Terrano II overheating

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 01, 2004 at 19:37
ThreadID: 9433 Views:3924 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys,
Just back from a trip to the Bunya Mountains. The Diesel Terrano 97 was loaded to the hills and performed well (temp gauge 1/2 way) until we climbed up the ranges. Usually in the bush, the gauge goes just above half but no further. This time the think just got hotter and hotter (past 3/4 mark). Thank God we got to the top with a slight descend where the engine cooled to 1/4 within 2 minutes.
This kind of temp variation is too great in my books and I was hoping somebody had some advise on what to do. The radiator is brand new (2 month) and the viscous fan seems to grab ok. Also, since the thing runs ok on the road, I assumed the thermostat is ok too.
Any suggestions welcome and perhaps someone knows a decent mechanic in the Brisbane metropolitan that could do some work on this type of car.
Cheers Pepper
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Russell [Pajero] - Thursday, Jan 01, 2004 at 19:51

Thursday, Jan 01, 2004 at 19:51
My Terrano I 1990 TD2.7 did exactly the same and alway cooled down fairly quickly even though my worry meter temperature remained high. I've noted amongt the various post this type of behaviour is "normal" and others blame it on the Japanese Grey Import cooling systems designed for Japan not Australia.

I know it doesn't help but it appears to be normal for the TD2.7 motor.

Russell
AnswerID: 41489

Reply By: Russell [Pajero] - Thursday, Jan 01, 2004 at 19:53

Thursday, Jan 01, 2004 at 19:53
My Terrano I 1990 TD2.7 did exactly the same and alway cooled down fairly quickly even though my worry meter temperature remained high. I've noted amongt the various post this type of behaviour is "normal" and others blame it on the Japanese Grey Import cooling systems designed for Japan not Australia.

I know it doesn't help but it appears to be normal for the TD2.7 motor.

Russell
AnswerID: 41490

Reply By: ross - Thursday, Jan 01, 2004 at 23:19

Thursday, Jan 01, 2004 at 23:19
The problem of relying on the dash gauge is that it doesnt really tell you how hot.
Installing a quality temp gauge that tells you the temperature will give you some reference points.Good investment.
AnswerID: 41508

Reply By: CHRIS - Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 07:51

Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 07:51
Pepper
If you talk to any radiator mob they will tell you that there is only a few degrees of differance between halfway on the gauge and getting into the red. I have a Landcruiser which is turbo'd and the temp always shot up to the red on long hills. I eventually found the problem after spending heaps. It was the oil cooler sitting on the front of the radiator. (manual transmission). Took it off, as I was told that the 2H has channels inside the block to cool the oil. No more problems. As I have a water cooled Turbo I Have relocated the cooler to inline before the Turbo for additional cooling. It sits inside the P/S guard and gets cooling from the wheels and the viscous fan when it cuts in.
AnswerID: 41516

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 11:00

Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 11:00
If only we faced up the risks of relying solely on water temperature gauges .... we would all fit oil temperature gauges!
AnswerID: 41531

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 12:07

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 12:07
Pepper
My Terrano went right up into the "red" at one stage up in the Vic high country (long, slow, steep climb on a 40 deg. day). My new improved radiator didn't seem to make enough difference but it didn't seem to cause any permanent damage.
My alternator seems to be failing now !!!!!!!
Hope you had a great time at the Bunya's. Got some pics???
Victoria was fantastic and well worth the visit.
Tell you about it next week.
We're home on Friday 17th(?).
oskarThe real oskar
AnswerID: 42919

Sponsored Links