Rats in the Roof

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 09:03
ThreadID: 94742 Views:3948 Replies:12 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I know it is not a 'pure' caravanning question but I knew one of you would know as we are just about to head off and I have discovered that we have rats/mice in the roof at home.
Can someone suggest a way of getting rid of them - not necessarily by using a commercial company.

Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 09:11

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 09:11
Get hold of a couple of these traps -they work very well. link here

Cheers
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 482494

Reply By: Fred G NSW - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 09:39

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 09:39
Saw a segment on TV Friday night, where Don Burke suggested putting small handfuls of ratsack mixed with peanut butter into plastic bags, tying off, and throwing several into the corners of your roofspace from the manhole.

If you're gone long enough, the smell should be gone by the time you get back home :-)

Fred
AnswerID: 482495

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 10:21

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 10:21
Hi Fred,

Peanut butter is an excellent bait (was with a scientist out in the Simpson once who was using to attract dingoes to monitoring points). But ratsack is another thing altogether - very nasty stuff, and after nearly loosing a dog to it once we will not have it around the place at all now. Warfarin (the active ingredient, and yes the same stuff taken by those of us with some heart conditions) causes internal bleeding, and thirst. Rats that have fed on a warfarin meal try to get to water which may just be your water tank - where they drown with the inevitable yuk water result. If they die outside then birds or dogs could eat the carcase and be similarly affected.

This time of the year as the weather cools rats and mice are looking for a warm winter home so they tend to get into the roof about now. Its either that or hitch a ride north along with all the other grey nomads.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 757759

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 14:52

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 14:52
That all makes perfect sense Val. Have never used the stuff myself, as I prefer traps, but they need to be checked regularly. Peanut butter is the trap bait I use.
I just happened to catch that bit on TV on Friday night while waitin for the footy. We have 3 dogs and two cats, so I certainly won't be using it.
Great information for all of us.

Fred.
FollowupID: 757779

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 18:31

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 18:31
Fred,
most times the rats will leave the roof space and seek water after eating ratsack. They then die elsewhere.

RA.

FollowupID: 757805

Reply By: kev.h - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 11:18

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 11:18
Try Tom cat blocks from your hardwear store slightly better than ratsak as it lasts years
It you don't like the idea of dead rats in your ceiling throw a heap of moth balls up there they dont like the smell
Cheers Kev
AnswerID: 482505

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 12:06

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 12:06
This is the time of the year for rats in the house, as they search out a warmer spot with the onset of cooler weather.
I found that rats are very picky on baits, and wouldn't touch Ratsack (warfarin). Bromakil wax tablets seem more to their liking, but even then, they can be picky. Then I resort to crushing the tablets and mixing them with peanut butter. The pickiest of rats still seem to go for this.
I place it on a saucer in the ceiling, near the manhole so it can be checked frequently.
Also check oustide spots like compost bins, or stacked timber, and place baits there, but where you pets can't get to them.

cheers,
Gerry
AnswerID: 482508

Reply By: sweetwill - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 13:15

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 13:15
HELLO GARYTEE
If you live near a produce shop ask them for a grain mixture it soon gets rid of the little buggers cheers Bill.
AnswerID: 482514

Reply By: Dust-Devil - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 14:13

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 14:13
(1) Dolphin big torch

(2) /Assistant Spotter

(3) Steady arms and hands

(4) .22 rifle with 'Rat shot' rounds

That's while they call them 'Rat Shot' for as they don't go through the tiles, ceilings etc.

You will be amazed at the results.

DD
AnswerID: 482517

Follow Up By: Begaboy - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 18:54

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 18:54
I second this one ... there is some contention about the rat shot damaging your barrel of the .22 - but if it gets rid of the rats and helps with a good night sleep - then who cares
FollowupID: 758124

Reply By: Bazooka - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 16:43

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 16:43
Know anyone who keeps snakes? If so ask them for some droppings and put it in your roof cavity. Seriously.
AnswerID: 482531

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 17:17

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 17:17
A couple of years ago we lived well out in the bush on the Mid-North Coast of NSW.

There were a number of trellises growing next to the house that had a flowering vine on them, and we had a tiled roof. So vermin could get into the rook very easily.

When we first took possession of the place it had been vacant for some time and the place had became the home for rats and mina birds. I tried poisoning the rats and the birds, well they just wouldn't go. And then, suddenly they went.

No rats running in the ceiling or birds nesting in the rafters, so I went up to have a look, and with a torch I saw the reason - Mr. Carpet Snake had moved in.

I didn't let my Mrs. know though.
FollowupID: 757796

Reply By: Life Member - esarby (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 17:33

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 17:33
WE had a big problem owing to a main sewer close by our property. I do not like baits and came across this electronic plug-in repelor. 4 in 1 have not seen or heard of the rats since. takes about three or four days before you get the result you want. I think it is called Pestek. Plugs into a power point and sends out a high pitched signal. safe for pets and birds.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 482537

Reply By: River Swaggie - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 18:24

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 18:24
I can vouch for peanut butter too..Even caught my own finger in it while applying the stuff...

AnswerID: 482545

Reply By: Witi Repartee - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 22:29

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 22:29
Open the manhole. Toss the cat up....insert earplugs and go to sleep. Retrieve cat in morning,repeat as needed.
AnswerID: 482563

Follow Up By: Begaboy - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 18:58

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 18:58
This also works if you dont want to use ratshot in your .22 - just have to make sure there is no rat poison up there first
FollowupID: 758125

Reply By: timothy - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 13:00

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 13:00
You need to get rid of any way they have of getting into the roof otherwise they'll definitely come back. I trapped the first lot of mice we had using the plastic catch alive traps they have at Bunnings, a month later a different colony had taken residence, being sick of them I used the bucket full of water, peanut butter and a jar to remove this colony. A month or two later we had rats take up residence, they weren't interested in peanut butter, ratsak throw baits, pellet traps or wax blocks (warferin or brodifacoum).

I realised they were leaving the roof at night and eating the neighbours chook food then using the plastic grease trap pipe to climb around the eave onto the roof and under the tiles so I removed the top section of the pipe. A day later the traps were gone and a few days after that it was all quiet at night. A week later until they realised they could climb the pipe that runs to our rainwater tank and so yet another colony took residence, I have since removed the pipe and re-stocked the bait stations (both the snap traps and poison) and now all is quiet and has been for about a month.

They always seem to take the talon pellets (brodifacoum based) from the bait stations first, they have never touched the ratsak throw packs, the wax blocks (warferin based) or the peanut butter snap traps. I would NOT use poison unless it's out of reach of pets and you're absolutely desperate to get rid of them, I always go out with my dog in the morning to make sure there are no dead/dying rats in the yard and do a second search in the evening.
AnswerID: 482584

Reply By: Member - wicket - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 13:50

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 13:50
read about Racumin here

Have tried all the other baits and found Racumin to be the most effective.
AnswerID: 482587

Sponsored Links