Patrol 2.8 litre 99 model

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 18:13
ThreadID: 9472 Views:1903 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am a first time four wheel drive future owner .I am thinking about getting a 99 2.8 litre patrol turbo diesel. Are these a good vehicle and what is the fuel economy like. Any info would be helpful.

Cheers

Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mikell - Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 19:28

Saturday, Jan 03, 2004 at 19:28
Been looking for a newer patrol for a while myself.

The 2.8 lt is a good motor but a bit underpowered for the size vehicle. Economy is reasonable from what i can find out. I ruled out getting one of these as i tow a van and a horsefloat a fair bit and the lack of power put me off.

The 3.0lt sounds good but all the problems they have been having and the cost of spares frightened me off.

the 4.2lt is ideal for my purposes but i just have to find one at the right price. Everyone seems to want one and second hand still fetch good prices. Economy is good, power is excellent and reliability is proven.

Both petrol motors have plenty of power but are too thirsty to be used off road on extended trips or for towing (compared to the diesels)

Hope this helps some
AnswerID: 41660

Follow Up By: rolande- Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 22:21

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 22:21
Dave / Mikell,
Currently getting around 22 - 25 M.P.G from my 2.8 td, have towed up to 2,300 kg trailer, only really thought it was a problem when first starting, have to use a few more revs and clutch slip but O.K. once moving. If you want more power can always fit "powerchip" type engine controller for more power or work on intake/exhaust system. I think most of us would prefer the 4.2 but had similar problems trying to find one at a reasonable price that had service history and had not been treated roughly, so compromised with the 2.8. Overall happy so far.
Rolande
FollowupID: 304316

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 00:05

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 00:05
What do you want it for?? Towing? Treking, or just a daily car??

They are a bit underpowered... good for doing engine swaps with as they are cheap as chips!
AnswerID: 41679

Reply By: Brian - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:38

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:38
I would consider the 4.2 diesel. I believe the post 1999 models are factory turbo'ed?? (I may, and no doubt will, stand corrected on that).
I have a 4.2 naturally aspirated diesel and off road the low down torque is superb, whereas in a 2.8TD you're using a 2.8 L engine to push around a 2.5 tonne truck until your revs build up for the turbo to come on. (I may, and no doubt will, stand corrected on that as well).
As far as economy, most large fourbys are thirsty, they're big heavy vehicles that require a squirt of fuel to get 'em going.... and accessories cost heaps too!!!!
BUT.....
It's a great form of entertainment/travelling/sport/relaxation!!!!!!!!!!
Just my opinion
Cheers
Brian
AnswerID: 41702

Reply By: Nav 80 - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 15:29

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 15:29
Gday Dave,,,I have just traded my 1999 2.8 turbo diesel owned since new and heres my opinion it was the second 2.8 i owned as I had the GQ befor that.
I towed a 17 foot van over thousands of Ks and found it no problem for power except it was sluggish at low revs but on the road not a problem.
Off road it was not the best for sand driving again very sluggish at low revs,other conditions it was fine. I got an average of 15L/100Km pulling the van if you dont push it. I have just bought a new 3Ltr ST-R Navara and have done a 2000K trip with the van, it tows much better than the 2.8 with plenty of low down torque and in sand driveing is streets ahead of the 2.8. I got an average of 13.5/100k pulling the van. I had no problems with the 2.8 at all but so far am more than happy with the Navara I also think the problems with the 3Ltr have now been sorted but only time will tell.
AnswerID: 41724

Sponsored Links