80 LC 1HD-FT Noise @2000 rpm

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 07:29
ThreadID: 9465 Views:7270 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys
Noticed there's a rattle when climbing hills or under load when engine reaches about 2000 rpm. Seems to come from the left side of the engine: I Suspect the injector pump but can't be certain. Unable to track it properly as it has to be under load.
Would apperciate some advice from you guys. Regards.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AndrewX - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 08:37

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 08:37
I chased a rattle in Dashboard of new TD Prado. Only at 1500-2000 under load. Dealer found it - e tag! Red faces time!
AnswerID: 41622

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 10:00

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 10:00
Biggest culprit in most rattles from engines (as distinct from "pings") is on the exhaust heat shields attatched to the cats and mufflers. Hose clamps are usually a good fix.
AnswerID: 41628

Reply By: CHRIS - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 11:48

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 11:48
Are you sure it's not the big ends about to pack it in. This model does not have agood history in this regard.
AnswerID: 41636

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 12:06

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 12:06
I think it was only the 1HD-T engines, could be wrong.

BTW- i had a similar ticking noise under load at around 2000 rpm, mainly when climbing hills in low gear i noticed it most.

I ended up replacing the big ends bearings as they are known to fail & don't have the noise anymore.

Funny thing is the old bearings that were removed were still in good condition, oh well, beter to be safe than sorry.
FollowupID: 304114

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 15:40

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 15:40
Wil,

Wonder if it's not something loose, as suggested by others above. Around 2,000rpm, is about peak torque, and have noticed other diesels get a bit noisier then.

We have an 80 with the 1HD-FT, that has 240K clicks on it, and have had no dramas with it. The bearing shell prob. was with the 1HDT, not the FT.

Always turn the CD up louder?

Hooroo...
AnswerID: 41651

Reply By: mrdesmo - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 00:35

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 00:35
Gday Wil,
I've got a similar rattle when going very slow under load...usually notice it most when coming up my driveway slowly and the noise bounces off the fence, but it is still loud in the cabin all the same.
Had the bigends done 10k ago, so its not that. I've got a feeling it could be thrust bearing related as the clutch is just about kaput, (my 80 has 210k on the clock, and I believe it could still be the original clutch as it was a country car and there is no mention of a replacement in the service manual). The noise disappears once you get going though, so I'm not too worried just yet. May be a different story when I do the clutch kit and the noise is still there....
Have had other cars making strange rattling noises down below which have been cured by a new thrust bearing. Either that or the gearbox could be about to let go!
BTW my 80 is the 1HD-T 11/92 model.
Hope this helps in some way....
AnswerID: 41682

Follow Up By: Wil - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 07:45

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 07:45
Hi Guys
Thanks for all the advice. I will try and listen closer & track it down properly. She starts & cruise beautifully. Very tight & powerful. Only the rattle noise from left side when slaving.

Cheers
FollowupID: 304141

Follow Up By: Wil - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 20:15

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 20:15
Hi Mr Desmo
Just wondering, how involve was it to replace the big ends?
Does it involve taking the top off? or just the sump and access it from the bottom?
How much did it cost you?
I don't think mine is a big end problem as it is not audioable 99% of the time. Just very very hard work at 2000 rpm.
Hope to hear from you..
Regards
Wil

FollowupID: 304298

Follow Up By: mrdesmo - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 01:44

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 01:44
GDay Wil,
I copped out of doing it myself, am far too busy at present to play unfortunately! However, the bloke who did it for me said it was a matter of dropping the sump and taking the caps off the end of the rods. A couple of hours work, pretty simple really. Normally I would do this stuff myself, but just no time. If you're good on a spanner and have a manual, there is no reason you couldn't do it yourself.
Costs:
Bearings $180 (approx) from Toyota who turned out to be cheaper than aftermarket!
Oil $45
Filter $26
Labour $150
Knowing its good for another 100 000 kms Priceless!!

Trick is with the bigend bearings, you need to have the old ones out to get the stamped ID off them, as apparently there are about 6 different sets for the 80 series!

I rang Toyota at first to get a rough idea of how much they would charge to do the job, the bloke obviously had no idea what was involved as he started talking about pulling out the motor, so I got a lead from this forum of a local bloke who would do it. If you want some details email me at jld@spin.net.au

I've been taking more notice of when the noise is apparent with mine, and it seems only in 1st gear, about 1800-2000rpm up a slight incline. In traffic, I'm not in 1st gear for very long so the noise isn't there....or if it is, I can't hear it!
Hope you sort it out...would like to hear from you if you discover what it is! BTW, is yours auto or manual?
Cheers
FollowupID: 304333

Follow Up By: Wil - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 06:55

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 06:55
Hi MrDesmo
Interesting that it is all quite easy to access which makes it less worrying.
I was a little surprised to hear you saying that it's good for another 100,000ks. Could you get more out of them?
Sounds like you didn't have to regrind the crank shaft. What will happen if you left it? Would it have stuffed the crank up?
Have spoken to some one last year who blew up his turbo and the impeller bits went through his motor. Cost him $16Ks to fix it by Toyo- new turbo & all that (12 valve motor). This guy has a farm and was towing up to 6 ton and very heavy footed!! I guess the Cruiser is still cheaper then a tractor aye...
Mine is an auto..
I will keep you posted matey.
Cheers

FollowupID: 304336

Follow Up By: mrdesmo - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 01:20

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 01:20
GDay Wil,
Yeah, the early model 1HD-T were known to go through bigend bearings, and Toyota were replacing them under warranty, but I doubt they will still do them now. Rather than me trying to explain read this which is from lcool technical page.
When mine were pulled out, they looked in excellent condition and could have probably kept going for another 100k, but I'm not too keen on suffering the consequences! From what the mechanic said, they hadn't been done before, as there is no sump gasket, just silicone, and he said it looked very much like the original silicon!
If yours is an auto, and it is the same noise...maybe I should worry...!
$16k for a new turbo and engine? Bugger! Toyota saw him coming surely? I would have taken it elsewhere...and bought a tractor as well!
Cheers
FollowupID: 304456

Sponsored Links