Jackaroo Turbo Diesel

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:28
ThreadID: 9487 Views:3406 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Looking to buy a Jackaroo Turbo Diesel 2003,have test drove an auto but was quite gutless,would the manual be any better?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Neetas - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 18:04

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 18:04
Hard to say Grizzy. I had a 4JX1 Jackaroo TDI auto and found it's performance adequate. I'm currently driving a Ford Courier crew cab tdi (2.5) manual which is generally more spritely, due to some degree to the 300 or so kgs lighter in weight. There is some argument that autos mask turbo lag better than manuals but I think that can be largely about picking your shift points on the manual.

To answer your question, I don't think there'd be a lot of difference. Perhaps go for a petrol or something lighter if you want better performance. Another consideration is return on your dollar. The Jackaroo has been around it's current shape since 1995 or 1992 in similar lines, with the only improvements being the engines. So you're likely to do some dough in depreciation compared to the Pajero/Prado.
The high tech 4JX1 is difficult to service and the parts expensive - my 20,000km service cost $900 due to the shim adjustment which is required every 30,000km. I didn't get my rig back for a week as the Holden dealer couldn't perform this simple routine service, due to problems with the injector seals and the general high tech nature of the engine. From my correspondence this seems to be a common problem (do a search in the Forum for Jackaroo issues). I'd do some research to ensure this is your best option, partic given the servicing costs.

My fully optioned Courier is a very well set up and is listed under the Trader section of Exploroz. Please feel free to pass on my details to any interested parties.

Kind regards
Mike
AnswerID: 41736

Reply By: Neetas - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 18:14

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 18:14
Grizzy, refer to Dion's response to posting 9449:

"Their first 3.0L was 1998 manual, and boy oh boy did that have some balls. Now they have another 3.0L 2001 SE for the auto box, because of arthritis problems they both got. You don't really get to appreciate the grunt the engine has driving through the slushbox, but in manual format, it is brilliant. On a gravel road, (with the manual) potter along in third gear, sink the boot into it and watch it spray gravel out the back when the turbo quickly pours the boost on."
Just need to check whether there was any weight gain with the "flared guard" model of 2001 - I think it may have gained 100kgs or so which would have some effect.

Cheers
Mike
AnswerID: 41737

Reply By: brett - Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 22:47

Sunday, Jan 04, 2004 at 22:47
I was looking at one of these 18 months a go and drove both manual and auto and found no difference, most people will say an auto behind a diesel gives a better feel of torque. Anyway never driven a diesel before and was quite dissapointed in the power as most people said the Jackaroo was the best around for power. Ended up with a new Diesel Pajero, soon as I was out of the driveway you could tell how much torque it had, absolutely chalk and cheese. Even if you don't like the Pajero take a diesel for a test drive as a comparison, you'll be amazed at the difference.
AnswerID: 41762

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 17:40

Monday, Jan 05, 2004 at 17:40
I have a t/d 2002 model auto. I'm very impressed with it as a tow vehicle. I tow an 18' tandem jayco van with good economyat around 90kph ( about 8km/litre) but the thing that does drive me insane is the attitude of the dealer I bought it from.. especially his service fees. I do have an email from Holden tho that says I may perform the services myself without voiding waranty if I use genuine parts. "jackerooworld.com" sell genuine parts at about half the Holden price. The auto was reccomended for towing as the gearbox handles the torque better than the manual and no manual clutch to wear out. The important thing to remember is that you have to use the correct viscosity oil in the engine... my dealer didnt know this... and was putting conventional oil in which gave cold weather starting problems...if you have a decent mechanic they can do service work as well and if he is savy he will source engine parts from Isuzu rather than Holden.
AnswerID: 41843

Sponsored Links