It may only take one to stuff it up for us all

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 14, 2012 at 22:40
ThreadID: 94899 Views:2984 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Over Easter I went down to a friends block of land near the entrance of calcup hill on the warren river (south of pemberton)....a bit of a tradition.

On the Saturday some bugger or buggers decided to cut the fence protecting the dune at the last section of the calcup climb. I can only assume that their fourby was either gutless, cant drive sand dunes, or they did not have their tyre pressures down enough, so they cut the dune fencing so that they could have a better run up.

Add to this some campers decided to leave piles of rubbish in their bags at the information bay for someone else to pick up because they were too lazy (read did not give a toss about the area) to drop in at the camper bins at pemberton or northcliffe.

I hope these creatures that do this get caught, or dobbed in, and never show their faces in this area again.

Also, when the signs say 10psi.....it does not mean 25psi as some drivers seem to think is best.

Well....that's my bitch for now.

BW.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cruiser74 - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 01:26

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 01:26
Hey Bush, we love that area and frequent it a lot. It upsets me to hear that people treat the place like it's a tip. We always go down there outside of Long weekends and school holidays because I simply do not want to share with a bunch of thoughtless morons (yourself excluded of course!). Unfortunately you come across this nearly everywhere you go, I am staggered by the ignorance of some people.

At City Beach about a month ago enjoying a picnic and a few beverages with my girlfriend and some close friends. A seemingly "normal" family in front of us having just enjoyed the sunset proceeded to pack up and leave taking everything but their beer/wine bottles, plastic cups, juice containers and chip packets from their kids. I couldn't let it go so followed them to their car and politely asked if they had even considered putting their rubbish in the bin. Out of embarrassment they returned to clean up their mess as I had caused a scene but I wonder the trail of garbage they have left behind them in the past....and the message that sends to their kids? Just makes me want to SCREAM!!

AnswerID: 483142

Follow Up By: Member - Corrugate75 - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 08:21

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 08:21
Good on you Cruiser74 for following them up.
And less so, good that they came back, once reminded, and did tidy up.
People that throw everything in the fire (wads plastic, aluminium cans etc) annoy me too, leaving a big pile of mostly unburnt rubbish...
Cheers
Corrugate
FollowupID: 758394

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 08:25

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 08:25
Yep,its not just the morons - I think there's a whole generation coming through who leave their rubbish because there's "someone else who's job it is to clean it up".
FollowupID: 758395

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 09:15

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 09:15
Just to put a different perspective on the "generations" thing

past generations were far worse at littering the bush than these days

trps out bush will confirm this as at old campsites its pretty obvious nothing was taken out.
Only thing is now we consider them attractions such as old sandlewood cutters camps with thier piles of bottles and tabacco tins as well as other assorted junk

as for today

i dont even ask why anymore

alot of people dont care - you cant explain it to them because they dont care.

we were on our way to the airport and an olive python was crossing the road and the driver just ran it over

I asked what the heck and the other people in the car including the driver looked at me as if i was stupid

- what was MY problem? it was on the road what did i expect them to do stop? go around it? (both were easy to do speed limmit is low and road is long and straight)
FollowupID: 758399

Follow Up By: Bush Wanderer - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:28

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:28
Spot on getoutmore.

Our early pioneers did the same thing.

I have done a bit of prospecting around mt magnet. It's amazing when you are a number of kilometres offroad, in bush that appears never to have seen a car, you find a nice spot, the detector goes off, you dig for a few minutes, and you came across on old fire pit with cans and horse shoes.....two feet down. I spent more time digging up old fire pits then anything else.

I recall seeing a pic on this forum about a huge load of rubbish left at a bin up the cape.....how hard can it be to take it with you especially in a bag on your rear tyres ?

BW.
FollowupID: 758403

Follow Up By: Member - Justin O (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 15:53

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 15:53
Try digging 4- 6 inches under the lovely green couch grass at Middle Rocks/Champagne Pools on Fraser Is and you will find a massive rubbish tip from the burn, bash and bury days.
FollowupID: 758428

Follow Up By: SDG - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 22:19

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 22:19
On a recent trip, the tread on my tyre decided that it wanted to leave the rest of the wheel. After changing the wheel, my 11year old son was trying to put the thrown off tread in the back of the car. He did not want to leave it on the side of the road, not that I was going to.
Not wanting it in the car, I put it on the roof rack and dropped it off later in a large enough bin.

Such a tiresome, difficult chore. Should have left it on the side of the road where everybody else does.
(sarcasm for those who could not hear the tone in my voice.)
FollowupID: 758482

Reply By: vk1dx - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:14

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:14
And it's everywhere.

As said above: "a lot of people don't care - you cant explain it to them because they don't care"

Walking from the car park to the hospital entrance with quite a few people around, the bloke in front of me threw a bunch of sheets of papers on the ground. I was so angry. It may have been my upcoming chemo that added to my anger, but I said very loudly for him to pick it up. I got some weird looks as if I had done the wrong thing. But I walked right up to him and again said to pick up the rubbish he threw on the ground. He started rambling on that it wasn't his etc etc. I nearly blue a valve right then.Well with a little eye to eye he relented and picked it up. I still got weird looks.

