Can I put a MRF Super Traction tyre on a tubeless rim?

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 18:56
ThreadID: 92949 Views:5262 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Can I put a MRF Super Traction tyre (12 ply) on a tubeless rim?

I assume the same answer will apply to a MRF Steel Muscle - L which is also on my list.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 19:13

Sunday, Apr 01, 2012 at 19:13
Yes I've seen them on but you may find it makes repairs very difficult in the field
AnswerID: 482112

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 07:44

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 07:44
The walls are extremely stiff making it very hard to get them on and off the rim on the side of the road, might be better fitting them to splits.
They may also be a tube only tyre?
FollowupID: 757409

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 09:01

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 09:01
Gday Tim,
We may have met before - on the Hay River in 2005 - you were driving a petrol 79series??
I share the same thoughts as above, but they look like a pretty poor sand tyre to me - very stiff sidewall, don't air down easily. There was a bit of banter in the past about footprint length. Peter above, might chip in with how they performed in sand in the WA deserts but I don't have any first hand experience.
Thread from 2007.
Thread from 2008

Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 482291

Follow Up By: Tim Owen - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 15:20

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 15:20
Thanks Phil for those comments and references. I am not the Tim you are thinking of - although I used to own a 75 series, but now a 130 Defender. I don't think there is another one like it, so you'll know if you run into me.

I don't have split rims and want to run tubeless and be able to use plugs. Like most, I do spend most time on the bitumen and gravel - so on road handling is important - everything else is a compromise of some sort.

The advice from Beadell tours (http://www.beadelltours.com.au/mrf.html) is that these tyres are only suitable for split rims and only with tubes - but I cannot confirm that from any of the MRF marketing gumph (http://www.mrf-exports.com/pdf/lighttrucks.pdf).

My local tyre retailer contacted the MRF export contact in Australia (see http://www.mrf-exports.com/contact.asp) who advised the Steel Muscle - L hasn't been available for about 2 years and he wasn't confident it would ever be available again. He recommended the Super Traction @ $242 a tyre (7.50R16).

Tyre Traders recommended the Haulmax ATT304 as an alternative (http://www.tyretraders.com.au/working%20files/HAULMAX%20ATT304.pdf) but I can't tell whether this is a bias ply construction or all steel radial. I'm also not sure this tyre can be run tubeless. I was quoted $285 a tyre.

The BCT JB43 (http://www.etyrestore.com.au/store_listing.php?tyre_id=84) looks like a well priced alternative, is confirmed as tubeless as per the photos in the link, I'm not clear on the construction type, and it has a much more closed treat pattern. These sell at $159 a tyre - but I haven't identified a local supplier.

There must be other all steel radial options in 7.50R16? Any further advice appreciated.

FollowupID: 757613

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 08:27

Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 08:27
Gday Tim, sorry about the mistaken identity!
The MRF is not the tyre for you.

They are an extremely tough tyre that is made for off-track driving where sidewall stakes are common. The advice from Beadell Tours is only for this sort of use. Everything has a downside, and in this case, the downsides of the MRF are:
#1 they have no grip on wet bitumen - pretty dangerous in fact.
#2 Thick sidewalls build up heat and when tyres get hot they wear out a lot faster - you'd be lucky to get half the mileage you'd get out of tubeless radials.
#3 If you were to fit tubes to them on tubeless rims, you'd have to dismantle them every time you get a puncture or more comonly when you get a split or fatigue in the tubes. As the others have stated, chnaging them out bush with tyre irons would be pretty hard.
#4 they are really noisy

So on your vehicle, I'd suggest you stop looking at 750R16 because all tyres in that size are tube type, and made for split rims.

If you want a tubeless tyre that has an extra strong sidewall that is suitable for off-track driving,and in the 235/85R16 size and 10ply rating then I'd suggest the following:

#1 Bridgestone 661 - these are used by Govt and Mining vehicles in outback SA
#2 Bridgestone D694LT - a quieter and better road/gravel tyre with good chip resistance
#3 Federal Couragia A/T - these have a genuine 3-ply sidewall and are the best value for money ($225 each last year)
#4 Goodyear MTR - more aggressive tread pattern and more offroad orientated and quite expensive

There are other good tyres of course, but the above is based on what I've seen and used in real life. Do not accept and of the advertising you see in magazines - many tyres do not live up to the advertising hype.
FollowupID: 757641

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 10:47

Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 10:47
Im currently trailing the Maxxis 751 AT with 3 ply sidewall.
the price of replacement MTRs was just rediculous. the tyre guy was embarresed to say the price even

first thing i notice is the sidewalls stand up alot straighter than the MTRs - not so good for mud but hopfully less exposed to stakes
FollowupID: 757647

Follow Up By: Tim Owen - Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 21:48

Friday, Apr 20, 2012 at 21:48
The Federal AT is $253 in the book (which btw incorrectly shows them as 8 ply) but local retailer doing them for $210 each. I think I'll give them a go. Thanks Phil.
FollowupID: 758971

Sponsored Links