Prado Problems

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 07, 2012 at 13:11
ThreadID: 94729 Views:2989 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My 2007 GXL Prado won't engage 4WD. The shift lever seems to work fine but the dash light does not appear and it is clear, particularly in low range - that is there is no low range! I checked the manual hoping it was a simple fix and checked the fuse but all seemed OK. It has just had its 120000km service. Has anyone had any similar issues?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member-PradoMad - Saturday, Apr 07, 2012 at 14:14

Saturday, Apr 07, 2012 at 14:14
Sorry to hear.
The best place to ask is:
http://www.pradopoint.com/

very helpful members there.

Hope you solve that problem soon.
JS.
AnswerID: 482469

Reply By: Beefa_1 - Saturday, Apr 07, 2012 at 14:43

Saturday, Apr 07, 2012 at 14:43
Thanks JS
AnswerID: 482470

Reply By: Willykj - Saturday, Apr 07, 2012 at 18:09

Saturday, Apr 07, 2012 at 18:09
Yes - have had the same problem. Mine is also a 2007 GXL V6 Auto. Last year whilst on Cape York I had the problem on an intermittent basis. Had the 80K service done on the Atherton Tablelands on the way home which fixed it for a while but it returned later. Since then I have had the 90K service done at Cessnock - they checked everything & it has worked OK ever since. They thought that it might have been dirty contacts.

The manual lever does change the gearing ie when moving it to 4H it does go into 4WD. Changing to 4L = again it does go into low range. If the light does come on it means that the Centre Diff Lock is not working. That light is for the Centre Diff Lock - not the 4WD. Of course for real 4WD you need the centre diff lock to be working.

I have read all the stuff on PradoPoint - it is a reasonably common problem.
On my way home last year we came via Birdsville & we did do Big Red. Coming back to Birdsville my dash light went out & we still did do all the other sand dunes without any problem (was a big diversion to get to & from Big Red),
Willy
AnswerID: 482476

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 00:49

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 00:49
Not familiar with the Prado system but the Daihatsu Rocky has 2 vacuum operated gizmo's on the side of the gearbox (difficult to get at) . mine got Dust in them, then water turned it mud and blocked them, cost over $300 to have them replaced, the old ones were left on the floor of the car, I opened one and a small tubing had a hole down through the center, all they needed to do was to clean them . Maybe the prado has the same setup.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 482489

Sponsored Links