Stolen Generator

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 20:20
ThreadID: 94846 Views:5398 Replies:19 FollowUps:25
This Thread has been Archived
We camped at Ayson's Reserve near Elmore in central Victoria over the easter break. It was a great place with many people camped there. It was very relaxing and on Easter Sunday we went into Bendigo to watch the Easter parade with our children and grand children.
We were a bit worried about leaving all our gear at the camp so we put a hitch lock and tyre clamp on our caravan and took our generator with us in the back of the ute.
Went back to the camp that night for our final night out. We set the generator up again and chained it to the bull bar of the ute. We shut the generator down at about 10.30pm and went to bed.
When we got up in the morning we noticed that our generator was gone, the chain had been cut during the night and the generator stolen.
We walked around the reserve talking to people to see if anyone had noticed anyone hanging around that shouldn't have been there, no one had but we found someone else who had had their generator stolen.
Both were Honda 2KVA inverter generators (our is Model EU20i, Serial No EAAJ-2041611 2273947) and both chained up.
There were many other items in the reserve not locked up such as push bikes, outboard motors, solar panals etc that were not touched.
We notified the police who said that we had very little chace of ever seeing it again.
This week we have tried to claim the theft on our insurances:
CIL caravan insurance advised that they only cover item stolen from within the caravan where forced entry can be proven.
CGU house and contents insurance would not cover it.
CGU motor vehicle insurance would only cover items to a value of $500 but as our excess is $500 would not accept the claim.
We were advised by CGU motor vehicle insurance that in future we could nominate valuable camping equipment on our insurance policy and they would be covered.
This has left us very disolusioned with insurance companies and the parasites that stole our generator (replacement value about $2,000).
Lesson learnt, properly sercure your valuable items to try to protect your self from these parasites and check what you are covered for with your insurance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 20:29

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 20:29
With most insurance companies you have to nominate portable items on your house policy (and pay the extra premium) if you want to be covered for items in the open.
AnswerID: 482890

Follow Up By: Russan - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:12

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:12
Yeah it was a lesson win knowing what you are covered for
FollowupID: 758344

Reply By: Member - Cruiser74 - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 20:38

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 20:38
Russan, Sorry to hear about your stolen generator. I would be extremely angry if that happened to me. For fear of being moderated I will keep this 'G' rated but I really want to say what I really think 'in my own words' of people that do this to others. Absolute Scum and that is putting it mildly.

We often go camping out bush where there is no one around but sadly I just do not trust anyone and whenever we leave a campsite for the day I only leave the things that I would not be too fussed about if they were taken. Anything else of value I pack back in the car and take with me. Unfortunately in your case you were there and these scumbags were cowardly enough to rob you while you were sleeping. We can only hope that something really bad befalls the people that did this. What goes around comes around mate. Take heart in that fact.

Craig
AnswerID: 482891

Follow Up By: Member - Tony N (WA) - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 22:49

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 22:49
Russan , sorry to hear of your lose.I use a alarmed cable lock, can be purchased in different lengths & go off like crazy if tampered with. Google it ,I think alarmlocks is one supplier cheers Tony N
Cheers Tony N
Dum_Spiro_Spero."While I breathe, I hope"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 758163

Follow Up By: Russan - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:28

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:28
Cruiser74 thanks for your post. We like to camp out bush sometimes as well. I think there is probable less chance of having things stolen if you are well away from towns or major roads.
We also believe that what goes around comes around.
FollowupID: 758350

Follow Up By: Russan - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:31

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:31
Thanks tony N I will look them up they sound like a great sercurity device.
FollowupID: 758352

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 20:52

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 20:52
Do you think that you may have upset somebody by running your generator until 10:30pm in a crowded campground?
I agree that insurance can be a minefield, it always pays to read the PDS thoroughly & then you can tailor your policy to your own requirements.
Keep an eye on eBay & Gumtree sales!

