best or better???????

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 01:25
ThreadID: 9485 Views:1775 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
The problem is /// the question is /// Morton island or Fraser island ,,,10 days ,,, which do you choose,,, pros and cons for each if you please,,, starting point Brisbane,,, give me and she who must be obeyed your views,,,,,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chris (W.A.) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 07:20

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 07:20
Sorry mate, no answer to your question but are actually a pub publican?

Nice southerly coastal fishing trip someday.
Chris
AnswerID: 41695

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 10:56

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 10:56
Yes, semi retired ,now only "work" 3 days per wk for 3 wks per mth.
FollowupID: 304158

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 15:10

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 15:10
I just always wondered, that was all.Nice southerly coastal fishing trip someday.
Chris
FollowupID: 304176

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:21

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:21
I've never been to Moreton!

but of the research I've done i can't see that you'd occupy 10 days.

FRaser on the other hand...
AnswerID: 41698

Reply By: Brian - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:25

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:25
I've never been to Moreton either, we'll go one day, but not until we've exhausted ourselves on Fraser Island.... INHO Fraser is Paradise on earth!!!!!! For 10 days you will have plenty to see and do and no chance of getting bored!!!!!!!
Just take care of it!!
Just my opinion
Cheers
Brian
AnswerID: 41700

Reply By: Rod - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:51

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:51
Have recently returned from Qld and visited and camped on both Islands.
There is no simple answer to your question as everyone has different objectives about how they can best utilise their holiday time.
Moreton is close to Brisbane, it is a small island and circumnavigating it is not possible at low tide particularly at the s/w end, we had to stop and wait for the water to receed before we continued. The island is beautiful in an untouched sought of way as not many people go there (no backpackers in troopies) possibly due to the higher car ferry costs. Beach camping is great but take some sandfly repellent.
Fraser island is huge and well travelled, getting about is easy. There are lots of inland tracks that take you to the various lakes, some tracks can be a little rough. Beach camping is plentiful and there are various shops along the beach for essentials.
We found lots of backpackers in troopies south of Indian Head but further north
things quiten down and that is where we spent most of our time, there are some good spots to camp around ocean lake.
Accessing fraser by barge is cheaper if you do it from the south end (inskip) and the run we had on the mainland beach from tewantin to inskip (at low tide) is not to be missed.
Picking either island is not a hard choice as im sure you will enjoy either of them and dont forget to reduce your tyre pressures befor you hit the sand.
AnswerID: 41704

Follow Up By: Brian - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:29

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:29
Rod
I am interested to know how you went at both north and south Ngkala Rocks?
I haven't been up there yet as we have so far been there solo and I would prefer the "buddy" system north of Orchid Beach. I have been told that Ngkala Rocks are both easy and difficult, depending on who I was asking.
What is your opinion?
Cheers
Brian
FollowupID: 304164

Follow Up By: Member - Ross - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 14:40

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 14:40
G'day Brian

Not usurping Rod's spot here, but we were up Fraser way last Sept.

Ngala rocks can be a bit tricky, but only due to very soft sand and the gradient .. again that depends on time of year and weather etc etc.

We had left pressure at about 24 psi before tackling the track behind the rocks and found the going a tad difficult but only required a more positive approach in 2nd low. Dropped the pressure on the North side to about 20 and had no probs on our return.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about that end of the island on your pat as there's always someone travelling in that neck of the woods if you needed a hand. Depends on time of year but I'd be surprised if someone didn't happen along in 20 minutes or so.

Cheers

Fidei defensor

Rosco
FollowupID: 304174

Reply By: Member - Ross - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 09:34

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 09:34
If you're trying to avoid crowds go to Moreton ... top spot and similar to Fraser only on a smaller scale. When comparing costs there's not a lot of difference after taking into account the cost of getting to Inskip Pt. versus the mouth of the Brisbane River.

Fraser is undoubtedly the pick of the two but Moreton is a top spot to avoid beach maniacs. The logistics of getting to the island mean it's very difficult, if not impossible to find you're sharing it with 1/2 the population of Oz.

CheersFidei defensor

Rosco
AnswerID: 41708

Sponsored Links