940 and served in the Middle East, New Guinea and Borneo. He was discharged after VJ day in 1945. He became an Anglican minister after WW2 and served as an Army Chaplain for many years. He was highly valued as a Chaplain, I was told "because he knew first hand what it was like to be shot at."
Those family members I mentioned above were not "heroes" and would have rejected outright any suggestion of glory or honour. They were ordinary diggers. They often said "there were no atheists in the trenches when they were getting shot at!"
ANZAC Day meant tears, sadness and horrible memories. Without exception they did not cope well and had trouble sleeping in the days following 25th April year in year out.
Please don't for get Australians currently serving in various over seas trouble spots. Pray they all return safely and quickly.
Thank you and I hope we never forget, war becomes history and peace and love reigns supreme.
Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: D200Dug- Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 22:45

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 22:45
Lest we forget

Both my Grandfathers and my great uncles all served on Galipolli, my great uncle Will died from wounds, he was shot by a sniper 2 days after the battle of Lone Pine when he was sighting a machine gun emplacement.

Our family was lucky he was the only person we lost of many who served.

The rest saw active service on the western front. One grandfather and one great uncle signed up again for WW2 as well as their sons my father and my uncles.

Again we were lucky they saw active service several were wounded but all survived and returned home.

I served 7 years in the RAAF and did 3 operations overseas in my time.

My wife was an Army Lieutenant Nursing sister my son was an Army signaler.

I have only ever marched in one Anzac day and vowed never again.

I show my respects by working to get a fair deal for veterans from the Government and DVA the department charged with caring for veterans.

If you wave a flag or go to a march on the 25th consider also taking the time to send an email to your local federal minister asking that pensions for disabled veterans be increased back to their pervious levels as successive governments from both sides have let the value of these pensions slip relative to the cost of living.

I personally thing service pensions especially for wounded or injured veterans should be linked to the pensions our politicians have arranged for themselves.

They claim they deserve pensions because of their service ot our country but they say we do not have enough money to increase the payments to those who risk their lives defending our freedoms and democratic way of life.

Lest we forget
AnswerID: 482014

Sponsored Links