2012 Mazda BT 50 Tailgate lock

Submitted: Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 08:24
ThreadID: 94758 Views:11990 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Just bought a new Mazda BT50 (2012 MY). It's my first ute. I'm delighted with it but I'd have thought all utes would have lockable tailgates. Not so, apparently. Yet Mazda offers a "secure" canopy as an optional extra.

Does anyone know whether these can be retrofitted. The 2012 Ford Ranger has a tailgate lock and I think the Mazda has the same mechanism (minus the lock). How easy would this be to install?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 14:40

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 14:40
Sorry that I cannot answer your directly query.

I have always liked the dual cab concept and had a Nissan Navara in the late 1980's to 90's. I recently made a car yard an offer on a 76 series Toyota workmate wagon with a chopped rear & short steel tray, but they declined.

However, I have just taken delivery of a new BT 50 Dual cab. I have been in Patrol GU's for the last 15 years.

I am in a similar circumstance but don't really want a tonneau or hard cover.

What I have decided to do is securely mount a weatherproof, lockable, permanent toolbox in the tub, against the cab wall.

I have looked at many boxes and decided on an aluminium one, 1000 l x 350 w x 330 h from Toolbox Centre. Some of the cheaper steel or ally boxes are not weather proof, are very flimsy and in my opinion could easily be forced open.

I am gunna fit the new ARB bull bar when it arrives in May, and my HID Lightforce spotties onto that. I'm thinking of fitting a 48 L Dolium poly fuel tank to supplement the pathetic 80 L main tank. I'm also thinking of a custom roofrack/open canopy frame mounted over the tub.

What are you planning to do in terms of modifications?

Cheers
AnswerID: 482595

Follow Up By: nickycohen - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 16:36

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 16:36
I have just built a hardwood, weather proof box into which I've inserted a second 105 AH AGM battery which I've connected up to a Redarc dual battery management solenoid and a series of plugs and an inverter. There is also room in the box for a toolbox and recovery gear. It weighs a tonne and is bolted to the floor of the tub. Not all that practical, but it works well and it cost me nothing. I looked at the Alloy boxes but was concerned that the interior dimensions were curtailed somewhat by the lip around the edge of the top of the box (the bit that makes it weather-proof).

The tub has a soft tonneau cover (at present).

I will mainly be carrying lengths of timber so I have also fitted the sports bar and a ladder rack.

I have ordered the ARB bullbar, as the Mazda version doesn't take a winch, and is in short supply anyway. I have a pair of Lightforce Genesis HID lamps that I will attach to the bullbar when it arrives.

I swapped the tyres for BF Goodrich A/Ts before I took delivery as I really don't like the Dunlop Grand Trek 22's. I had them on my Landcruiser and they were terrible on gravel roads.

I want to fit a canopy when I head across the Simpson next year, and that's why I want to be able to lock the tailgate. I was intending to install a drawer system / fridge slide etc. etc. which I will build myself. Mazda offers a canopy that they claim is "attractive and secure" (I'd go with ARB's canopy or the one made by Razorback (the latter is made of steel). I don't know why Mazda even bothers putting locks on the windows of their canopy if the tailgate can't be locked!

In the meantime I am also thinking of swapping the dampers for the ones that come standard on the Ford Ranger. I found the Ford had a much better ride than the Mazda. I may hold off doing this because if I do manage the Simpson trip next year I'll go with OME suspension (I had this set-up on my Landcruiser and a set of eight Hi-Lux OME shocks on my OKA and they were all brilliant!)

I'm also considering a long range tank, but as I live in Tasmania, this is not an immediate priority as I can drive around the entire state on a single tank of fuel.

And lastly I'm going to have a Rhino Liner sprayed into the tub. That's happening on Wednesday.

Good luck with your BT-50.
FollowupID: 757877

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 16:53

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 16:53
Rick,

If you're chasing that type of tank, also check out PolyRV Tanks by Enmach Industries.

They make a wider range than Dolium, in a numberof different "configurations".

I've got an 80L water, and 80L diesel tank to put under a tray, on Landcruiser ute, and looks to be an easy set-up. Famous last words???

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 757878

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 18:40

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 18:40
Gday Rick,
Great move buying the BT50. I've been looking at them as well - thinking a dual cab chassis might tick all the boxes except it doesn't come in an auto. Might have to get the ute and remove the tub.

Hardest part is trying to come up with a reason to depart with a perfectly set-up reliable 79series! Might make move after this years trips
FollowupID: 757895

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 19:25

Monday, Apr 09, 2012 at 19:25
Thanks, blokes, for those tips on alternate suppliers.

I overlooked saying that I have a ute liner ordered ($400).

Also have a Redarc electric trailer brake on the way & have already wired in the charge system for the deep cycle battery necessary when I tow the trailer.

Will use a thumper style batt for the second batt/emergency. Not much room under the bonnet for a 2nd batt; this current system has stood me proud for 15 years so why change?....I know, I'd change if I were made of money!

I'm planning on killing off thru wear & tear/attrition the standard Dunlop tyres. Planning at the moment to stay with the 255/70's size & have a new 6th rim with a Bridgestone LT 697 on it already.

Will go with a suspension upgrade when the existing system demands it.

And Phil G - the dark side beckoned! Cornes 4 x 4 rejected my offer on a modified 76 series with a steel tray. A week later they accepted but I'd moved on & I'm glad because the Mazda is point & shoot to drive Vs driving every inch with the 'Yota in that configuration. Power & torque of the two are almost identical........

Chose the BT 50 tub only because of the lack of auto in the cab chassis. After having driven manual & auto, it is a no brainer to get auto.

Cheers all

RM
FollowupID: 757900

Reply By: Dr Hook - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 18:24

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 18:24
My, such a lot of product endorsements for just one thread!?!
See more recent thread at 94799.
Good Luck!
AnswerID: 482776

Follow Up By: nickycohen - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 20:08

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 20:08
Yeah, but still no information about locking tailgates! No endorsements intended.
FollowupID: 758065

Sponsored Links