AnswerID: 482893

Follow Up By: Russan - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:39

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:39
Shaker, warranted criticism about how late we ran the generator although there were several others still running after we turned ours off but we realise that that is no excuse for us running ours so late.
We will be assessing our insurance policies to find out exactly what we are covered for and nominating expensive item we want covered.
FollowupID: 758355

Reply By: ChrisE - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 21:19

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 21:19
Along the lines of Shakers reply, did you check the surrounding bush? Maybe upset someones quiet retreat with your generator, especially running it until 10pm? I would seriously reconsider spending the money on another, if you want the luxury of power, then consider sticking to van parks (there is lots of nice ones around that area) and then you won't have to worry about one being stolen again, less weight to carry etc. and won't disturb others relaxing quiet holidays.
Check out some other insurance companies, but they all are only there to take your money and not give it back.
AnswerID: 482902

Follow Up By: kevmac....(WA) - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 22:37

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 22:37
Tomorrow i go shopping for chain and padlocks for both my gennie and my new Engel.................and Chriss ppl have gennies so they can go "bushcamping"for the relative solitude and lack of cost
FollowupID: 758161

Follow Up By: ChrisE - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 09:52

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 09:52
Kevmac on cost I think you need to do your sums......... You can buy a very decent setup with battery's solar panel led lights etc. for what you would spend on a genie, it would be lighter to pull around, (less fuel), and you wouldn't have a very easy target worth $1000 bucks at the local pub for someone to walk away with advertising itself from the noise it makes all night sitting near your van. Also much safer than fuelling and carrying fuel around.

As for solitude - with a genie? Not my idea of solitude....

Even though not a fan of them obviously, still no excuse for pinching it or putting it a river like some others, but if you camped next to me by 8 I would be switching the fuel off occasionally.....
FollowupID: 758186

Follow Up By: kevmac....(WA) - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 22:47

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 22:47
Chris am always considerate of other campers when using my gennie, unlike some backpacking travellers that will party rather vocally til all hours of the morning
FollowupID: 758252

Follow Up By: Russan - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:48

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:48
ChrisE, We realise now that we probably did run the generator too late. It was however a very busy with an estimated 50-60 camps and most running generators. No excuse for us running it so late though. We are now considering using batteries and solar panels as an alternative to a generator.
We would like to think if someone had a problem with us running the generator late they would have mentioned it to us rather than tampering with such an expensive piece of equipment.
We had a good look around but think it was probably someone from one of the nearby towns
FollowupID: 758359

Reply By: River Swaggie - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 22:45

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 22:45
So to hear your bad luck

When i bought mine the salesman told me about the lengths people will go to get there hands on a Honda Genny....

Try and get your serial to Cash Converters and the like....
AnswerID: 482912

Follow Up By: Russan - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:54

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:54
Thank River Swaggie some good suggestions
FollowupID: 758361

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 23:24

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 23:24
Thieves are always about, and the 4WD crowd have as many as any other group. From 1972 to 1983, the brother and I owned, and worked a gold mine part time, at Higginsville, between Kambalda and Norseman. We had a fully-equipped major campsite on the mine, with several ex-railways buildings that were locked, plus a couple of outbuildings that weren't.

The amount of touring 4WD tourists who thought everything on the mine site was theirs for the taking was mind boggling. One time we returned to do some more work, and found that some 4WD campers had lived on the site for at least a couple of days, had dined well on BBQ'ed crayfish (as evidenced by their fire) - then they broke into all 3 locked, 3-room buildings, and helped themselves to nearly everything they could possibly carry away.

They stole our 5KVA Honda/Dunlite genset (a two-man lift), all the sheets, quilts, & pillows from all the beds, all the mirrors (about 6), most of the crockery and cutlery, as well as a wide range of other electrical household items, too numerous to mention.
The way they did this so brazenly, not knowing if anyone would return at any minute, is the mind-boggling part.
Being way out in the bush is no guarantee you're far from thieves. These thieving minesite campers didn't even bother trying to hide their tracks, we could see all the tyre treads clearly.

