Roast veges in a camp oven

I suspect that this question has been asked before but:
How do you get nice crisp roast veges in a camp oven?
We have a Hillbilly camp oven which does superb roast meats however invariably the veges come out more stewed than roasted. We have a ring which sits in the camp oven into which veges can be put that works alright if there are only a couple of people, but when we have a bigger group veges need to go down the bottom with the meat or we use a second hillbilly camp oven and we can't get the veges to crisp up
Any advice appreciated
Cheers
Daz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 09:47

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 09:47
I use proper dripping in C.O., and bugger the cholesterol or whatever it contains.

But it works for me, and it makes the veggies taste nice too.
AnswerID: 482833

Reply By: Member - Cruiser74 - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 09:51

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 09:51
Hi Daryl,

I've never used a camp oven before and I'm certainly no chef but have you tried par-boiling the vegie's first, draining them off and finishing them in the oven?
AnswerID: 482834

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:31

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:31
I have never gotten mine to go crisp...I think it's heaps better in the meat juices soggy and so tasty :)
AnswerID: 482839

Reply By: gke - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:42

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:42
Hi Daz- When you add the veges about half way through the cooking, try putting a small stick under the lid to let the steam escape during the vege cooking. Works for us using camp oven and coals.
Cheers, Graham.
AnswerID: 482843

Follow Up By: Ray 3 - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 16:14

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 16:14
Never used a camp oven so my advice in that regard is of no use, however being the cook in the household and always being fussy about my roast vegetables, I would say cook them separately with plenty of room, and yes, 'par boil them first', then roast them either in the oven or another cooking vessel.
The secret to crisp veges is...1/ Use a high smoke point fat or oil, the best which I always use is DUCK FAT (the choice of quality restaurants), followed by PORK FAT, then dripping, after that a high smoke point oil such as, Rice Bran, Peanut or Canola oil...never ever use OLIVE OIL, it is totally unsuitable for roasting.
2/ Use as little fat/oil as is absolutely necessary, a tablespoon is quite sufficient for 8-10 pieces of medium cut veges. I always place duck fat into a preheated oven and when hot, put the veges in and toss them to coat them evenly with the fat/oil...when they are done and crisp, there is virtually zero fat/oil left in the roasting pan.
FollowupID: 758115

Follow Up By: Ray 3 - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 16:20

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 16:20
A further important tip, after 'par boiling', shake the harder veges, potatoes and the like (not pumpkin) in the pot to ruff them up, this really creates a crispy rough edge the finish.
FollowupID: 758116

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 12:36

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 12:36
I find with the Hill Billy that you need to remove the meat to allow it to rest before devouring it. In the time that the meat is resting place the camp oven back on fresh hot coals to allow them to get the oven HOT, this allows the veges to become crisp :)
I alos use 2 even 3 ovens to cook enough veges for everyone as well.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 482847

Follow Up By: the_fitzroys - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 00:40

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 00:40
Yep, totally agree with this. Rest your meat in a warm place. Get rid of fat that may be swimming in the CO (depending on the meat) and then put your CO back on the coals. I'd even throw a few coals on top just to get the tops crisping.
Lou
FollowupID: 758168

Reply By: ExplorOz - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 14:42

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 14:42
I think the problem you're having is your vegies are cooking too slowly and are soaking up too much of the meat juices/fat. No matter what you do you want get them crisp this way. As someone said, you can par-boil separately whilst the meat is cooking, then add the potatoes and crisp/brown over a higher heat in a separate camp oven OR in same camp oven over higher heat AFTER removing the meat and letting it rest (wrapped in foil).

I personally don't do either of these methods but would consider it if I was having troubles. For me, I use a cast iron camp oven and put the meat in first. Then add vegies in the final 40 minutes. I have enough room to place them around the outside of the meat and never let them touch the bottom of the camp oven so they don't sit in meat juices or fat. I like them elevated on a trivet. If the meat is too big then I'll roast them separately in a second (smaller) camp oven I always take (packed inside the larger one).

Good luck with it - sounds like more practise need = more camping trips !! Yippee!

Michelle
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 482852

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 18:42

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 18:42
Thanks Michelle good advice
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 758121

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 14:47

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 14:47
I was having the same trouble in my Hilllbilly oven. The vegies were yummy but more like steamed.

The fix is to cook them in the ring, and get the extender to make the lid higher. Then the cooking is by some coals on the top and add wood to the lid to make a small fire and drop new coals. The results are great with crisp vegies. I also leave a small gap toward the end if there is a lot of liquid in the bottom of the oven.

AnswerID: 482853

Reply By: Frances - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 15:06

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 15:06
Daz, use duck fat to cook them - and your roast in - it's the healthiest fat and you can cook with it at a higher temperature. Gives fantastic flavor and your vegies will be nice and crisp. You can buy duck fat in the poultry section of your supermarket. I think the brand is Luv-A-Duck. This is the fat that most chefs use - I have seen it being used on shows like Masterchef.
AnswerID: 482854

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 15:55

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 15:55
Gday
Damn, now i am hungry . I best go and have a feed.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 482855

Sponsored Links