tv for van

We would like to recieve advice on a tv and aerial for our van. We are thinking of one from Kogan online. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 19:22

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 19:22
Gooday,
Went through this about 6 months ago, finished up with a Changhong, Chinese I know, but what is not today, we have a 19 inch flat screen Digital. The picture is better than the very expensive one we have at home.
They have been making components and TV's for 50 years so know something about the game. Like all new smaller sets they have the loudspeaker on the back which means you can hear it better from next door or outside, however Changhong have a range of sound settings that you can use to make the sound very acceptable. They are also able to be run off 12 volt which is a huge bonus.
We paid around $250-00 six months ago from Hardly Normal. Personally would not buy a Kogan, you get what you pay for.
As for TV you will get a variety of suggestions but to my knowledge a Digimatch is about the best for all round, you need to be able to have both vertical and horizontal capabilities for the different signals I am advised, we have satellite. You will no doubt get lots of suggestions for many others but the Digimatch does work and won't scorch your wallet.
Cheers,
Boroma604
AnswerID: 482694

Reply By: bazz - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 19:42

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 19:42
nothing wrong with 19 in kokan so far, even fell off the fridge and it still goes, 140$ delivered on ebay , cheers Bazz
AnswerID: 482697

Follow Up By: Nickywoop - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 19:57

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 19:57
Agree Bazz,

Have a 19" LED in the Coramal Pioneer XC and one in the bedroom at home.
Both have builtin DVD players, and can't fault them. Absolute rippers.

Just sent a 54" Panasonic plasma from in the lounge up to town today to get fixed, (1 week out of warranty). I think Panasonic are going to look after me though in all due respects.

Have a 42" Panasonic 6 years old and never missed a beat in the pegola, bought that when $4500 each.

Nick
FollowupID: 757969

Follow Up By: Chris & Sue (Briz Vegas) - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 21:51

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 21:51
Another vote for the 19" Kogan. Ours did 22000 kms around the block last year over some rather ordinary roads in WA & NT without a problem. .We use it with both a sat dish and ordinary antenna as well as USB stocks with movies on.

No cause for complaint.

Cheers,
Chris
FollowupID: 757985

Follow Up By: Chris & Sue (Briz Vegas) - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 21:53

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 21:53
Hmmmm. That's USB Sticks!

Chris
FollowupID: 757986

Reply By: Member - Ups and Downs - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 20:46

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2012 at 20:46
Other than Boroma's comment I haven't heard any adverse reports on Kogan, they have all been positive. Good enough for me.

Paul
AnswerID: 482704

Reply By: DDCman - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 08:43

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 08:43
I installed a 22" Kogan with built in DVD player. So far so good. Good pic. Channeled the sound into the aux inputs of the van stereo. As far as antenna's go. I've been contemplating this too. In the mean time, as a 'temporary' measure, I got a fairly rugged pair of rabbit ears and made a mounting platform cut from one of those white chopping boards that you get in $2 shops. The antenna fits in a hole in this, then the whole lot is fixed to the top of one of those telescopic antenna mounts (via a split pin arrangement). I can turn it every which way, and adjust the length of the ears. Looks a bit odd, but it seems to pull in TV no problems, and takes up hardly any room. I will properly stick with it as a more permanent measure. The only other antenna really worth contemplating is a phased array antenna, as they are quite compact, and directional. There is an article on this forum about them I think.
I also installed a media player that can use detachable USB hard drives. Best way to go. Fill it up at home with movies etc, then transfer it using shoelan to your van and plug it in to the media player. Media players will play just about any format, whereas the built in TV USB is usually very restricted for some reason.

Graham
AnswerID: 482738

Reply By: new boy - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 10:15

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 10:15
In Perth last week could only get the ABC SBS digital channels bad spot friend brought a Jack,s Digital aerial got the full 20 odd channels. They pin straight onto the wyngard or a pole dependant on your set up hardest part was getting the ladder from the side of the house. They are a Camec product and were in there catalogue.
AnswerID: 482743

Reply By: garrycol - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 10:33

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 10:33
I have a Kogan and would not buy one again - the sound is absolutely atrocious and the receiver is very poor and requires a very good antenna and booster to even get local stations.

Garry
AnswerID: 482744

Reply By: Member - David P8(Echuca,Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 14:15

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 14:15
Thanks everyone who has replied so far. For and against Kogan is about 50/50. Still have bait of research todo before we take off on the 20th where hopefully we will catch up with some of you. We will be towing a Track Trailer Topaz with a burgundy coloured Navarra.

Regards, David
AnswerID: 482762

Reply By: Member - DereelGirl - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 14:59

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 14:59
Hi Dave,

Whatever you get try for an LED, it will use less power than an LCD. I have a 22" Tyagi and the sound isn't too good and even with a booster the signal drops out and pixilates quite a bit.

Cheers

Robyn
Dereelgirl

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 482764

Sponsored Links