Insurance crowds are as useless as a hip pocket on a singlet. The best thing you can do nowadays is slip a little GPS tracking device into your more expensive possessions.
AnswerID: 482918

Follow Up By: Russan - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:02

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:02
Ron you really do lose faith in people with this happens. It seem that some people have no respect or thought for what others work hard to buy. I feel for you mate our loss was nothing compared to yours.
FollowupID: 758363

Reply By: fisho64 - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 23:47

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 23:47
when you buy a flash genny such as a Honda and intend keeping it, why not paint it bright yellow blue and/or green?

It'll have zero resale value when stolen and will still do exactly what you want it to.
AnswerID: 482921

Follow Up By: Russan - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:05

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:05
Fisho64 if we do get another genny thats exactly what we will be doing
FollowupID: 758364

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 23:48

Thursday, Apr 12, 2012 at 23:48
many moons ago we had a meeting with some govt dudes out on the Aboriginal community, the subject came up about the "stolen Generation" ............
Old fella up the back got really crabby and started yelling at the govt dudes ....
EH ALL YOU WHITE FELLAS, I ALLREADY TOLD YA'S, I DONT KNOW NUTHIN ABOUT THAT STOLEN GENERATOR ....
hahahha sorry buddy but i could not resist it
Hope you work it out ok
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 482922

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 00:09

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 00:09
Ha ha! That's good! [:-)

But the bush Abo's usually don't bother with gensets. They'll pinch fuel, pinch your car to get home - or try to bum something off you - like $20 for eats, 'cos they "haven't eaten for days!". [;-)

The brother was zipping up the road from Norseman to Kambalda in the mid-1980's in his HJ61 - and he saw the Abo's car stopped at the side of the Coolgardie-Norseman Rd., near the Redross mine.

The Abo's all stood in the middle of the road and flagged him down (like they do), and the car driver came over to the brother, and said - "Ehh, mate, we gotta flat tyre! - and we got no spare!" (no surprise there). "Could we borrow your spare to get to Kalgoorlie?"

The brother says - "Sorry mate, I can't help you - you got a Holden, I got a Landcruiser! My spare won't fit your car!"

This led to a crestfallen look - and then the old Abo says - "Hey, you got any oil we could borrow?

The brother says - "No, I haven't got any oil. Why do you want oil?"

"Well" - says the old blackfella - "when the tyre blew, the tread came off, and it knocked the cork outta the sump, and we lost all the engine oil, too!!" LOL
FollowupID: 758167

Reply By: gbc - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 05:25

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 05:25
Two gensets gone and nothing else?

I'd say someone's sending you a very clear message about generators and camp sites.
AnswerID: 482927

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 07:43

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 07:43
I'm thinking the same, I've also heard of a similar thing happening in Vic at a holiday weekend campsite, except in that case there were four gennies liberated, all were found sitting on the bottom of the waterhole in the creek minus the filler caps for water and oil. They had been drained and then dumped in the water.
FollowupID: 758172

Follow Up By: Russan - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:14

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:14
I would like to think that if we upset someone with our generator they would come and talk to me about it not not just take and expensive item like that. Not trying to make excuses for us using the generator late but there were several that were still going after ours was shut down for this night that were not taken.
FollowupID: 758366

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 06:27

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 06:27
Unfortunately we live in times where people would steal the shirt off your back and not give it another thought.

But on insurance companies, it is easy to become despondent when items are not covered, but at the risk of defending insurance companies, PDS and policy documents clearly define what they will and won't cover - unfortunately many don't read the documentation until a claim is made and assume everything is covered, blaming the insurance provider when it isn't. And 'm not telling you to suck eggs here, but it is a problem of our own making.
AnswerID: 482928

Follow Up By: Russan - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:18

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:18
Your right Landy we need to know exactly what we are covered for and nominate extra items that we want covered on our policies
FollowupID: 758369

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 08:34

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 08:34
Ok here are a couple of things that might help.

Now this chain..was it just common or garden hardware shop chain??

That stuff is very easy to cut with bolt cutters.

