Fridge dead completely on 12 volt

Hi all

Yes I have a Waeco so will take the flack as necessary BUT I plugged it into 12 volt before Easter and it won't go at all. No lights NOTHING. 240 runs as usual.

I have checked everything starting at the plug. I seem to have power all the way to the little circuit board where the 12 volt and 240 volt meet. It is a digital CF-35 with the voltage transformation inside the fridge. There are no obvious burn marks on the board though the little box in the middle wrapped in yellow cardboard looks like it has seen better days. It has a part number stamped on it with 4amp/25volts. Any chance this is the polyfuse? I figure the problem has to be here somewhere as the wires that leave it are the same whether on 240 or 12 volts.

Would I be able to replace this myself? Or maybe the whole board? Is there a way to test it?

Any gurus out there? I guess I am reluctant to spend $100/hr on a tech and whatever ($150?) in parts for a fridge that has run for almost 6 years straight for which I only paid $500 for?

Thanks in advance to any helpers.

Terry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: marc p - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 18:24

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 18:24
When my poly fuses went on both my Waecos the power light stayed on but it flashed the low power error code (one flash every 5 seconds). It was the same for both - one digital and the other with the 7 step light temp control.

So it doesn't sound like the polyfuse based on my two previous experiences. But you should replace that poly fuse with an 8 Amp one as that is what it should have if it has a BD35 compressor - it will blow eventually and that is what is fitted as standard now.
AnswerID: 482777

Reply By: dbish - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 22:22

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 22:22
Hi Terry, If your interested in fixing it yourself there is a fairbit of info on Caravaners forum under Waeco Powersupply http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16003 I have had afair bit to do with Waeco fridges.
AnswerID: 482809

Follow Up By: Member - tdv - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 08:20

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 08:20
Thanks, I'll have a look
FollowupID: 758095

Follow Up By: Member - tdv - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 12:02

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 12:02
I have finally had a good look at my fridge. I have 12.8 volts coming into the power control board but leaving the board about 8 volts. I assume this is the reason why I get nothing when on 12 volt supply. I have looked at your excellent info in the link but can't seem to find the dodgy part. Any hints???

Otherwise any clues on where I could buy another power supply board as this might be the easiest option for me?

With all the supposed thousands of dead Waeco's around someone must have a second hand board that works :-)
FollowupID: 759005

Follow Up By: dbish - Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 17:27

Saturday, Apr 21, 2012 at 17:27
If its working fine on 240v then there is verry little wrong with the board. The 2 most likely suspects on the board are the Polly fuse or the Change over relay. Back to the link posted the 5th pic down in the top LH corner is the polly fuse, its square orange coloured object with 2 wires. To check if its the problem bridge out the 2 wires. If it now runs on 12V its faulty & replace it. If that doesnt fix it then the change over relay may have burnt contacts, easy to replace.
FollowupID: 759034

Follow Up By: Member - tdv - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 11:09

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 11:09
Fixed! I am an idiot though! I used another cable to connect my fridge as I have a new ute that I haven't had a chance to wire in correctly. The polarity was incorrect on the cable (I'm not sure how this happend in the past but there you go). It showed 12 volts and I never paid attention to the polarity on the multimeter as I just wanted to know power was there.

As usual it is usually a simple answer. Thanks for all your help anyway!!!!

Cheers
FollowupID: 759173

Follow Up By: dbish - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:16

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:16
Good to see you fixed it ( bleep happens). Cheers Daryl
FollowupID: 759177

Sponsored Links