SECURITY FOR FRIDGE

Submitted: Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 13:01
ThreadID: 9447 Views:2267 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Dear All,
At a time that we seem to have more and more trouble securing our possessions I have decided to make an effort to secure my fridge in the back of my Patrol.
I have a 39 litre Engel on a set of Outback Drawers. Tying down with ratchet straps is fine to safely locate in the vehicle but if someone wants to steal after breaking a window I think a 1/2" chain and padlock might be more effective! Any ideas about an effective method for securing. The main problem seems to be the fact that you will usually want to access the contents of your fridge without undoing padlocks and chains etc! Any constructive ideas?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bazza - Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 13:21

Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 13:21
G'Day Slim,
A twelve gauge and a bit of patience ... that might slow the problem down a bit!

But seriously .......... I use a stainless steel, locking security cable for a laptop PC docking station. This is about a 4mm or so thick, comes in a diferent lenghts, plactic coated, with a locking end. I find this usefull as I can loop it through the handle of the fridge and any secure fixing. I also used a drop of liquid nails in the allen heads on the handles. The cable's hard to cut with bolt cutters as it turns sideways in the jaws. As they say .... "it will stop the amateurs, not the pro's".
Regards,
Bazza.
AnswerID: 41551

Reply By: Member - JohnR - Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 13:38

Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 13:38
Hi Slim, have you thought about the screws underneath where the feet screw on. I just drilled my mounting slide and reused the screws and need to have the screw driver or spanner to undo it. Laptop cable can do it too if you think the screw won't be an obstruction to removal.Regards

JohnR - Not enough of the right travelling, some here..... some over there.......
AnswerID: 41553

Reply By: Nav 80 - Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 14:34

Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 14:34
Gday Slim,,Haveing just had my 12 mth old 40ltr stolen I have made some inquiries as to the best way to lock a fridge up. My local camping shop showed me what I think they call a lock alarm. It consists of a locking device with a PVC coated steel cable 2.4Mtr long and a 120 decibel alarm run from a 9 volt battery. The alarm goes off if someone cuts the cable or interferes with the lock and is priced around $100.00. The cable is about 4mm so I am going to punch a couple of holes in the bag and either feed the cable through the vents or drill a couple of holes in the motor end of the case to put it through. Also can feed the cable through the handles as well, the handles are not realy secure as only need to undo two screws and its off although if the screw heads are blocked it would help,but they could be still undone with a pair of pliers. Any thief who gets my next fridge will have a battle on his hands or if I could catch him he would spend the rest of his life in a wheel chair.
AnswerID: 41556

Reply By: Mark from Getaway Portable Refrigerator Hire - Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 15:19

Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 15:19
Hello Slim, I have used the cable that they use on boats (about 50 mm thick and many strands) I then loop this through the cargo barrier and use two of the U bolt things that are used to secure the cable together. Do the same at the other end and have that end padlocked to the fridge( It is a Trailblaza and has the handles riveted to the body). The thief needs to have a spanner and a fair amount of time to undo the U bolts. I should probably put a drop of lock tight on the nuts as well. The cable is long enough to let the fridge move back and forward on the fridge slide.I also have the solar screen installed on the two rear side windows and back window, so no one can see what is in there. Apart from putting a big dog in there as well, probably no more than I can do.....

Regards

Mark Getaway Portable Refrigerator Hire
AnswerID: 41562

Follow Up By: Mark from Getaway Portable Refrigerator Hire - Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 15:22

Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 15:22
oops.... that should be 5mm thick not 50....Getaway Portable Refrigerator Hire
FollowupID: 304068

Reply By: KIM - Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 15:28

Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 15:28
Hi Slim,
I have a 40L fridge which is held down by four galvanised fastners (can't remember the trade name for them). I run a chain between each set with a lock. If the fastner(s) can't be turned, it would be difficult to move the frig.
Hope this helps
Kim
AnswerID: 41565

Reply By: Member - Slim - Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 19:33

Friday, Jan 02, 2004 at 19:33
Commiserations Nav80, I'm trying my best to avoid what you and others have suffered. Thanks to all for your input. I think we eventually come to the conclusion that you can never stop it but if you can make it harder you may discourage or even catch someone in the act and forcefully point out the error of their ways!
I'll probably go with the 1/2" chain and padlock. Thanks again!

Regards,

Slim.
AnswerID: 41581

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 16:22

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 16:22
if you are attaching a chain to anything that can be unscrewed ie ;fridge handles ,try putting a bit of putty or similar in the screw slots and finish off with a dab of silver paint , it will look like a rivet or pin head to the thief that cant be undone ,but if you have to remove it later you can just pick the putty outTelfer mines rd camp
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 41655

Sponsored Links