How can I beat fly's & mozzies

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 15:56
ThreadID: 94794 Views:3152 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
We are about to invest in our first caravan, been tenting it till now.
Wondering how others beat the annoying pests do you have fly wire walls on your awnings or free standing gazebo / screen house thingies. We have used a very quick to erect fly wire cover that hangs from a point and drapes down so you can sit under it but it is only big enough to cover two people sitting at a table and is a bit fiddly to get in and out of.
Looking for something that is quick and easy to erect and you can sit comfortably under outside while eating or enjoying your poison of choice at the end the day without the pests.

Cheers
Barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 16:42

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 16:42
Barry,

I have seen a Oztrial gazebo with fly screens around 3x3 meters not cheap and they pack away quite large but that might get you out of trouble. We use a mozzi zapper at night to keep them away and keep the lights to a minimum.
AnswerID: 482688

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 09:31

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 09:31
Thanks for the info I will take a look at them

cheers
Barry
FollowupID: 758014

Reply By: the_fitzroys - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 21:28

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 21:28
Hi Barry,
We have a Coleman gazebo (with geodetic dome) and it seems to do the trick. You can't stop the odd crawler or mozzie getting in but what would camping be without the occasional bite? The size of the gazebo is great. We can put in a large table with chairs, fridge and storage tubs. Super easy to erect and dismantle.
AnswerID: 482714

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 09:37

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 09:37
I agree that the occasional bite is the Aussie way. I have just returned from the Murray River and the fly's were very friendly during the day and mozzie's were very hungry at night lot of water around after floods didn't help.
Just looking for ideas for an easy set up for those times you are driven into the van.
Remember one time in the Simpson we had to sit in the car to eat our meals flys were a black mass.
Thanks for the reply
Cheers
Barry
FollowupID: 758015

Reply By: Member - Carl- Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 15:36

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 15:36
Hi Barry,

If you are going to a caravan the best way is screen walls. You did not say if your caravan is a full van or a pop top van. Full van is easier to make insect proof, than a pop top van. So in walls you can have an canvas annex, shade screen walls or insect screen walls. Each have an advantage and a disadvantage. No free lunch in the caravan and camping business. I describe them as cost, set up time or weight. Generally the better they are the more those 3 factors increase. So I will mention insect screen walls as this seems to be what you are most interesting in at the moment. These walls will fit the roll out awning that you will get fitted to your caravan or these days every van comes with one.

So depending upon what van you are getting (you did not mention it), will depend up which of 3 main rollout awnings you van will have. If you are getting a Jayco they will have their own brand. The other 2 are either Dometic and the best brand it Aussie Traveller. Aussie traveller are stronger and easier to fit screen walls and annexes to, and easier to put them up and down when traveling. (I am not associated with them either but used to make these type of screen walls before retirement).

So screen walls are best made of a material called "Shadeview 243". You did not where you were so I will give a national company when you can get it." Nolans UDA" is probably the best as they are in every capital city. Google them for address. They have a cash sales counter with samples so just wander there and they can help. It comes in about 20 different colours but a dark colour (black) allows you to see out very well and makes it look like a tinted window rather than a screen. This material stops flies, mosies and midges. Stops 85% of sunlight so makes a great shade screen and wind but allows breeze in summer and some rain. It also gives privacy and reduces the chance of things being stolen. It is strong and does not need to be reinforced, can be welded and sewn. You can fit zippers and velcro and kedar as well not to mention eyelets to it.

Here ispic of it fitted to my van and some others. If your wife can sew, get a sewing machine and make your own.

AnswerID: 482769

Follow Up By: Member - Carl- Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 15:45

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 15:45
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 758047

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 16:35

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 16:35
Hi Carl,

Thanks for the great info and photos.
I should of mentioned that we havn't got van yet still deciding but at present
Trackmaster are at top of our list. We are looking for a small Off Road van.
Doing all the home work before committing to anything up till now we have tented it but am retired now and looking forward to getting away for longer and a little more comfort especially the sleeping part.
Up till now we have traveled very light not towing anything so this is a big change for us so we want to keep it as simple and small as practical.
I can see your set up is great for longer stays my original post I was wondering if someone had come up with a light weight easy to erect fly screen there are so many great Aussie bush fixes out there. Sorry if I didn't explain myself properly.

Thanks again Carl, I will keep your set in mind if we decide down the track if we need a more permanent setup.

Cheers
Barry
FollowupID: 758048

Follow Up By: Member - Carl- Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 16:49

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 16:49
Hi Barry,

We used this on our trip around the country in a Kedron. I put this up if we were staying 4 days or more in one location.Wuruma Dam for example we camped there for 5 weeks but other places only a day or so.

Trakmaster are great van and I am a fan of these. Good price and have some nice models. Good suspension as well.

If you are looking for the Gazebo idea go to Australia Shade Wholesalers in Brendale in Brisbane. Ask for Paul. These guys are the cheapest I have found for this kiind of thing. Not far from Trakmaster either.

What are you towing it with?
FollowupID: 758049

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 23:51

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 23:51
Carl,
You have me a little confused ??
You mentioned Brendale in Brisbane ( not far from Trakmaster ) !!

Trakmaster are in Melb !!
Do you mean Bushtracker ??

Bushtracker do make a great off road caravan but unfortunately don't make a small size to suit us.

We have a 79 series Land Cruiser.

Cheers
Barry
FollowupID: 758085

Reply By: Member - MIKE.G - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 19:18

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 19:18
Hi Barry.
A quick fix for a morning cuppa or lunch on the road, we do what the Aborigines have been doing for thousands of years - make smoke! Light a couple of mozzie coils and put them up wind of the food and it solves the fly problem.

Cheers,

Mike
AnswerID: 482786

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 23:38

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 23:38
Hey Mike

That's what I'm talking about " Aussie Bush magic " I have used mozzie coils in the past " But " never thought about the flies !!!!

I should know better I have relied on the simple solutions for so long " BUT " now I'm thinking of going "Vanning " I'm getting soft !!!!! No offense to Vanners He, He.

Thanks Mike

Cheers
Barry
FollowupID: 758083

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 00:02

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 00:02
Barry, this pop-up screen house on eBay is about the only thing I've seen that might fill the bill for you - light, not as bulky, and doesn't take as long to put up, as the Coleman Screen House, or the OzTrail gazebo.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110753551321?hlp=false#ht_1644wt_1396

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 483141

Sponsored Links