If you are going to buy chain for security purposes, at least buy high grade alloy chain and as big as you can handle.
Transport or lifting chain is very much harder to cut than mild steel.....ya need a very good set of bolt cutters and lots of wheaties for breakfast just to cut 8mm......and if ther are not a real good set of bolt cutters that won't be much use afterward.
If ya want to make progress on that stuff with a hack saw, it will have to be an "all hard" blade and in a vice

Now a nice trick from trail & track magazine from back in the 70's.

take ya alloy chain and thread some flexible steel wire rope thru the links.....the wire does not need to be big but it needs to be thru every link....then have an eye swaged on each end to match up with the chain.

It makes a very hard to cut combination ya cant get wire cutters in because the chain is in the way and the bolt cutters wont work because the wire stops the jaws from following thru
And cutting it with a hacksaw is just a right royal PITA.

As for the need for a generator.......this day and age..there should be absolutely no justification for running a generator at night in a camp site.

LED lighting has made it simply unnecessary and sorry you simply don't need anything else that will only run on 240V..

Not to mention the very real dangers of portable 240V supplies that most people are totally oblivious to.

cheers
AnswerID: 482942

Follow Up By: Russan - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:22

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:22
Thanks Bantam some good suggestions to secure any items we want to keep. I think that rather than buying another generator we will look into setting the caravan up with batteries and solar panels as you mentioned
FollowupID: 758371

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 09:18

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 09:18
I think going down the solar route is a good idea. My van has several solar panels, LED lighting, 40A dc-dc charger and AGM batteries and I am self suffcient under most circumstances.

However, as good as solar is, you still need sunshine. If you have several days of cloudy/wet weather while parked up you will need to somehow recharge your batteries. I carry a Honda 2eu but have only had to use it once since I installed solar to recharge my batteries.

Point being, as good as solar is, it is not guarrenteed like a generator and depending how long you typically stay put, you will possibly still need to carry one, but rarely use it, to 100% guarentee battery charging capability.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 758400

Reply By: Michaeljp - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 10:27

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 10:27
I friend from work told us this story that happened last year somewhere in northern nsw. A bloke had his generater runing away from his camp site so as not to bother other people with the noise. He was in the van cooking and for a second or two the power dropped then picked up again, he thought nothing of it. The next morning he went to get his genny as he was packing up to leave and some scum bag swapped his new you beaut genny for a elcheapo supercheap one. Thats was the power drop he noticed the night before when they did the swap.
AnswerID: 482971

Follow Up By: Russan - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:25

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:25
A freind told me a similar story also.
FollowupID: 758374

Reply By: Member - Cruiser74 - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 10:39

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 10:39
Hi all,

There appears to be a common thread developing on here about the generator being stolen because of inconsiderate use after hours. I agree that it is very annoying when people have their gennies pumping at all hours but hear this....IT IS NO EXCUSE FOR THEFT! What's wrong with politely letting the campers know that their generator is bothering them and could they switch it off after a certain time? If they're not comfortable with confrontation maybe a note on the gennie saying they're fed up and could they refrain from using it? Whatever. The answer is not cutting a chain designed to keep it secure and stealing it. Someone has worked hard to afford that generator and does not deserve to have it stolen by some cowards while they are sleeping! Does that mean the next weekend my neighbours have a party I am within my rights to go and steal their stereo system because their music is still loud after midnight? Let's not lose our morals here folks :)
AnswerID: 482972

Follow Up By: Russan - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:31

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:31
Thanks Cruiser 74 we accept the criticism that we ran the generator later than we should have but we also think that if we did upset someone by doing this they would talk to us about it rather that steeling an expensive item such as this.
FollowupID: 758377

Reply By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 11:32

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 11:32
In N.S.W. the serial number of the Honda that you provided to the police goes into a computer system that is accessed by second hand dealers, and should come up if it is sold. I pretty sure that VICPOL have a similar system. The catch here is the honesty of the second hand dealer in advising the police that he has received something that's 'hot'.

However, if it is not sold through a second hand dealer you've lost it.

I purchased some of that stainless steel wire that's used in buildings and which is strung between railings on landings and on stairs to secure my Honda to the van chassis. I was assured that it is difficult to cut, even with bolt cutters as it squashes when pressure is applied, and that a special cutter is required. But after reading this post I'm going to get a quality chain.

