Can anyone recommend a motel/hotel in Cloncurry qld

G'day everyone

I've got our travel plans from Campbelltown nsw to Normanton qld completed except for accommodation at Cloncurry.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable place to stay.

I've been on the net and know there are a few places to stay, but their is very little info on them other than the very expensive one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bruce M - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 09:05

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 09:05
Boo Boo

We have stayed at the Gidgee Inn (tel 07 4742 1599, email info@gidgeeinn.com.au) a couple of times. It is on the highway, and convenient and comfortable. It charges around $150 for an Executive room with King bed.

My only reservation about this establishment is that, on the first occasion we stayed in August 2009, they increased the room rate by $5 between when they accepted my reservation and when we arrived, but did not advise me or invite me to accept or go elsewhere. I won the resulting argument, but they conceded only with a very bad grace.

Our second stay was a year later, and was fine.

Bruce M
AnswerID: 482361

Reply By: Geoff H (Q - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 09:06

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 09:06
Hi guys,

If you're travelling along the Landsborough Highway I can recommend the Walkabout Creek Hotel at McKinlay, a short distance before Cloncurry but with pleasant surroundings. We had a great feed and plenty of fun. The accomodation was basic but comfortable, or you can roll out the swag in the hotel yard.
Regards
Geoff
AnswerID: 482362

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 09:42

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 09:42
G'day Ross

Thanks for the info, but we prefer to stay at motels a little less upmarket.

We generally find most motels around the $100 mark, or a little less are really good.

Unfortunately its hard to find any info on some places in the country.

FollowupID: 757607

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 09:44

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 09:44
G'day Geoff

Do you know if the Walkabout has rooms with esuites?

I have tried to contact them but they are not answering their 'phone.

FollowupID: 757608

Reply By: Rockape - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 11:47

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 11:47
Boo,
The Gidgee or the Leichhardt Hotel Motel are both good.

I see someone has recommended the Walkabout creek pub which is about 110k from the Curry.

I pass it sometmes and won't even buy a beer their. Personal view.

RA.
AnswerID: 482368

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 15:55

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 15:55
G'day RA

Well I finally booked the Gidgee.

It seems there is something on in town on the 28th. The Leichhardt was booked out and the Gidgee now has only two rooms left.

The Gidgee said they are normally booked out a 2 weeks in advance now its a month.

FollowupID: 757615

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 14:24

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 14:24
Boo Boo,

As well as the Leichardt Hotel, there is Central Hotel, with choice of budget & dearer accom. Also the Oasis Hotel, with cheap rooms(but pub always seems a bit of a bloodhouse to me, though have stayed there a few times with no dramas).

Further down Ramsay St, is the Wagon Wheel. The In-Laws stayed there once, on recommendation from RACQ. Think it was alright.

The Central butts onto the truck by-pass too, so don't know how noisy it would be. They are usually going slow, so mightn't be a worry.

Both the Oasis & Central are close to the BP road house too.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 482375

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 15:57

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 15:57
Thanks for the info Bob, but I bit the bullet and booked the Gidgee when I found out one motel was already booked out then the Gidgee only had a few left.

FollowupID: 757616

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 11:32

Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 11:32
No worries, Boo.

The 'Curry is suffering(???) from the mining boom too, with lots going on.

Gidgee Inn is made with rammed earth walls, and well appointed rooms. Have stayed there a number of times, mainly for work. Had a good rib fillet there once, washed down with a couple of stubbies.

Enjoy your stay, and have a safe trip,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 757652

Reply By: jrzoo - Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 15:13

Thursday, Apr 05, 2012 at 15:13
Hi

Always stay at the Post Office Hotel. Never a problem with motel like accomadation.

Their resturant is ok too IMHO. And good value price if I recall. If my wife was with me I may drink in the resturant part too.

cheers
AnswerID: 482379

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 20:21

Friday, Apr 06, 2012 at 20:21
Boo Boo,
Quick note - I linked you thread to the places system this is a new function I have just installed to the new updated places show page. It shows the accom in the area so when you get the answers would you be able to plese update the associated places and this will make the information available to everyone.

I would also ask others to consider adding the information to the associated places so that we can make good use of this resource. We are putting significant effort into a rewrite and are working on getting the information to you in the best fashion.

Enjoy
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 482452

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 07, 2012 at 18:01

Saturday, Apr 07, 2012 at 18:01
David

We will be getting there late in the afternoon and leaving early, but any info I get that could be useful I will add to 'places'.

FollowupID: 757730

Sponsored Links