Cape York trip in July

We are one of 3 couples travelling for the first time in early July to Cape York.

Any advice you can give us as to the best camping grounds to stay at, nice quiet location with lot of birdlife as we are all keen birdwatchers.

Any river crosses that are best avoided, your advice would be much appreciated.

Also, we're in a quandry where to stay at the tip either Punsand Bay Camping Resort, Seisia Holiday Park or Loyalty Beach.
Any comments?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrol22 - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 12:01

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 12:01
Robin G2 - the river crossing vary year to year but some are always a bit more difficult than others. Gunshot and Palm Creeks can have really difficult entry/exit particularly on the southern banks, Nolans can be really deep at times....and probably is always deepest of the creeks on the OTL. The Pascoe River on the Frenchman's Tk can also be fast running and deep.
Re camping at the tip.... my preference is for either Punsand Bay or Loyalty Beach (or do both of them as they are a fair drive apart). The Seisia Holiday Park was great some years back but more recently it has been less well cared for and my personal experience has been that the wharf seems to now operate around the clock.....well at least on every high tide...and the reversing beeper of the fork lifts is loud......did I say just how loud that thing is....!! and this has put me off the Seisia spot a little. Others may well have a different view.....but hey that's what makes the world go around eh?
AnswerID: 482506

Follow Up By: Robin G2 - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 07:39

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 07:39
Thanks Patrol 122 for the information - all very useful.
FollowupID: 757840

Reply By: i'machocoholic - Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 15:22

Sunday, Apr 08, 2012 at 15:22
I can only comment on Punsand Bay as I have stayed there 3 times over 20 years. However I can't say that many improvements have been made during that time!Punsand Bay is great for a few things:

1. I's the closest caravan park to the tip
2. It also has a back road to get to the tip which is a lot of fun
3. It also has the ferry for Thursday Island pull up at the beach just in front of you (less than 2 minute walk).
4. If you don't need power ask for a beachfront site as you only are around 30-40 metres from the water

If's a kind of bush setting but beachfront if that makes sense. Most of the sites are fairly well contained so you have plenty of trees around you for shade. Humidity can be high so if you don't like the heat, take a couple of 12v fans to help you sleep (and they also make great white noise if you have a noisy neighbour)!!
AnswerID: 482519

Follow Up By: Robin G2 - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 07:41

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 07:41
Appreciate all the information I'machocoholic - from the sound of it Punsand Bay sounds the place to stay!
FollowupID: 757841

Reply By: Member - John G- Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 16:48

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 16:48
G'day Robin,

Camping grounds: All the roadhouse camping areas are OK. Probably need to think about getting there around 1500 to pick your spot. We stayed at Loyalty Beach for eight days. Good spot.Punsand Bay also looks good, and if you have the time, then I'd suggest splitting your time between the two. Loyaly Beach is more convenient if you plan to visit Horn and Thursday Islands.

Birdwatching: A professional birdwatching tour camped at Moreton TS, and Cooks Hut (In Iron Range NP) while we were travelling, so There's obviously good birdwatching in both areas. The Pascoe River needs respect if you go into Iron Range (now has a different name) NP. I'd suggest googling birdwatching tours for Cape York Peninsula and check out their itineraries.

River Crossings: Read Ron Moon's guide book for Cape York Peninsula, and check out Cape York river crossings on youtube. You don't have to do the Old Telegraph Track, and if you don't then that reduces the number of crossings.

Good planning.

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 482605

Follow Up By: Robin G2 - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 14:57

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 14:57
Thanks John for the useful information - much appreciated.
FollowupID: 757948

Reply By: Frances - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 21:24

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 21:24
Punsand Bay has a swimming pool.......
AnswerID: 482803

Sponsored Links