Fun 4wd'ing near Adelaide?

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 14:16
ThreadID: 9468 Views:5230 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

We are just getting into f4w'ing & would like to know if anyone can recommend some places to 4wd close to Adelaide, we live in the nth east suburbs.
Having done a course we would like to keep up the skills & practice a bit whilst not going too far from home, we have 2 4wd vehicles at the moment & will take both cars with some friends, so not too hard but still challenging would be good.

Thanks Rowler (dave)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 17:05

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 17:05
Have a look at this group http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/4wd_out_of_adelaide
and you will get some answers. Not a lot really close to Adelaide. Probably one of the closest to you would be up at Morgan or Burra or Cape Jervois maybe Deepcreek if you are just beginning. Join a club would be a good choice and do some outings. Most clubs have access to areas that are not available to the general public.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 41656

Follow Up By: Rowler - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 21:00

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 21:00
Thanks David,
great stuff, I am just waiting for my yahoo membership to be aproved.
Thanks for the tips, we have a patrol cab chassis do you recommend any clubs in the Highbury area?
FollowupID: 304127

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 22:24

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 22:24
Rowler, Don't just front up to any one club,but try several of them first. Depends on what age group or interests your into will help you decide what you want to do. I know Nissan have a club but can't help with contact details at the moment. Might be able to help out later in the week after a meeting. I'm in the Riverland so not much use to you as a club.Dare to Lead not to Follow
FollowupID: 304132

Follow Up By: Phil G - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 15:18

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 15:18
Rowler,

You'll find a list of South Australian clubs at
http://www.saafwdc.asn.au/

Check a few out, go to a couple of their meetings, see what the people are like and what the club does, and then join one or two.

There are many excellent 4wd clubs in SA.
FollowupID: 304178

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 22:51

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 22:51
If you are starting out i would suggest a great little track "The Border Track"....
Drive towards Pinnaroo and when you are about 5 or so kms you will see a turn to the right which is bitumen and goes to Bordertown, you go straight past that turn-off and the next on the right will be a dirt road called "Rosy Pine Road" or something similar.... Turn right into that dirt road and follow it all the way (approx 5kms),, you will notice it getting rougher and narrower and then comes to a camping ground with a few signs.... The signs will say "Centre Track and Border track".... Take the Border Track and follow it all the way (approx 50kms of sand tracks and dunes) and then when you exit the park you will be on a wide-ish dirt road again,, just turn right and follow it to the dukes hwy... Enjoy.... But go when it is under 30degrees,,,...
Let the tyres down to 15psi....___________________________________
Simpson trip 05/04 then turn left at Birdsville to Darwin via Lawn Hill etc

Reply By: Diesel Do - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 18:48

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 18:48
Dave,

Maybe you could try driving west on Magill Rd at afternoon peak hour?

Sun in your eyes, plenty of obstacles and rough enough to test your suspenders.

Only recovery gear you need is a mobile phone and the RAA number.

;-)
AnswerID: 41742

Reply By: Arkay - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 16:56

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 16:56
I'm probably a bit late to reply to this one as have been away for Chrissy, but here goes.....
For a day trip stick your 4WD nose into (and around) Cox Creek at the Cox Scrub Conservation Park, about 15km East of Mt Compass, or you can enter from the Northern side but the turn off is not marked. The RAA has a map of the Fleurieu Peninsula which where you will be able to find the location, and your way in.

As someone else said, the Border Track South from Pinnaroo is an (tough) option, but would suggest the Centre Track North-South through Ngarkat would be a better option. I believe that is the track that was suggested as the Border Track is a little further East via the Scorpion Springs turn off (phone NPWLs at Lameroo for all the guff, free map, newsletter, info etc.). Might I suggest that instead of that you start with the NORTHERN Border Track from Pinnaroo (just over the Vic border & turn left - North) and travel up to join the Mildura to Renmark road. Good fun & not too hard, there is nice camping ground next to the shearers quarters about 2/3 the way up. Do yourself a favour and buy the Mallee Tracks book (available at the RAA & elsewhere). About $30 well spent and has at least a dozen trips in the area. You won't regret it.
Then there is Lindsay Isaland, the Old Coach Road Mildura / Renmark, Beachport (5 mile drift), did I forget The Flinders (?), The Coorong (42 mile crossing + take a second 4WD & recovery gear), for a tame 1/2 day outing look at Old Sellicks Hill Road with short hill climb offshoots (go THROUGH the Victory Hotel car park to access this road etc.) And SO MANY more. Who said said 4WD boring. I could show you places that would have your passengers permanently grabbing the JC bar for the next 3 years.
AnswerID: 41840

Follow Up By: Rowler - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 21:12

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 21:12
Thanks mate, not too late at all.
I thought that I saw that cox's scrub was no longer able to be accessed because the entrance had rocks placed there & 50 metres up there were star droppers in the ground.
I think that it was on yahoo!

Thanks again & we will get out there, Rowler (dave)
FollowupID: 304305

Sponsored Links