Access along the Trans Australian Railway between Koolyanobbing & Wallaroo

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 11:45
ThreadID: 92938 Views:3181 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. I'm planning a trip and one leg would be travelling from Koolyanobbing (WA) to Jaurdi then onto Wallaroo Rock along the Trans Australian Railway in about 6 weeks time. Does anyone know what condition the road is in? My map also says it is a rail access track with restricted access. I have done some reading on the internet and there are parts along the Trans Australian Railway where you can access and other parts are closed with heavy fines for trespassers. With regards to the section I have referred to do, does any one know if access is permitted?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 14:11

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 14:11
Permits/ scroll down to mine roads and railways
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 482074

Reply By: equinox - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 16:05

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 16:05
Good Question Nobby - and one to which I do not think you will get the answer here.

The information on this site that Fred has referred to cannot be taken as official information. I think from memory that it is information obtained via a telephone call between the owners of this site and a representative of ARTC. It is in effect, information that ARTC wants people to take as law, and not what actually is law - if it was law they would have provided citations to the relevant acts and regulations. The fact that ARTC does not, and does not on their official website tells me that there is some doubt as to whether ARTC can restrict access to the road or track adjacent to the line. Recently I have driven areas that the article on Exploroz says you may not drive on in respect to the Transline and can confirm that there are no signs indicating that access is prohibited. Once again if ARTC did have the power to restrict access then surely some funds could be made for adequate signage.

The ARTC only looks after line east of Kalgoorlie anyway so is not exactly relevant to your questions. Their website is HERE

Brookfield Rail look after the line west of Kalgoorlie which is pertinent to your question. I can find no information on their website and have browsed through the Railways (Access) Code 2000 and Railways (Access) Act 1998 using key words such as public, 4wd and road, and cannot find any information that could hinder you in your desire to travel adjacent to the track.

Brookfield Rail website is HERE

I hope this information helps a little way for you, I know it doesn't give you the answer you want.


Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.
"Outback Yonder"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 482089

Follow Up By: P and JM - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 00:12

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 00:12
The simple and honest answer is NO ! These access roads are put there by the Rail Companies for there access to Signal, Bridge, Broken rail, Buckled rail, Derailments, etc. They are not public access roads and you can be reported by locomotive crews and other rail employees for trespass.

I have reported people for doing so and there is nothing worse than stopping your train, loosing time because somebody is where they should not be.

They don't build public access roads for trains do they ?

FollowupID: 757527

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 02:27

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 02:27
from dim and dark memories the sighns saying no access do quote some regulation

I believe the access to walleroo rock to bulla bulling was changed for this reason as access to it from the highway was only available by travelling for a distance along the railway road. and it is now from Woolgangie.

Pretty sure if i looked hard enough i could find the mud map they used to give out at the BB pub for access to Waleroo

In about 97 I tavelled from just out of kalgoorlie to Walleroo rock along that road in a 2wd campervan
FollowupID: 757528

Reply By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 17:38

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 17:38

In 2008 I became temporarily misplaced and travelled along the railway access road from the Mt Walton Road to Jaurdi.

There were definitely signs saying "Private Road No Access" at that time.
AnswerID: 482097

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 18:57

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 18:57
Yes there is but I may or may not have travelled it several times
FollowupID: 757380

Reply By: Rod W - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 08:39

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 08:39
In answer to your question on the condition. My experience with it is that is in good condition. Given that its a service road and is needed for rail emergencies it will always be maintained in good condition.
AnswerID: 482140

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 14:59

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 14:59
Keep your eye out for the spots where culverts go underneath. You can get lulled into faster speeds due to how good it is then get airborne through the creek crossings
FollowupID: 757434

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 21:35

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 21:35
Was on it a month ago & it's a good all weather gravel road. I've been driving on these tracks for years, past track gangs & trains, rail track maintenance vehicles etc etc & never been stopped. Mind you, never done anything particularly silly like speeding etc. Never even heard od ppl getting pinged so I think you'd be pretty safe.

Paul B Kalgoorlie

Do your best, have fun & s/he with the most friends wins!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 757586

Follow Up By: Nobby - Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 14:45

Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 14:45
To all who have responded, thank you very much for you input. I have also made contact with DEC to understand what their position is on what roads are legal to access Wallaroo Rock. I will post their response.
FollowupID: 757665

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)