Thieves are usually opportunists, and its usual for them if taking attractive items to move very quickly, and if they cannot do the theft in the space of a few seconds they move on, as the chance of being detected gets better the longer they stay. So the harder it is for thieves to knock stuff off, the greater is the likelyhood that they'll leave it alone.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, and I hope something horrible happens to the bastards, but it's a good heads up for all of us.

Respecting insurance companies, they promise the world until you make a claim and then you're told to look at chapter #3012 in the 4000 page book they provided with your policy. I had a similar situation occur to me, and after being knocked back, I contacted the Insurance Industry Ombudsman. I'm sure that that crowd work for the insurance industry, not the consumer, because they were no help whatsoever.
AnswerID: 482978

Follow Up By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 20:21

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 20:21
Richard,
Agree with your last comment It seems to appliy to all industry self regulation systems
just like complaining to the cops about police brutality
cheers
howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 758237

Follow Up By: Russan - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:35

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:35
Thanks Richard if we get another generator we will be looking into means of securing it better and also nominating it on our car insurance
FollowupID: 758379

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 14:15

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 14:15
Rant warning!!

And before we start beating up insurance companies, as a number have already, failure to understand what you get for your money is hardly the insurance companies fault if you don’t read the documents.

Put it this way – would you hand over your hard earned cash for a second hand four-wheel drive after just a cursory glance at the outside appearance and what the person selling it has told you about it. Or would you first open the bonnet, take a good look around, slide underneath to make sure nothing is hidden there that might catch you out at some time in the future?

Most wouldn’t, so why is it that people don’t do the same level of due diligence when buying insurance, take a good look beyond the front cover of the booklet to make sure you are getting what you want, and that there is nothing in it that might give you cause for concern in the future.
Most insurance disputes arise because people are not covered for what they expected, despite it all (emphasis on “all”) being laid out in simple English...if only they took the time to read it!

Rant over - good weekend to all..!

AnswerID: 482997

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 02:43

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 02:43
True!!

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 758254

Reply By: GT Campers - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 14:57

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 14:57
10.30pm.. you deserved a talking to, but not to have your genny pinched...

Frdges are another 'hot' item for campground crooks
AnswerID: 483001

Reply By: Member - Anthony W Adelaide - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 16:10

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 16:10
What on earth were you using a generator for at all, let alone at 10.30pm.

If you were camped next to me and had it running at that time I would throw the %^&$#*@ thing in the river too.

Why do people need the stupid things for anyway? Its only fridges, lighting or maybe a laptop for a short time which can all run off car battery 12v systems quite happily.

I thought the idea of going bush was to get away for some peace and quiet and leave all the unessecary crap at home.

If you need a generator you may as well stay home and use your air-con or whatever else.

Cheers
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 483005

Follow Up By: Russan - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:49

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 21:49
Anthony
We will probably set our caravan up with batteries and solar panels rather than replace the generator as mentioned by several reply's.
We would like to think though that if a fellow camper had a reasonable complaint with something we were doing they would talk to us about it rather than tampering with an expensive piece of equipment.
FollowupID: 758383

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:17

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:17
I'm 100% lock step with you Wooly, but you gotta be careful saying thing like this. Yesterday I wondered aloud on this forum what people needed all this power for and for my troubles got accused of being inconsiderate for having a camp fire! True - see thread 94876!

Apparently it's now ok to have generators all dy and night but not camp fires FFS.

I'm glad there's plenty of secluded patches near me where I can get away from it all, especially generators!

But well said.

To those who suggest asking the owner politely to turn it off - having seen people on the receiving end of abusive responses, I can understand why people don't!

FollowupID: 758402

Reply By: steved58 - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 19:11

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 19:11
Different strokes for different folks I like my gennie when needed but never leave it out unless running
Steve
AnswerID: 483023

Reply By: theanimal - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 04:48

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 04:48
sugar in the petrol tank, simple and effective. silences the noisest generator, no need to talk to the owner and risk getting abused.

If they are so inconsiderate and unaware of the noise they are making, talking will do little.
AnswerID: 483245

Sponsored Links