What the bloody hell is this country coming to. But I will still speak out.

At least years ago if anyone got caught they would have picked it up a lot quicker.

Phil
AnswerID: 483166

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:59

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:59
If you see these grubs littering, and they refuse to pick up their rubbish, you can always remind them that it's a chargeable offence under littering laws to dump rubbish, with local councils enforcing littering charges.

You can either advise them you've made note of the offence and you're going to leave the details with the council - or if they're a threatening bunch, just take pics and leave the details and a statement with the council. The council will usually follow it up, and most people don't understand that littering laws have teeth.

I just cannot understand the mentality of people who party all day on the beach and then just walk away from their rubbish. They reckon part of the problem is that the Govt is cutting down on littering education.
I don't know what happened to parental education, that's the place where littering education started, I thought.
AnswerID: 483174

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 13:13

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 13:13
Hi all,

For those that feel strongly about this please sign up with the Keep Australia Beautiful's Litter reporter scheme. I am going to re-post this as a new thread as well. To get involved click on this link:

http://www.kabc.wa.gov.au/litter-reporting/litter-reporter-registration.html

Basically once you sign up you get a pack delivered with about 10 post card size cards to fill out should you see someone littering, flicking a ciggie butt out of a car etc etc. If you see someone throwing
litter from a car, take note of the:
vehicle registration;
make and model of the vehicle
time and place that the offence was committed; and
provide a description of the litter that was dropped.
The completed card can be mailed to the KABC office
without stamp or envelope. The information you provide
will normally result in the issue of an infringement
notice to the offender. You may, on rare ocasions,
be required to attend a Magistrate’s court to provide
evidence should the offence be disputed.

I keep these handy in my car and have used them a couple of times especially when d***heads throw ciggie butts out of their car. This enrages me and it's good to be able to actually do something about it. I have a close friend in the fire department and he said that 80% of all bushfires attended to are because of careless disposal of ciggie butts. He sees the destruction first hand of flora and fauna and even on occasions people's homes and lives.

Thanks

Craig
FollowupID: 758421

Reply By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 14:36

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 14:36
Recently in a country town in Qld, I saw an indigenous person who was parked, spit his wad of gum out the the car window. When I politely suggested he recover it. "What the Fxxx's it got to do with you ... you racist cxxx". We have some lovely people in this country.

John
AnswerID: 483184

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 16:09

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 16:09
On our trips I am always amazed at the mess most aboriginal communities (towns) are with rubbish just lying around the streets. Even where there are rubbish bins there would still be rubbish on the ground and the bins empty.
I then read that it is the culture of aboriginal people. Apparently it goes back to their days in the bush, before the arrival of non aboriginal people. They would just throw their rubbish on the ground. Their rubbish was not like we have now, but they believe that the rubbish now is non aboriginal rubbish anyway. Please do not label me as a racist; I am just stating a fact. I may be wrong, but it sort of explained to me why they do not seem to have any pride in their towns. I think?
As for everyone else, I really just do not get how anyone can just throw rubbish about. Just does not make sense.
Kevin
AnswerID: 483193

Follow Up By: Marny - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 19:33

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 19:33
Yeah Im hearing you. On a recent fishing trip to the menindee lakes I was Disgusted when the local " Guardians of the land" packed up and left a full carton of VB stubbies scattered over the river bank.
FollowupID: 758459

Reply By: Life Member - esarby (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 16:35

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 16:35
It is not only in the bush that this happens. Outside our corner shop there is a Council rubbish bin. Very handy for people to drop in the wrappers as they leave. No every morning when getting my paper there is a heap of Macca's boxes, bags, bottles and cardboard cups thrown on the ground around the bin. Some people are thoughtful though, they do put everything into a plastic bag before throwing it out on the footpath. As you say it starts at home. You must wonder what the lounge room looks like.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 483196

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 22:54

Sunday, Apr 15, 2012 at 22:54
I always thought they should restart the 'Keep Australia Beautiful' Campaign they ran many years ago.
The one that depicted people as pigs when they littered and suggested that you wouldn't throw rubbish on your lounge room floor why do it outside, on the street, beach or in the bush, its still our home.
It ran for years on TV, and was very successful at that time.

Was a good campaign that educated and increased the awareness of people to think somewhat by shaming them.

I guess if our Federal Government had some money available after their 4 year spending spree and a sense of social awareness then they may consider funding it again, since they lack both I guess I'm dreaming :((

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 483234

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 09:58

Monday, Apr 16, 2012 at 09:58
yea you never see anti litter adds anumore

KESAB?

keep south australia beutifull

tidy towns?

someones gonna get hurt this summer if someone doesnt use a bin?

use your head use a bin pick it up put it in?

all the stuff that used to be on TV when i was a kid
FollowupID: 758507

Sponsored Links