VMS 700HD Memory Card

Hi all,

I recently bought the VMS unit from the exploroz shop. I am using the VMS street navigation, along with OziExplorer CE for off-road mapping -- in this way I can use the ozi maps that I have bought. I made a copy of the contents of the 16 GB memory card that came with the unit on my laptop hard disk for backup purposes.

I have a number of 100K, 50K and 25K topo maps for WA, along with the HEMA 4x4 maps. I wanted to load these on the memory card, but it does not have space for all the maps. I now only load the maps for the general area where I plan to be on the card.

I bought a new 32GB memory card (type 4, as specified for the unit), and copied the backup files onto this card, along with all my maps.

OziExplorer runs without a problem, as does the VMS off-road app. However, when I selec the street navigation, it starts to run the initialisation and then stops and returns to the main menu. If I put the original card in, everything works. I have compared the directories, and can not see any missing files.

Does anybody know why this is happening? Is there some licensing limitation / restriction? Unfortunately I do not have another 16GB memory card to make a copy on that and see if it works...

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Christelle

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 07:58

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 07:58
Hi Christelle

I hate that. I tried everything to make a backup card for myself and no matter what I did including change the inbuilt id of the card I could not get it to work. They were just too smart I think to do it that way. A backup card was back then around $300. What a rip off. Luckily I don't need the street navigation so I am able to have a couple of SD cards to use. I also get all my maps on 8Gb. I haven't gone as deep as you but we have found that 8Gb is enough.

I will keep an eye on this hoping that we find out how to make a copy for when the card goes belly up.

Phil
AnswerID: 482283

Reply By: Spider - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 08:33

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 08:33
Hi Christelle,

I have come across this very situation. Unfortunately there is no way to load the street navigation from another SD card. Upon first activation, it uses the built in serial number of the SD card for licensing purposes. This number can't be cloned onto another card.
So you right to take a backup of the card, but street navigation will have to run from your original card only.

Ozi, Memory Map etc as you have mentioned can be copied to other cards.
VMS were quite unsympathetic when I explained the hindrance that having too-small a card creates.
Regards
Chris
AnswerID: 482290

Reply By: Member - ChristelleJvR - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 09:22

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 09:22
Thanks for the prompt replies. I am glad that I'm not the only one that can't get this to work, but really hoped that there would be a simple solution.

I have emailed VMS support, and will post back if / when I get a reply.

I could swop cards for street navigation / topo maps, but those little cards are so small, I'm not sure how long before one of them goes missing... And with my luck it will be the original one that disappears...

Regards,
Christelle
AnswerID: 482294

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 17:37

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 17:37
The swapping could indeed damage them. And they couldn't give a rats. They just repeated that I could then buy a new one from them. Built in redundancy or designed obsolescence in my mind.

Since then I still use Ozi but I have never and never will, recommend them to anyone else. And I hope they read this. There must be some way of getting a replacement for MY OWN use. Maybe send the stuffed one back but they were not interested in that either!!!!

The shame of it all is that Ozi is excellent.

Phil
FollowupID: 757557

Reply By: Michael A10 - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 20:21

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 20:21
Hi Christelle,

try this link, just did a quick wed search

http://www.ehow.com/how_5894885_sd-card-id.html.

Hope this will help,

Regards Michael

AnswerID: 482334

Follow Up By: Member - ChristelleJvR - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 00:23

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 00:23
Hi Michael,

I tried the link - the instructions are for Windows XP (I'm using Windows 7), but that gave me the inspiration to search further. I changed the volume id of the 32 GB card to the same value as the original card --- but no luck.

I received the following reply from VMS Technical Support:

------------
Thank you for your inquiry.

In relation to increasing the capacity of your SD card to 32GB, this is no problem with any navigation applications excluding Street Navigation. For copyright reasons, street navigation is locked to the original card and cannot be transferred.

The largest capacity card that we licence is a 16GB card only and unfortunately at this stage, dont offer higher capacity.
------------

So basically, I'm stuck with swapping cards until OziExplorer becomes available on the iPad, by which time I will retire the VMS.

If I new that I would be limited to the original card, I would probably not have bought the unit....

Christelle
FollowupID: 757592

Reply By: Michael A10 - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 20:40

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2012 at 20:40
Hi,

try this link, just did a quick web search

http://www.ehow.com/how_5894885_sd-card-id.html

Michael

AnswerID: 482340

Reply By: Michael A10 - Saturday, Apr 07, 2012 at 15:55

Saturday, Apr 07, 2012 at 15:55
Hi Christelle,

Feel across this free software when looking for something else have not tried it.

It allows you to work with the partions on any type of drive.

Hope this helps all and sundary.

Regards

Michael

Site Link
AnswerID: 482472

Reply By: Member - Hillel K (VIC) - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 16:01

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 16:01
Hi Sneakstoffel
Iam interested in the 7"VMS unit and was wondering how you find the screen insunlight in the vehicle?Can you adjust the screen brightness?
Thanks
Hillel
AnswerID: 483285

Follow Up By: Member - SneakStoffel - Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 07:46

Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 at 07:46
Hi Hillel,

The VMS screen is surprisingly clear and readable in our car (LC200), even in bright sunlight on the beach. The way I have it installed means that the screen is at an angle so it faces me directly.

Once you take the unit out of the car, you can not see much in the sunlight.

I am considering buying one of the generic 7" screen shades from ebay, but have not really needed it.

You can adjust the brightness -- it has four backlight brightness settings. I normally keep it on 3/4 (where 4 is the brightest) and take it down to 1/4 when driving at night.

Hope that helps,
Christelle
FollowupID: 758589

Sponsored Links