performance chips

ive been looking to put a performance chip on my 08 3.0lt turbo diesel holden colorado but unsure which chip is the go wondering if anyone has put one on and how they go?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 20:58

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 20:58
Nick there are at least three different types, fuel rail, fuel pulse and tuning model to choose from. The ostensibly work by dumping more fuel into the motor at time of need. The down side is production of more heat and exhaust gasses putting stress and strains on the motor in certain situations (and slagged pistons if you are not careful). This is particularly true of the simple plug and play fuel pulse models. You should also consider fitting a 3" exhaust system and an EGT gauge to assist in the operation of the chip.

I've done a write-up on the gains in my Ute build blog. The last few paragraphs in the entry cover it. 4X4 Action mag also did a comparo between the chips some time back. It was a good article I thought. They recommended the Steinbauer slightly over the Rapid chip as I recall.

Building the dream off-roader

Hope this helps.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 482267

Reply By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 07:57

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 07:57
Old mate has just chipped his rodeo & doesn't think much of a change in power ...
but as mentioned lots of difference types .... but I was told you need to do a exhaust up grade to make a big difference ?
I guess it comes down to what you are trying to get / do !!!!

Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 482282

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 11:56

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 11:56
Yes what goes in must come out and chip and exhaust is the best option. Some people report great gains with exhaust. With the Steinbauer for example you can play with the dip switch settings and Dyno test to see what combo is best.
FollowupID: 757541

Reply By: Member - Steve O (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 13:14

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 13:14
Gidday Nick c6, you should check these guys out:
www.supercarperformance.com.au
these guys do performance modules etc for all sorts of 4wd,s I had a package fitted to my o8 prado d4d yesterday, my mate is having a system fitted to his new Dmax in a couple of weeks, one of the guys there has just bought a colorado
these guys know what they are on about.
suggest you have a good look over their website & have a chat with them
I am not affiliated with this company in any way, shape or form, I just did my homework & decided to put my money where my mouth is!
I drove the prado (300+ k's )home last night and the increase in performance is quite noticeable, the system I purchased has 4 different driver selectable settings,
, towing light loads, towing heavy loads & outright performance.
I came home on the setting and even at that, the difference was very....anyhow check it out if your interested, hope this helps..it does get confusing with all the different stuff out there
P.S. i already had a Rapid chip on the car which was o.k. but had them pull it off to fit their system..if you read their website you'll gather why I did it !
hope this is of some help...cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 482313

Follow Up By: Member - Steve O (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 13:16

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 13:16
sorry nick..somehow I missed the other setting which is economy, this is the setting on which I drove home.
FollowupID: 757550

Follow Up By: Member - Steve O (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 18:18

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 18:18
I have just toped off my fuel tank and done the caculation,on my 300+k run home from having the module fitted & running on the economy setting I have improved my fuel ecomomy by 3ltrs/100km , this was done sitting on the 100km & 110km speed limits .....the engine is running a lot quieter( no rattles)& performing much better.
am i impressed & happy I spent the money?...YES!!
FollowupID: 757621

Reply By: jrzoo - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 21:29

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 21:29
Hi Nick.

I have a 07 Rodeo twincab CRD. I have it chipped and 2.75 pipe.

I did the pipe first (Beaudesert - maybe all manufacturers are good - their's is). Made a great difference - I mean a great difference. Later put on a Tunit chip - I'm a mug - didn't even know there was different sorts of chips (imagine that??) - anyway didn't really notice the difference with the chip. I put on 245/75's at about the same time and maybe that disguised the improvement.

Anyway - try the exhaust first and you may feel that you don't need a chip - mine flies (and did with just the exhaust).

cheers
AnswerID: 482345

Reply By: GimmeeIsolation - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 11:58

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 11:58
Done over 100k kms using the DP Chip. No problems whatsoever with it. Noticeable difference overtaking, no "run-up" required, just pull out and go for it, even when idiots accelerate trying to stop you passing them (whats that about ?, usually silly old men sitting 20-30 below the limit).
Can adjust the chip easily for more or less power on a scale from 0-10, it ships set at 5, I run mine at 7.
Reduces greatly the take-off lag somehow, at least on my vehicle.
Very easy to fit, you do not need to pay somebody to do it, takes about two minutes.
DP warrant the chip against any damage to your vehicle.
No I do not have anything to do with DP or receive anything from them.
I would buy another for my next diesel.
AnswerID: 482369

Sponsored Links