Broken Timing Gear FJ62 3F

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 19:06
ThreadID: 94816 Views:3316 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All. My old cruiser finally let me down on a trip with the timing gear breaking 18kms south of Port Augusta. Car is on the way back to Adelaide and I will have it repaired. My understanding is the cam gear is fibrous gear, just have a few questions that more knowledgeable people might know the answer to. Car has almost got 300,000kms

1. Is there any benefit in replacing with metal gears or just stick with OEM?
2. Should both gears be replaced at the same time?
3. Anything else worth looking at replacing/checking while the bits are out?
4. I assume it is a Cam out job and a press fit for the gear?
5. with 300,000kms on the clock is this the start of things to come, or is it just run in :-) Car runs perfect and had been well looked after. Wife wants a new one but I am kinda of attached to her (the car not the wife :-)) so would like to get a few more years out of it.

Sorry for all the questions

Thanks
Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 19:16

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 19:16
Ian! The other metal gear normally doesnt normally wear. The idea of the fibre gear is only to make it run quiet. I put a alloy gear in my red motor holden in the 70's and it was really noisy!! It had a metallic ring that was horrible.. Stick with the fibre or use an alloy if there is one available and you like wearing earplugs.. Good excuse to wear earplugs when you wife is in the car also :)))) Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 482785

Reply By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 20:06

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2012 at 20:06
Cam can stay in.
You pull the fuel pump off and use a specially manufactured wedge to hold the cam when you knock the new gear on. The old one comes off with a chisel and hammer.
Use the original fibre one.
Check the oil squirter is not blocked. When they block up thats when they usually strip.
You can pull the oil squirter out and clean it while the front is off.
Scott
AnswerID: 482795

Reply By: milkieboy - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 17:18

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 17:18
Thank you for the replies. Looks like a fibre one will be going back on and will check the oil dripped.

See if I can get another 8 years without a breakdown :-)

Ian
AnswerID: 482863

Sponsored Links