taking dog to NT

I am planning a fishing trip to the NT gulf near King Ash
Bay around August for about 4 weeks.
I'm hoping a mate can come along but if he cannot make it, for company I would like to take my dog as I will be going it alone.
The trip will be up to Bourke, Mt Isa than to King Ash Bay.
As I will be self sufficent I will be bush camping along the way.
My questions are:-
Not recommended to take a dog noting that it is not the standard issue white maltese but a bit bigger?
If ok, can I leave her outside the 4wd and she will not attract dingo's. she is desexed?

Honky
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pary01 - Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 23:35

Friday, Apr 13, 2012 at 23:35
Honky not sure of the Dingo attraction but consider the croc's up north if your dog goes down by the river. Also National parks as a camping option would be out of your reach as dogs are not allowed

AnswerID: 483038

Follow Up By: Wayne david - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 00:12

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 00:12
Got to agree with Pary01 on the big water lizards & NP angle. Both were reasons why we didn't take our mutt with us last year to NT.

As a result of leaving the mutt back home with friends we were free as a bird to travel where we wanted & saw some incredible places & didn't have to worry about a thing.
FollowupID: 758253

Reply By: Member - Marilyn P (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 06:08

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 06:08
Honky,
Took my red cattle dog for a trip up to King Ash Bay, Karumba then up to Pomparaaw. He was great company. Was very concerned about him being croc bait but he is very obedient and kept away from the river banks and water edge. If you are going fishing for hours, what do you plan to do with your dog. Tied up to a car or tent is a risk - depending on where you are - more from heat than crocs - can be warm up there even in August. Didn't have any issues with dingoes - but know of pigs eating dogs on a chain.
Marilyn
AnswerID: 483044

Follow Up By: Honky - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 07:51

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 07:51
Thanks Marilyn, Did not consider pigs.
I was going to take the dog in the boat with me.
Maybe not a good idea.
Thanks everyone.

Honky
FollowupID: 758257

Reply By: mike39 - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 08:21

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 08:21
Honky.
We have taken our dog (sadly no longer with us) all over that Gulf area without any drama (full size bull terrier)
Our main concern was, and still would be, the dog picking up a 1080 bait.
The whole topend region is heavily baited and there would be no worse ending for a well loved mate.
mike
AnswerID: 483051

Reply By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 10:41

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 10:41
I take my two pan lickers with me, I don't have any choice.

I keep them tied up, except when I walk them, and even then they on a lead.
At night they go in the back of the vehicle, where they cannot get out and it's well ventilated. Just ensure that they have lots of clean, cool water.

I don't camp close to water holes either, as I know dogs have been taken by crocs, the bit about dingo's or pigs, I'd say they would be reluctant to approach a camp if someone is around.

Take your dogs, you cannot enter national parks with them, but you may pass through on public roads. Just be a responsible dog owner. It's not hard.
AnswerID: 483068

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 11:40

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 11:40
There is the view that a dog is a good sacrificial anode for crocks and other "wind life".

A smart dog will spot a crock before you...they just know.

Better the dog than you...remember while humans can generally swim faster than dogs, once on land they are faster than you...so is the crock.

cheers
AnswerID: 483075

Follow Up By: OutBack Wanderers - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 16:00

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 16:00
Bush myths told by my late father

Should you spot a goanna whom spots you, lay flat on ground, as goannas love to climb and if your the only thing taller than surrounding bush, your it.

When being chased by croc, zig-zag, as crocs can only run in straight line

Have never tried out these myths, I hope they work should I find myself in these predictaments, LOL LOL

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 758307

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 16:34

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 16:34
alternative bush facts.

Crocks can't climb trees
goanas like to run in straight lines
a small tree will only hold one man

no pair of trousers is big enough for a man and a small goanna.

cheers
FollowupID: 758312

Follow Up By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:44

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:44
You don't have to run faster than a croc. Just run faster than whoever you're with !!
FollowupID: 758357

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:50

Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 20:50
exactly my point even a short legged dog will run faster than you.
FollowupID: 758360

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 02:39

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 02:39
Just had a Lady here at Mt Bundy for 3 days, she is from Perth and travels alone except for a large Dog in her motor home, she toog Dog for a walk down closer to the Adelaide River and got into the bamboos on the river edge , the next thing she heard was it yelping in pain, I know there is a Saltie around 4.5m plus in the area but the Dog wouldn't be here if it had grabbed it, A freshie wouldn't attack a large Dog, the Kelpies swin in the ponds where there are 1.8m Freshies so my opinion is that the crock was more than likely a small Saltie, the Dog had tooth Puncture marks on a front leg, 1 on the chest, and the skin on the shoulder was badly torn, That was trip to the nearest Vet 80 Klms away, I'd say 1 very lucky Dog.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 483144

Sponsored Links